Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
how hard have you looked? :p
you can keep on looking, or succumb to the fact that there is no patch for the uk version and probably wont be for a while..

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
If it wasn'y for thouse damn pirates we wouldn't have the darn libcrypt system to stop us from playing it the first place grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
ok, man.. DJ_M, you are officially on my shitlist.
i will be watching you..
it is against the rules to discuss, link to, distribute, etc. anything illegal on these boards. this includes downloading backup images of games that you do not own, such as Final Fantasy 9 US NTSC.
if you want ftp info, leech sites, or end up having problems with warez group versions, ie Kalisto, it is suggested that you take your business somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
noone gets as cranky as good ol mr gnome here..
so please dont cross me. :mad:
there is no reason to try carrying on a joke after i asked you to stop, especially since it is about material that is not to be discussed on these boards.
and if you want to keep laughing, ill give you something to laugh about..:wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay :p this is the final thing I say about this :p so if you want to ban me or something it would be quite childish since I said I would stop after this :p

anyway: If you don't want to talk about warez..then you better shut down this board...since emulation isn't really allowed.....I bet sony didn't sign copyright releases to use the bios of "THEIR" system :p So..talking about illegal stuff here......

oh well :p I said enough :p

ps
and if you want to keep laughing, ill give you something to laugh about..
close one :p I almost wanted to joke about that one :p but n/m I'm an adult...I won't do childish stuff :p

DJ_M

C

·
0 Posts
For an adult, you seem awful childish, yet you say you don't do such things...

And as for the debacle that Emulation is illegal, don't get me started on this....but I will field your BIOS concept....

a BIOS file is legal if dumped by yourself from a system you purchased. Other ways of obtaining the BIOS is illegal.
PSXEmu does not support these methods, which includes Sending you a BIOS, telling you where to obtain a BIOS, etc...

Please, abide by the rules, if you feel that this board should be taken down because it doesn't support warez...let's think for a second....
If this board supported warez, PSXEmu's host would pull them, and if Sony got wind, they would do something about it...happened to Dave's Classics.

The bottom line is, if you don't like it, don't post. Being a member of this board is a privelage, not a right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I like this site :p I never said I didn't like it !!!!! :p it's a wonderfull site :p

But...well be honest ...emulation still isn't legal :p so don't nag if we joke about iso's and stuff :p ...although I must admit I'm not a saint too tho :p *points at his cd collection from wich 10% is legal* :p

Oh well :p ENOUGH :p I said I'd stop then I'll stop :p

DJ_M

C

·
0 Posts
Emulation is legal in the context in which it's meant to be, which is for archival and nostalgia.
It's only referred to as illegal by Console makers when you get morons using it as an alternative to the real thing....
But even then, as long as they purhase the games, it's not illegal. Today's PSX emus are written using public documentation...
There's no stealing of copyrighted material there....

I also admit that I'm certainly no saint, but that type of stuff is not suited for the boards

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by DJMulder
But...well be honest ...emulation still isn't legal :
au contraire, dont you know anything about bleem?
it has been stated time and time again in court that emulation is IN FACT legal.
backing up your own cds is also legal as far as i understand. however, obtaining backup images of cds that you do not own is illegal.

if you want to talk about stuff like that, there are other boards that can facilitate you. this one however, is to be kept "clean"

S

·
0 Posts
One more word for emulation, if I may. If the emulator is reverse enginered then it is legal. A judge ruled in the Connectix VS. Sony case that reverse enginering was legal and in fact necessary, in some cases, so long as none of the original companies copyrighted material was used. The PSX emulators around today are examples of this. Yes, some of them use the bios, and getting the bios is illegal unless, as CD said, you dump it yourself from a console you own. But neither we here on the boards or the emu authors themselves will tell you where to get the bios. The bios is out there, we just don't want to know how you got it and we don't want you telling othes either. That way the boards stay clean.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
199 Posts
A few comments on this. First, no ruling has ever been made when it comes to emulation, as far as the PSX is concerned. However, in the 80's, the Intellivision (An Atari 2600 emulator) was ruled legal (Granted, Intellivision went out of business shortly after that, as the legal fees bankrupted them, but that's another story). And of course, 99% of current PC's are all emulating the original IBM's, and are most certainly legal.

As for bleem! and VGS, neither have actually been ruled on, yet. All of the "wins" that both of them received in court have been preliminiary stuff. A (Well, not so) short run-down on them:

VGS - The lawsuit was filed (I don't know the exact charges, but I'm guessing they were similar to the charges against bleem - copyright infringement, trade secret violations, etc. I believe there were 9 different points they were suing over), and Sony requested a Preliminary Injunction that would not allow VGS to be sold until the lawsuit was over. From what I understand, a Prelim. Injcuntion can only be granted if the judge feels that the defendant has a chance of losing the case, however a full trial does NOT occur. In Sony v. Connectix, Judge Legge (The US District Court Judge presiding over both the Connectix and bleem lawsuits) granted the Injunction. Connectix appealed it, and the US Appelate Court overturned the decision. Sony tried to appeal the overturn to the US Supreme Court, but the Supreme Court would not hear the appeal (Which basically means the Supreme Court agreed with the Apellate Court). A week after the Apellate Court decision, Sony filed another lawsuit against Connectix, saying Connectix violated the patents on the PSX (In the Appelate Courts ruling, they mentioned several times "Because Sony is not claiming patent infringement...", making it sound as if they HAD claimed the patent infringement in the first place, the Appelate Court would not have overturned the decision. I guess we'll never know, now). Right around E3 last year, 7 of the 9 counts Sony was suing Connectix on were thrown out. This was the only real trial-decision made that is a precedent, however I have no clue what the 7 counts were that were dropped. The 2 that were left were unfair competition and violation of trade secrets. And, without knowing WHY they were thrown out, it may not be a very strong precedent (IE, if they were thrown out because Sony worded their complaint wrong, it isn't much of a claim for future emulators that are sued). Later, Sony dropped the patent lawsuit, and refiled it the same day, because it had been filed incorrectly the first time, and was in danger of becoming a mis-trial. And, as I'm sure everyone knows, the day before the first lawsuit was to go to actual trial, Sony and Connectix cut a deal, so neither lawsuit went to trial. There might have been more pre-trial stuff, but I never heard about them, if they were there...

bleem! - Sony requested 2 or 3 (I don't remember for sure anymore) Temporary Restraining Orders (TRO) after they filed the lawsuit against bleem, LLC (Again, the charges were basically copyright infringement, violation of trade secrets, etc. Although, IIRC, there were only 5 points they were suing bleem on). A TRO also prohibits sales of the product. I'm not sure of the differences between a TRO and a preliminary injunction, but I am guessing that since the TROs were filed sooner than the prelim. injunction, that a TRO is only in affect until a Preliminary Injunction can be filed. Anyway, Sony also requested a Prelim. Injunction against bleem. All of these were denied. Late, bleem filed a countersuit against Sony for unfair business practices, and the like. Right after bleemcast was announced at E3 last year, Sony filed another lawsuit against bleem for patent infringement (This was several months after they filed the similar lawsuit against Connectix... I have no clue why they waited until then to do the same with bleem). AFAIK, neither of these lawsuits have gone to trial, yet. I've seen no news on them, and I try to check Judge Legge's docket every so often (God, the Internet's great. :p), and I have not seen anything about bleem come up since early February, when some motions were being filed (I don't remember all the motions being filed, but one of them was to dismiss. However, I'm assuming that if the motion was granted, there would have been some news on it, somewhere, although we can't count on bleem, inc. letting us know any news through their website. :/)

So, basically, the courts do seem to be going in the general direction of "emulation is legal" however, no actual ruling has been made lately. And, while, to me, the basic premise of emulating was the same, the Intellivision and PC Clones are emulation through hardware, not software, so it's possible they do not apply as a precedent.

From what has happened so far, I think that if the courts do rule on it, it will be in favor of emulation, and that is probably one of the biggest reasons that I hope bleem, inc. continues to live (The other reason being that I consider most of the people that work there friends, and don't want to see them be out of a job). If they are able to see the lawsuit through the trial, it will set a great precedence, and probably keep future emulation projects from even having to worry about lawsuits...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts