Next Generation Emulation banner

Have you bought DRM'd music from an online store?

• Yes, I buy all my music online.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have bought some music online.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No, but I am considering it.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No, it is too expensive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'd rather own the physical CD.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, I don't like being told what to do with my music.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No, I pirate all my music.

Votes: 4 23.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought that I'd take this opertunity to find out what opinions other people on the boards thought about this topic. So I decided to create this part-poll, part-discussion on the subject of DRM'd music, particularly with relation to online music stores. So anyway, I guess I'll kick-start this thread with my opinion on the matter.

I believe that buying music digitally through the Internet could be a very good thing, but at the moment it is significantly flawed, so much so that I refuse to spend money downloading music. Don't assume that I condone piracy in any way, far from it, but I belive that there are many things which are just not acceptable about current systems:

1. Cost versus quality
At the moment cost is not low enough to justify spending money on lossy audio when, for not much more, you can buy uncompressed CD audio and recieve a jewel case, physical CD and cover art. Also, most music stores encode at lower than acceptable bitrates. For example, iTunes uses 128kbps AAC with Fairplay DRM.

2. Limited amount of copying
Most music stores allow playback on only three devices. I want to use my CDs in the Hi-Fi, in the car, on a personal player, on the computer etc... I do not need to be told where and when I can listen to my music

3. Corporate interest
In my opinion, there is way too much corporate interest in inventing propriatory audio codecs and digital rights systems then using them as weapons against their competitors. This is called anti-trust and Apple is the worst offender in this case, refusing to license Fairplay DRM. Buy music from one store and it will work in your player, but won't in another. Could you imagine if you bought food from one company and it couldn't cook in another companies pots? It wouldn't be anymore insane that the current music store situation. It is only the customer who is losing out.

4. No control over format or bitrate
I don't want to be told what format to have my music in. I'd rather buy the physical CD and encode quality 7 Ogg Vorbis myself than have 128kbps WMA shoved down my throat with a healthy portion of DRM on the side. I don't want to have to buy music which I already own just because my DAP doesn't support AAC with Fairplay. I also don't want sub-par bitrate recordings to listen to.

5. No guarantee as to how long the files will play for
Will I still be able to use the downloaded music in ten years? Rather unlikely, and I'd be forced to buy music that I had payed for again in whatever the format de jour happens to be.

Well I guess that's my opinion. I'll add anything that I've forgotton to mention later. But, for everyone else, vote in the pole and post your opinion too. With online music stores projected to overtake CDs in ten years, surely some poor soul is buying the music?

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
I don't listen to music that comes from america in general (except for Vanessa Carlton), so I have to shop for music online in order to get the forein stuff I want. :)

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
i'm american and i don't listen to american music. To me it's all a bunch of whiny people who have found a crowd to cry to. Rap is too violent and too demeaning. Country music consists of about four subjects. 1.Car 2.Bar 3.Girl 4.Death. Rock is a dying art and nothing good comes out anymore. Metal is too loud for me. And folk music is... folk. Anymore i just listen to japanese music and classical.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blueshogun96 said:
I don't listen to music that comes from america in general (except for Vanessa Carlton), so I have to shop for music online in order to get the forein stuff I want. :)
You're missing the point. Music downloads, not ordering CDs online.

Seta-San said:
Rock is a dying art and nothing good comes out anymore.
What about The White Stripes?

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
Seta-San said:
i'm american and i don't listen to american music. To me it's all a bunch of whiny people who have found a crowd to cry to. Rap is too violent and too demeaning.
for the first time we agree on something :)

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Seta-San said:
i'm american and i don't listen to american music. To me it's all a bunch of whiny people who have found a crowd to cry to. Rap is too violent and too demeaning. Country music consists of about four subjects. 1.Car 2.Bar 3.Girl 4.Death. Rock is a dying art and nothing good comes out anymore. Metal is too loud for me. And folk music is... folk. Anymore i just listen to japanese music and classical.
You and I think exactly alike. Nothing from america can beat Kageama Hironobu.

Chaaaalaaaaa-Head chalaaaaa! :thumb:

You're missing the point. Music downloads, not ordering CDs online
I was the first who voted physical CD

EDIT: The 1970's was a good time for music.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
It's the same with PC games. I want the damn jewel case, the manual, and the box, original disc(s). I will never order any software or music over the internet to download. Unless of course it is the only way to get the software or music. Which is how it's probably going to be eventually.

As for music, I want the original music. Then "I" will decide how and to what format "I" will store the music on my computer.

Your points are strong scottlc, and I totally agree with you.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Most american music does suck. The only decent rock band I've heard lately is the pillows, and they're japanese. I haven't heard anything by White Stripes though, so I suppose they could be OK. At any rate, I agree with you fully on DRMed music. For me to even consider buying music online, it would have to be 320kbit/s mp3, or even better somewhere around 224kbit/s ogg. None of this WMA crap. It would also have to be possible for me to burn it onto CD and transfer it onto and mp3 player for no additional charge. But most importantly, they have to provide some music that's actually worth hearing.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
It seems this thread is getting a bit off-topic. ;) He's not asking your opinion on American music, but on DRM.

Anyway, for me it's simply a matter of Cost x Value.

DRM'd music is inferior to CDs, for many reasons (and scottlc was kind enough to save me the trouble of listing the bigger ones). Thus, they must also be much cheaper in order to became a good deal.

IMO DRM'd music is still too expensive for the Value it provides, so I'm still sticking with CDs. But, since their pricing is improving, it won't be a surprise if I start shopping music online soon.

Curious fact: I work with a Digital Media-related company and I'm currently programming a Online Shop for DRM'd music. :)

[]s Badaro

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
He's not asking your opinion on American music, but on DRM.
Yeah, I know, I was just justifying why I buy cds online

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blueshogun96 said:
Yeah, I know, I was just justifying why I buy cds online
That's fine, I buy my CDs online too, record stores are much more expensive. Though the topic was refering to music download stores.

As for the White Stripes, there are short samples on Amazon.com but they're too short to gauge how good they are. There are a few live videos and music videos at:
http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/white_stripes/audvid.jhtml

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I only purchase Canadian music, because I support Canadian artists. There are a few U.S. artists I like, but not enough to buy ther music. I find that with the 'mainstream' bands there are only 1 or 2 good songs that I like, and the rest blow. So why would I spend $15.00 on a CD to get 2 good songs ... I'll dowload the few songs I like thank you. And seriously I only have about 20 downloaded songs. :p I'm not into music that much ^_^

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
I'd like to go to a music store and buy music myself. That way, I can rip the music in my own format at my own bitrate. Buying online at 128kbps is not worth the money imo. Only thing here is finding a good CD that's worth buying. Most CDs only seem to have a handful of songs that are decent but not enough to be worth the $20-30 (depending if it's a 1 CD or 2 CD compilation).

·
Old Man
286 Posts
The only time i've ever downloaded music from a an online store was from iTunes, and it was free. One of my suite mates works at Apple, and he gave us all the iTunes 'lottery' cards, where you scratch them and win stuff. One of them was 100 free songs of my choice. I've only downloaded 12, simply because I have to do a whole bunch of fancy conversions to get 'em to play in Linux.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmm...
We can see many sides to this issue. Here is an idea (but will never likely happen).
Imagine the idea of compilation CDs that you select. Visit a website, and choose the songs you want. Your CD is professionally pressed with artwork and shipped to your home. The biggest issue is that record labels will complain. Perhaps it can be limited to particular label music compilations...

This way you get the music that you want, and in a quality format.
Bah..one can dream

·
Old Man
286 Posts
Or just let us download the music in a loss-less format. Encrypted isn't all that bad, as long as you can burn it unencrypted to a CD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts