Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PC's are multi task machines, not dedicated to games, but rather games, word processing, 2D/3D art, programming, video, music, internet etc etc........but now consoles are doing more;

The SNES had an Art Program (Mario Paint)
The Dreamcast had internet access
The PS2 has a HardDrive, Keyboard, and Movie DVD Player....
The XBox has a Windows Operating System, Possible Keyboard and mouse add-ons...

Though not a vast jump to the power of a PC, possible indications that the line between consoles and PC's is getting blurry, though console will remain games orientated, they are becoming more advanced not just graphically, but in terms of functionality, and this makes (to me) consoles less console'ly, compared to the gaming purity that once was the NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, PS1, N64.

It could be simply argued that companies like Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, SEGA, want to appeal to a larger audience, or that they have forgotten that a console is simply for games. Or perhaps we the public want more functionality in our machines.

What do u think, are consoles getting more like PC's in there 'idea' and functionality?, do we want these 'evolved' consoles to get more functions like internet access, and art/music programs?, or should console designers get back to the raw experience that is a pure gaming machine?

PS: Sorry if this is a 'heavy' question, but 1) I have got massive insomnia, and 2) Me and several m8's have talked about this during many a gaming/chillin' session! :)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I think so. I personally find that's silly, since consoles become completely obsolete after a few years. We're almost getting to the point where consoles almost could be called (not quite as functional) computers.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
X-Box, this is the one that'l change/screw up how it has been.. i dont really know if its for better or for worse:eek:

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Originally posted by Xeven
X-Box, this is the one that'l change/screw up how it has been.. i dont really now if its for better or for worse:eek:
We'll have to find out, I suppose. It's currently looking like worse.

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, the X-Box, made by a computer software company, with its own operating system!!! It is almost as if Microsoft want to;

1) Advertise Windows to their Next Gen customers.
2) Want to make consoles push further into the PC realm
3) Forgot what 'console' means to gamers
4) Bill Gate's is after TOTAL domination.......(We are the BORG syndrome)

(4 being more like Microsoft, but defiently sarcastic)

But what ever option is true, Console should now mean in gaming terms,

Short lasting, expensive, less functional, cut down PC

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Originally posted by Asz
Yeah, I can't wait 'till I see a 'Mario Paint Advance'. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh do I hope they never do that, or how about MS Word 2001 for the X-Box, perhaps Outlook Express, or IE 6, but the first console that blue screens that would be original if not INSANE

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SORRY :( me cut down to 7

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Well, the Xbox has a Pentium 733 inside, so we <b>can</b> call it a computer, since the internal architeture is the same.
But I wonder... How will they call the GPF on the Xbox :lol:

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I wonder how many people will be goofy enough to buy an X-box. I mean, 6 months after it's out there will be Emu's (Almost gaurenteed due to it basically being a PC and there isn't a lot of emu over head as far as CPU emulation and such go)

I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole... M$ already has it's hands in enough things..and Game Cube looks a lot better in my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Umm.. I'm american and I not buying one...lol
I do know what you mean though..I've a friend who is in awe of a flight game of some kind for X-box because as he say's "It looks so real"...Blah..Bet it's boring as heck... Anyways he is going to buy one just for that game....I told him he was crazy....

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
That IS crazy. Unfortunately, a lot of people are buying one only for that reason (although it's mostly DOA 3).

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
probably DEAD OR ALIVE 3, the characters look real, but someone once mentioned that the x-box was akin to a "dynamic boob synthesizer", just look at the doa3 screenshots to see what that means.. hehe:p

edit: again.. im too slow.. i must be getting old.. :p

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Originally posted by Asz
I read that the GameCube is selling at least 2x the units in America then in Japan.
Well...yeah. It's the Pokemon system, of course it'll do well in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
God! Pokemon isn't dead yet?! Hahaha, a little side note, I bought Pokemon Crystal for my GBA, remember it's all about gameplay. :heh:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts