Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple head attacks record firms
"Greedy" record companies are pushing for an increase in the price of music downloads, Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs has said. Mr Jobs vowed to resist such pressure, after revealing that music firms were pushing for higher prices on Apple's iTunes internet music store.

He said companies already made a bigger profit through iTunes than in CD sales.

Apple's co-founder was speaking ahead of the Apple Expo showcase in Paris. Record companies did not comment.

'Good price'

Mr Jobs said that by cutting out manufacturing jobs, selling through iTunes was already proving lucrative for record companies.

"So if they want to raise the prices it just means they're getting a little greedy," he said.

Big music companies are currently trying to alter the terms of their deals with Apple, with many contracts in the US due for renewal.

The iTunes site in the US charges 99 cents (55p) per song, with prices typically higher in Europe and Japan - it is 79p per song in the UK. In August, Apple launched its new Japanese iTunes site without Sony BMG's music catalogue, as they could not agree on pricing.

"Customers think the price is really good where it is," said Mr Jobs.

"We're trying to compete with piracy, we're trying to pull people away from piracy and say 'you can buy these songs legally for a fair price'.

"But if the price goes up a lot, they'll go back to piracy. Then everybody loses."

Apple has sold about 22 million iPod digital music players and more than 500 million songs though its iTunes music store.

It accounts for 82% of all legally downloaded music in the US.

A spokeswoman for record company Warner Music declined to comment. Rival firms Sony BMG, EMI and Universal were all unavailable.
Anyone else getting the feeling that high prices is the reason so many people pirate songs?

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Player-X said:
Anyone else getting the feeling that high prices is the reason so many people pirate songs?
Does the pope **** in the woods? :p

I dunno if it's the only reason, but of course the high prices have a large influence on piracy. Paying more than 20 euros (~24 usd) for just 10 ****ty popsongs is a bit overpriced don't you think?

·
The Vodka Theme
747 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Does the pope **** in the woods? :p

I dunno if it's the only reason, but of course the high prices have a large influence on piracy. Paying more than 20 euros (~24 usd) for just 10 ****ty popsongs is a bit overpriced don't you think?

that's why here in israel half of the country is pirating. the prices are outrageus.

look at the news about what's going on over here:

Two Israeli websites offering ED2K and BitTorrent links (****** and *******)have been closed due to an unconfirmed sources saying they are facing a lawsuit from an Israeli organizations similar to MPAA and RIAA (Motion Picture Association of Israel - MPAI and Recording Industry Association of Israel - RIAI).

Both sites are told to have had more then 100,000 users daily, making them few of the biggest P2P sites out there. I have been told from unconfirmed sources that the sites have closed due to a facing lawsuit by an MPAI and RIAI. The CEO, Itsik Cohen of one of these organizations said: "For us there is no difference between sites that have the files on their servers to sites that link to files on other servers" (translation from Hebrew).

The trial is supposed to start in November and the sites are being sued for 500,000 shekels (a little more than 100,000$). ******* did not have any links to copyrighted movies or songs (only programs, games, subtitles for movies and reviews of movies), and the owner of the site says that the lawsuit is not relevant to ******.

According to Itsik Cohen, this is just the beginning.
personally i hope they remain open.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
doesn't affect me :D

frankly, everyone should just start pirating again, hopefully to force artists to promote for themselves (with the help of non-profit music organizations) instead of a corporate record company doing it for them.....you know, to remove the reason why most people pirate

Which reminds me....we need a pirate smilie around here (argh)

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
>> The problem is that corporations can basically hype anyone up... just for how long :p

well....we can bankrupt them...just don't buy music, instead 'donate' to the artists directly :p

>> And how do you pirate smilies? You mean copying from other sites? oO

LOL....I meant a smilie we can use on the forums to promote our sea-fearing side. Maybe I'll find one on deviantart or something :rolleyes:

·
The Vodka Theme
747 Posts
Kirby said:
doesn't affect me :D

frankly, everyone should just start pirating again, hopefully to force artists to promote for themselves (with the help of non-profit music organizations) instead of a corporate record company doing it for them.....you know, to remove the reason why most people pirate

Which reminds me....we need a pirate smilie around here (argh)
omg.. an admin promoting piracy?! :D

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
ArchIBaLD said:
I guess some of them are still human :p

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
ArchIBaLD said:
I have always promoted piracy as a way to protest unfair industry practices. Once I see that most of my 12 bucks will actually go to the artists instead of into the pocket of corporate millionaires, then maybe I'll consider using legal services, or maybe even buying CDs again

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Pirate away if these corporate bastards think they can raise prices whenever they feel like.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Player-X said:
sounds paradoxical

I am doing my part what about everyone else?
Well I prefer buying cds at the concert of the bands I like, you can get them for a good price and when lucky have them signed :D I also like to buy merchandise like shirts.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Truth be told I've only ever bought 1 music CD, and that was the soundtrack to the recent movie by Dreamworks; Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (sounds lame, but it did have a really good soundtrack)... the rest sort of just... fell off the internet into my harddrive...

*whistles*

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.