Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By skeptical I mean are you quick to accept something you see online or offline (mostly online though) or are you jaded enough that you accept something after the fact or accept nothing at all?

I'd been thinking about this myself because after many years of online travels from cyber sea to cyber sea, it's difficult for me to accept anything at face value, especially when it comes to online gaming. It seems like virtually everything I run into is a fraud, so I've adopted the policy of everyone online is a crazy 40 year old male plumber with chronic halitosis and a peg leg. I know that isn't true, but people make up so many things these days with the comfort of relative anonymity that I sort of tune out much of what people have to say as far as establishing a personal identity. This is especially true in online games, where it seems like maybe 1 out of 10 characters will be "true to life" as it were.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I've been made skeptical. I've trusted enough times the wrong people to know everyone is a crazy 40 year old male plumber with chronic halitosis and a peg leg :p . People is almost always nicer, prettier, smarter and so in the net, so i try not believe or unbelive, but simply don't care. So that would be a yes. Sadly, it was funnier when i trsuted people...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
In RL I tend to be quite trusting, but I don't tend to accept anything I see online at face value.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I believe everyone has their little secrets that they keep. It might be an embarassing memory. Maybe you are into roleplaing, pretending to be something else. Something you don't want others to know just yet, like a surprise. Or maybe it is something that would be classified as illegal.

Whatever it is, keeping the information secret is important to you in one way or another. Personally I think that is an important part of being human, I believe everyone have the right to keep secrets and have some privacy. Some people want to take that away, and for some reason these people often end up getting their way. I don't know why, but there has to be some kind of combination of fear/curiousity/uncertainty involved. If you read and think alot, you can outsmart anyone though.

Ask yourself this though, if you knew everything, how fun would your life be?

For me, the fantasies, secrets and thoughts is really what makes me feel alive. I, myself played a few mmorpgs and I sometimes picked female avatars even though I am guy. Usually if someone asks if I'm a girl I tell them what do I look like?, simply because it's a ROLE PLAYING GAME, you don't necessarily have to make your avatar a clone of yourself and sticking to your character is what you are supposed to do. But then again if you join a community/guild or whatever it becomes harder to not reveal your true identity, that's another topic though.

I regularly listen to a radiostation on the web that brings up both sides of news story items and other articles, and ever since I started listening I can almost immediately tell if a story is bogus or not. But people is another thing, it can be really hard to tell if they are what they pretend to be sometimes, but that's ok with me.

And remember that not revealing a secret doesn't necessarily mean that you are lying, it just means you have a piece of information that you do not want to share with others at the moment.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
I rarely put my trust into people, and I always doubt them. So yes, I am skeptical.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
If it's on people, I tend to be very trusting, at least at first.(yeah go wonder, I really like relying on people, instead of them relying on me all the time -.-) However once someone dissapoints me it's quit hard for them to win my trust again. :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm very gullible. It gets annoying sometimes.

I'm reminded of Jackie Brown. "I don't trust her, but I trust her to be herself."

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Offline, I've been trying follow the policy that the default is that you start out trusting, and then if you are betrayed you become more cynical.

I'm not too good at it, though, because I'm quite paranoid about people. But so far it has got me better results than my previous "trust no one" policy :) (But you got to be careful, though: never trust too much in anyone.)

Online I'm very skeptical of everyone, but since I've no means to verify anything, it's useless to worry about it. It's not like online persons can ruin your life or anything :p

Now, if you're speaking about "good deals" online, or things like that, I'm always skeptical. I may eventually miss a really good deal, but it'll keep me out of a lot of really bad deals a lot of time.

The Skeptic's Dictionary - my home on the internet ;)

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Yourself? ;)

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Just becuase your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya ;)

Anyways I'd say I have a habit of weighing up things before I respond :p.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I used to believe more too. Nowadays i dont care about anything besides me....
OT:
Kane-Sama:
What do u mean by "face value", i didnt get the expression?

Strider:
Nice sig! I want one like that too!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts