Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local arcades (infact in total about 15 ish around here!) have had various units such as Tekken 5 with these so called 'Data Card' readers, but until now none of the arcades have had the cards!

Now we have them I was curious to see what exactly they looked like, and what they could store, thankfully I know one of the guys that runs a few arcades, so I got my hands on a few freebies :)

They cost around here between £3-5 per card, store progress, costumes unlocked, items, etc I the case of Tekken 5, you get to store 1 and only 1 character, highscores, unlocked stuff, etc etc

I rather like the idea of having 'memcards' for arcade games, guess it will make them even more money through the card sales, but also because people can return to their game on a later date, especially if you run out of credits.

Suppose you could collect these cards, of course Japan will have all the ones with the best artwork, or for those very obscure Arcade RPGS.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hmm that's very interesting :eyemove:

I haven't been to the arcades for a long long time. And a lot of the arcades around here have closed down, even the Asian ones with lots of imported games. I'm not exactly sure but it seems the current generation consoles has finally made the arcades obsolete :(

Anyway back on topic - this card thing is a cool idea. The first thing that comes to my mind is racing games. Another use would be for Gaunlet type of games.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
takwu said:
The first thing that comes to my mind is racing games. Another use would be for Gaunlet type of games.
I believe the Initial D arcade games use a card system as well. I've seen some people use the cards in various machines. I'm not sure if it's specific to one game or all of them though (if there are sequels).

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
n_w95482 said:
I believe the Initial D arcade games use a card system as well. I've seen some people use the cards in various machines. I'm not sure if it's specific to one game or all of them though (if there are sequels).
yeah, it uses them, i've one from japan and one from the US, i should take pics of it.

anyway, there are 3 "stages" of Initial D in the arcade but it's all the same game with tweaks. you can upgrade your card for each version. it's usually just 1 credit for a card (so if it's a dollar per play it's a dollar for a card).

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
I have a Neo Geo card, but I'm unsure of what neo geo system accepts it...
I got it from a manager of an Aladdins Castle...a long time ago...

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
I forgot about another arcade game that uses a similar system, F-Zero AX. It lets you plug in your GameCube memory card. I can't remember what it does though, perhaps unlocking characters and tracks.

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just picked up a 'mint' Virtua Striker 4 card, love to get my hands on a few japanese ones, it'd be a novel thing to add to my games collection, though no idea how uncommon or common games are that use these cards, knowing japan and gaming as a whole, what makes me think there will be ultra rare cards and limited editions with shiny reflective surfaces :p

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Thats pretty cool, however I never see just arcades around here anymore if ever. Usually there is a crappy arcade inside movie theaters or kiddie parks like chuckie cheese but there isnt exactly a regular arcade. Oh well, <3 ps2 ;)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
they have those cards all over the place in japan, there are vending machines next to the arcade machines to get your cards.

also, PS2 games (like Beatmania) come with special edition cards you can use in the arcade (a friend of mine got all the beatmania games imported and he showed me the special goodies)

·
Registered
411 Posts
They should make next gen games (PS3 / X360 / NRev) that are also in the arcade (or currently in arcade and will be on system in the future) able to use the Memory Cards that you can use with the systems. That way even before you get the game in a fighter you could keep your data, and then when you go online at home same data. That would kick butt :p.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.