Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about ePSXe regarding analog control. I've discovered of course that you cannot map analog controls to the keyboard. This is kind of annoying considering most emulators for systems with analog can do this. Ape Escape is one game that will NOT work without analog control at all. I have an analog controller, but it's really screwed up badly with terrible problems. Unusable pretty much.

Is there ANY way to map the analog controls to keys? If not using just the emulator, is there a third party app that can set analog controls to keys or emulate a joypad with analog sticks? I've heard of joy2key, but what I'm aiming for is the reverse.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
theres no point to playing ape escape with a keyboard regardless of if you could map it. it requires the analogue accuracy that a keyboard can't provide.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sort of disagree. I've played a ton of analog games on N64 emulators and such. Mario 64 for one. No offense, but I can take it. I've gotten used to playing these types of games on a keyboard. I'd like to at least try if you can tell me about any way to do it. Even if you had to constantly run like Mario 64 or whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i would have to agree with squall you are going to lose a lot of accuracy and that is very much needed in a game like Ape Escape eight directions is far less accurate than what an analog controller in ape escape the analog is needed for sinning the action stick many items in the game require fast full rotations multiple times to just start using the item let alone using it for more then a few seconds i would reconmend you getting a new anlog controller

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look, I know the accuracy will be lost. I just want to know if there is a program that allows you to map the analog controls to keys. I know about the propeller thing that you have to twirl and everything. If you knew how fast i can type and rotate keys, you'd at least give me a chance to try. I know I saw SOME program that can do this a few months ago. But I can't find it now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Xpadder website, I'm pretty sure that just lets you map keyboard keys to gamepad buttons. I want to achieve the opposite effect, so it's not what I'm wanting.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Uh, maybe PPJoy?

Haven't tried it out myself, but it describes using a keyboard or mouse in place of gamepad controls, including analog sticks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried PPJoy, but no matter what options I mess with, I cannot tell it to use my keyboard as an analog axis.

And I'm limited by finances on getting a new gamepad in case you were getting annoyed at why I don't just buy a new one. I was heavily considering buying one of those really inexpensive Logitech Dual Action Gamepad-

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/devices/288&cl=US,EN

But I heard they have a rather alarmingly high fail rating in regards to the analog sticks. My own gamepad is a really old Gravis Eliminator Aftershock. It has some issues in the analog controls. I have to constantly fiddle with the deadzone and acceleration options in the driver settings to get it to work. And it also randomly comes unhooked from the PC for absolutely no reason, causing some really severe connection issues and the drivers to completely corrupt.

So know that there is a very good reason I'm having to do this. I have an old Gravis Gamepad Pro that works fine, but it has no analog. That is all it lacks too. It functions perfectly, but I can't use it for analog-only games. Shame Ape Escape had to be such an awesome game and use analog controls. :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, I tried PCSX which crashes right after the "game requires dual shock" screen. So that is out. Shame as that emulator supports analog on keys (using Nrage). PSX emulator doesn't support analog with a keyboard just like EPSXE. I'll look for others but I am running out of options.

Altogether, only two PS1 emulators have been able to play the game so far. Here's the rundown-

ePSXe- runs the game perfectly but won't support keyboard analog
PSX emulator- runs perfectly, but again won't support keyboard analog
PCSX- crashes after "dual analog required screen"
AdriPSX- crash after "dual analog required screen"
PSXeven- crash after "dual analog required screen"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
edit- PCSX-r crashes after the dual shock logo too.

Well new updates. I DID get my broken controller to work using Xpadder. I should mention that this is my controller-

All buttons and the digital pad work great. The left analog drifts badly because it seems to be loose or something. The right stick has a similar problem but FAR more manageable. I used Xpadder program to switch the left analog stick axes with the dpad axes. This made it possible to make the dpad a virtual analog stick and the left analog stick a virtual dpad. Confusing maybe, but now I can sort of use the dpad in Ape Escape. HOWEVER...

Problem- All directions make you run fullspeed except the UP direction on the dpad. It works perfectly in PJ64, but makes the character walk in Ape Escape on PSX Emulator. I shall try it in ePSXe to see what I can do. And I was right, I find the digital controls just fine in this game thus far.

edit- ePSXe will not recognize the dpad when trying to map analog to it. My only hope is psx emulator which i am still having issues with getting the up button to make you run. >_<

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
use pcsx-r with the harakiri plugin, and set a decent sized dead zone.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
something else is wrong here -_-, ape escape works fine on pcsx.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.