Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I failed an IQ test online. It has some word problems, conversation and grammer analysis. The questions seem to get harder exponentially, or maybe it is just me??

I only ask because I always seem to lose in any social conversation. Perhaps its because I am alone for too long? I rarely talk to people in reality and usually no more than 50 sentences come out of my mouth each day. People always respond before I can answer them quick enough. I can't even beat a newbie in any online game.

Is there really an online test where I can really know if I am retarded? Would I be able to understand computers, software, electronic blueprints if I am so? Which I can somehow read and understand.

I am curious, because I seem to be really bad at displaying my talents and social skills effectively to impress anyone enough to hire me. I stutter, sometimes there is a brief silence before I can answer. And wrong words always tend to get out of my mouth.

The fact is I am fired from every general labour job that I have joined it. They keep saying that I am too slow. Too slow is the only answer for rejection and too slow is always the reason for my absolute defeat.

I am mid way through college in a computer course, I am wondering whether I should finish it and try for a higher level job. But I wonder, if I failed even the easiest of the easy jobs why would I be able to sucess in a higher level job??

For some strange reason, my brain seems to absorb knowledge with no problem. So I managed to get by so far in my studies without any tutoring aids.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, a lot of online IQ tests are flawed with questions that relate to a curatorial norm, a good IQ test, in theory, can be taken by someone from any culture without any bias. As for a job, with your high memorization skills, but slow recall or problem solving ability, you may what to try something that requires an immense amount of knowledge (which would push the average worker away) but not be on a rigorous time frame. Just my two bits.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
mecharmor23,
Every persons brain works differently, and even IQ tests only generalize certain attributes of the brain.
Some people excel in social behaviors. Some may not have the same social abilities, but have the ability to be deep thinkers (Express themselves in arts such as poetry, writing, painting, etc)
Some people can watch someone else work on something (cars for example), and automatically be able to duplicate the work. Some are not so gifted, but can easily learn from books. Some people have a gift for visualization, and can read charts, blue prints, maps, etc as if they were looking at a real thing.

Bottom line is we are all different..we just need to find the areas that we excel in.

As far as the slowness...do you tend to daydream? Get distracted in coversation? Hav trouble concentrating (For example someone is talking to you, but your attention is on the noise in the background)? Maybe the problem is something else......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes I tend to day dream. I can't help it, I can't stop it, it has become a habit since elementry school. As a kid, the only thing that could help my boredom was to daydream because I never had games, movies or computers back then. It is really hard to stop my mind from wandering and usually the dreams go from one topic to another. Sometimes during a math class, my mind suddenly wandered into thinking about economics and society and then worrying whether I will get a job after I graduate or not.

More often than not, my mind tend to always focus on very very random past events that I have experienced. I could be thinking about the 486 computer I first had and how I once preached it as the best computer ever. hehehe well... it use to be. Or I could be thinking about a random conversation that went wrong. The past is depressing, yet I can't change it, I know that fact, but it has become a habit that I always go into depression because of the past and it could be anything.

I can't concentrate for very long as my mind tend to wander and it could be in the middle of a conversation. Which is why I usually miss out entire segments of the teacher's lesson. 1 out of 2 sentences go in one ear and out the other. What is missing is what I have to rediscover. Which is why it takes me twice as long to do my homework because I had to read just about every sentence in the textbook two or three times in order to do the questions.

THEORETICALLY you can say that for school is 50% self-study for me, self-study as in studying something by myself without it being mentioned by teacher, which in reality I only listened through 50% of the classes.

·
Registered
774 Posts
This sounds like a textbook case of ADD to me. Of course I'm not a doctor so I can't say that for sure, but have you even seen a doctor about this?

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
mecharmor23 said:
I think I failed an IQ test online. It has some word problems, conversation and grammer analysis. The questions seem to get harder exponentially, or maybe it is just me??
Never trust IQ tests online. They're all too often highly flawed or completely irrelevant (except to test your cultural knowledge :p ).

Personally, I dislike all kinds of IQ tests...

mecharmor23 said:
I only ask because I always seem to lose in any social conversation. Perhaps its because I am alone for too long? I rarely talk to people in reality and usually no more than 50 sentences come out of my mouth each day. People always respond before I can answer them quick enough. I can't even beat a newbie in any online game.
You seem to suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder.

My boss' son has it, and he has the same troubles as you. Proper testing could confirm whether you has the disorder or not.

mecharmor23 said:
Is there really an online test where I can really know if I am retarded? Would I be able to understand computers, software, electronic blueprints if I am so? Which I can somehow read and understand.
You do not seem to be 'retarded' in any way. If you're really doubting yourself that much, you should seek professional help (and I'm not being ofensive here, just trying to give you advice). A psychologist can give you better IQ tests and let you see for yourself.

mecharmor23 said:
So what do you think?
Well, I don't know how old you are, or what's your relationship to your family. But I think that you should go see a psychiatrist - specially considering that you've already lost a job because of these problems. Talk to your family first, if that's the case.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I tend to doubt online IQ tests. I've tried a few and I got 140+ on most of them. So that makes me a genius? Hell no, I'm a stupid, lazy bum :p

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
All the IQ test I've done so far gave a result around 130, only the first one I took gave me 108 cause I was sick when I did :p

Dunno if they're accurate tho...

Anyways, not having social skills doesn't mean you're stupid, I'm a loner, and I'm not dumb either... in fact, in most cases someone who has an above average IQ feels
like he doesn't fit with the standart and tend to stay away from 'normal' and overly stupid people :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts