Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played Streets of Rage II a while ago (which the best game of that genre in my honest opinion). Well, I kinda like that genre and the arcades should be full of similar and maybe even better games. Does anyone know such a fighting game that might even surpass Streets of Rage?

P.S.: I already played Double Dragon which - well - didn't impress me that much...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Nothing beats Streets of Rage II. It is the epitome of the side scrolling beat-em-up.
However, some good ones:
Bare Knuckle 3 (Gen): This is the Japanese version of Streets of Rage III. The US version butchered a lot of the game making a hell of a lot cacker. That said BKIII isn't even in the same city as SoRII
Guilty Gear Isuka (PS2/XBox): I know it's a SFII style beat-em-up, but it does have quite a good side scrolling beat-em-up mode.
Tekken 3/4 (PSX/PS2): Both of these have a SSBEU mode. Far from amazing, but worth a look if you have hte games.
Super Double Dragon (SFC): Not in the SOR class but, quite a good fighter.
Double Dragon 2 (Famicom): The best of the Double Dragons IMO. Not up to SOR class.

I cannot iterate enough how SoRII is the 2D SSBEU. It's not like other genres where there may be a few disputed gems (eg: Console RPGs - CT vs FF7 vs FF10 vs Xenogears vs .... or 2d Fighters - Last Blade 2 vs Super SFII vs SFA2 vs KoF vs Garou vs Guilty Gear..... or even 3d Fighters - Dead or Alive vs Soul Blade/Calibur vs Tekken vs Virtua Fighter.....), it is the undisputed king with nothing even coming close. If you are looking for something as good as SoRII, you won't find it. It doesn't exist. Nothing is even on the same playing field.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Sure I could mention every SSBEU I know (and there are a lot as I love the genre), but I figured I'd mention notable ones. BKIII because people are usualy put off by the horrible US localisation, GGI and Tekken 3/4 because most people aren't likely to look at the SSBEU aspect of them, and DD2 as it's a bit old for most people to check out.
Golden Axe, Final Fight, Fighting Force, Dungeons and Dragons/2, Battletoads, the various TMNT games, Comix Zone and The King of Dragons just to name a few.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
My opinion is equal to Kane's. There is just no Beat 'm Up that achieves the same quality as SOR2 imo. Especially when playing it on Mania. I have done my best finding one. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try MAME. There are a lot of good fighting games there. Here are the recommendations from the history.dat:

Recommended Games:

* Final Fight
* Knuckle Joe
* My Hero
* Trojan
* Renegade
* Double Dragon
* Double Dragon II
* Double Dragon 3
* Avengers
* Ginga NinkyouDen
* Kyros
* Shinobi
* Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja
* Shadow Warriors
* Vigilante
* Crime Fighters
* Crude Buster
* DownTown
* Gang Wars
* Shadow Dancer
* Tough Turf
* The Combatribes
* Growl
* Mug Smashers
* The Ninja Kids
* 64th. Street
* Brute Force
* Captain Commando
* D. D. Crew
* Karate Blazers
* Riot City
* Vendetta
* Guardians of the Hood
* Silent Dragon
* Undercover Cops
* Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
* Knuckle Bash
* Ninja Baseball Batman
* The Punisher
* Violent Storm

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
:ROFLMAO: Fighting force was a poor excuse for a 3d SSBEU. There are far better than that. Hell Dynamite Cop was better.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
I agree, it was a poor game, its gameplay was quite bad and the graphics... well, actually the graphics weren't that bad... for its time. Best 3D beat 'em up I've played so far is Sword of the Berserk: Gut's rage.

Fighting Force 2 was an even lamer game so don't even try it...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Does it have to be arcade? If not, Guardian Heroes is definitely one of the best SSBTU out there (am I missing something here?).

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>Best 3D beat 'em up I've played so far is Sword of the Berserk: Gut's rage.

That's the DC one, right? That was quite fun.

>Does it have to be arcade? If not, Guardian Heroes is definitely one of the best SSBTU out there (am I missing something here?).

Well SoRII was Genesis/Mega Drive only.....
Guardian Heroes? How did I miss that game. I suppose that's what comes of having a Euro only saturn. Well my import cat should arrive soon enough. If it's as fun as Gunstar Heroes (MD/G) and Ikaruga (DC), which were also by Treasure, were, it might be a suitable competitor to the lesser SoRs

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Sword of the Berserk is a great game, hack and slash all the way. But even better is the story :D There isn't much gameplay in it, about 50% were cutscenes. But a friend of mine liked the game so much, he wants to buy a DC because of this game. (He prefers my DC over his Xbox :p)

Edit: I really want to see the anime in which this game is based :)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>Edit: I really want to see the anime in which this game is based :)

oO You haven't watched Beserk? Why the hell not?
While you're at it, you might wanna get hold of the still ongoing Manga.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Hey, gimme a break, I live in Holland, famous for cheese, tulips, mills, heineken, xtc and veggies :p Meanwhile the mass ignores all the great things Japan has to offer: Anime, Dreamcast... just to name a few :(

Hmm $125,- A bit too much for me to cough up at the moment :( I'll consider it ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
The gameplay of Guardian Heroes is definitely 100% solid; it has everything a SSBTU's got plus a bit more. And you gotta love the vs. mode; you get to use any character in the game: no-name soldiers, final bosses, and yes, even defenseless villagers.
I first saw this game about 8 or 9 years ago and was in awe when I saw the anime-style opening. The 2D sprites are of high quality and the visual effects are great for its time (and can now be reproduced easily in Flash ;).
All in all, a great game that's going to worth every penny.

S

·
0 Posts
First: Beats of Rage is a nice fangame but it isn't all that good to me.

Now, looking at a few 3D ones...

-Fighting Force was indeed bad... and the sequel wasn't even really a beatemup.
-Dynamite Cop...not that great either. Fast-paced though...
-Crisis Beat - Not awesome either, but for some reason(s) I like this one.
-TMNT (new one) - gets boring fast.

...really, stick with 2D ones. ;P

Oh, and I would really recommend Ninja Warriors on the SNES (NOT the crappy arcade one); I just love that game.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts