Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, actually, this is a diff account since I can't get into my orig. acct yet;
but I just started out with OpenGL/Win32 and was just wondering if anyone wanted to (alpha) test my screensaver?

Overview: it's a rss screensaver, much like the apple one (minus the bells and whistles).
What I need: just need people to try it out on various computers, reply if there's any problems or suggestions for improvement!
What you get: you get a small screensaver that looks ok (more work on that later), and the satisfaction of helping a fellow programmer out :p

Anyways, more info can be found on the page; RssGL

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
Kgn said:
Hi guys, actually, this is a diff account since I can't get into my orig. acct yet;
but I just started out with OpenGL/Win32 and was just wondering if anyone wanted to (alpha) test my screensaver?

Overview: it's a rss screensaver, much like the apple one (minus the bells and whistles).
What I need: just need people to try it out on various computers, reply if there's any problems or suggestions for improvement!
What you get: you get a small screensaver that looks ok (more work on that later), and the satisfaction of helping a fellow programmer out :p

Anyways, more info can be found on the page; RssGL
hmm ok I would do it but, can I trust u is not a virus >_<

·
ゲート オーペン!
911 Posts
ehhe hey its pretty cool >_<, btw its anything else suppose to happen? besides the time.. maybe I should wait more ehehe, anyway how do I edit if I can? the rss feed i have no idea what is it for XD lol, btw none of the keys work..well idk what are they suppose to do XD well only f1 since to work.... is a bit unresponsive and it takes a while to load the window

btw nice job looking forward for the next version ;D

·
Registered
340 Posts
looks nice from what ive seen, but it crashed loading the RSS feeds. heres the feeds i have setup, maybe its the aspx one.

[RSS:feeds]
Slashdot;http://slashdot.org/rss/index.rss
Anandtech Articles;http://www.anandtech.com/rss/articlefeed.aspx
Anandtech News;http://www.anandtech.com/rss/newsfeed.aspx
Xbox-scene;http://www.xbox-scene.com/rssfeed.php

also, i had some concern. i looked at the screen saver in a hex editor and found that it mentioned password a couple of times (ScreenSaveUsePassword PASSWORD.CPL VerifyScreenSavePwd and PwdChangePassword) i want to say that this just something associated with the windows password thing, but i want to know from you.

edit: nope theres a bug somewhere with the program. i took out the aspx feeds and it still crashes. i even took out the .php feed and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow, thx for the feedback, i'll take a look at the crashing thing today.
As for the password thing, nope I'm not using any passwords of any kind, though it might be a standard windows thing since i'm statically linking the srnsave library.

shadow89: none of the buttons work? like 'r', or 'f'?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah, ok, I think I have the crash bug fixed (tested on my brother's sp2 machine). Also, i found that the cwd for the screensaver in WinXP is actually C:\documents and settings\<username>\, so if you could copy the rssgl_feeds.txt to that directory instead, it should work.

gamerman: thx for the heads up, I tried the rss feeds, they seem to be fine, except for the xbox one (it is a link to a webpage, not an rss feed).
shadow89: i've encountered situations when it doesn't work when under the preview (in the screensaver protperties dialog), so can you try it normally (ie. wait a minute for it to load?)

new version on the site, so if you get a chance, feel free to try it and leave any bugs/comments.

thanks again guys!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok, that fixed it. its very nice, but i would rather something that would display all the feeds and the articles under it. Otherwise, it looks nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
gameman733 said:
Ok, that fixed it. its very nice, but i would rather something that would display all the feeds and the articles under it. Otherwise, it looks nice.
Interesting, any chance you could draw a small pic of what you mean?

·
Registered
340 Posts
probeby wont go well with the screensaver idea, but heres something i wouldnt mind having

1 - 11 of 11 Posts