Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm just thinking about getting a motorcycle instead of driving because of the gas price. Since I drive alone most of the time and I heard somewhere motorcycle uses only 1/4 gas of a regular car. Anyone does that here?
Suggestion of cheap cycles welcome, so are comments and other things.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would do that except it's going to take about 3 hours to get to school, another 3 back.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
I'd thought about it, but I could never trade a car for a bike - I need the cargo room... though I'm considering owning one of each. Only problem then is that the extra insurance costs would eat up any gas savings I may have hoped to have.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well with most insurance companies you'll save money having more than one vehicle on the insurance policy. I know it's cheaper to have my Saturn SL1 & Honda Accord than it is without it (a friend crashed my Saturn.....and I'd only had it for 3 months. would have been fine if another vehicle was involved, but no she jsut can't drive worth **** apparently and hit a pole...a stationary object! :hdbash: never will ANYONE ever drive one of my vehicles except for family /vent off).

I'm getting ready to replace the SL1 with a Honda Rebel (one of the most inexpensive motorcycles you can buy, not a sport bike - just a small cruiser). Just finished the class (in california you have to either take the driving test and the written at the dmv...or bypass the driving test by going to motorcycle training - 3 days of 4 hours a piece, one in classroom 2 on track learning to ride. 198 dollars. Great thing is you get all kinda of discounts for doing this where as you don't for just getting the license. 15% more insurance discount, 15% off harley davidson bike at a specific shop, 10% off gear at suicylce which is another shop around my parts....etc... I'll get the money back just buyin stuff).

But if you are looking to have a primary vehicle being your cycle, you should probably get a scooter. They have more cargo room right out the gate, no need to buy add on equipment for hte bike. They're automatic, a lot easier to drive. You sit even more comfortably than you do on a cruiser (sport bikes are HELLA uncomfortable on 30+ minute trips. Esp if you have back problems already...older folks in thier 30's nearly cramp for 10 minutes after they get off an hour long trip. Younger folks don't feel it as much :p). Sport bikes are more for weekend riding anyway, they're fast...its kinda like buying a porsche and never redlining it or going beyond 60. Pointless.

But anyway. Look into Suzuki Scooters, or Honda Scooters. Should cost you around 2-5k used - new. Honda Rebels are about 3.5k new...haven't seen used yet. Gas is crazy cheaper now. It just went up to nearly 2.50 here where i liev (2.42) and I'll be very glad when I get my Rebel (I do hate the name of it though...but I don't wanna spend too much on a bike yet until I feel more comfortable riding).

On a bike from the dealership you'll have storage space under the seat. Small at that.

On a scooter you'll have a trunk big enough to hold a single paper bag filled about 3/4 of the way behind you, and a glove compartment to carry wallet/extra keys/shades etc...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll look into it :)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
People keep complaining about the gas prices, but with inflation and the war in iraq, and the hurricanes shutting down certain oil rigs off the coast, they should have known it was going to skyrocket...all i can really suggest is that you don't go to unnecessary places...other than that i think most people just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
stilz said:
Hello,
I'm just thinking about getting a motorcycle instead of driving because of the gas price. Since I drive alone most of the time and I heard somewhere motorcycle uses only 1/4 gas of a regular car. Anyone does that here?
Suggestion of cheap cycles welcome, so are comments and other things.
Hi, i gave up my car and got myself a bike a while ago. My problem is different
as it's due to not able to afford the car because of other comittments.
Well, you can get a smaller car to cut down petrol usage. Most motorcycles
are not as fuel efficient as modern cars.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Actually, from what I hear, the largest factor in high gas prices is China getting to be a much bigger player in the market. Apparently a lot more people are buying cars there than previously and they're sucking up the supply, increasing prices. If that's true, the price increase is only just beginning, and it ain't goin' down.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
moomoomoo said:
Have a look at the UK prices for petrol, then you won't be complaining.
Look at the brazilian prices and you'll be thankful for the UK ones :p

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Heh, I regularly get a good look at German prices for gas - that usually shuts me up :). Luckily, I can qualify for "gas stamps" that let me buy German gas at US prices. Unluckily, the frelling European rental law says I can't rent a car there until I'm 25... so I have to go with really old co-workers everywhere.

Anyways, back to the original discussion:

Lobo - you say it's actually cheaper insurance-wise to have multiple vehicles? Wow, I'll have to look into that. It may make picking up a bike well worth the cost! If that's true, I owe you a big one :).

·
Registered
408 Posts
KillerShots said:
Heh, I regularly get a good look at German prices for gas - that usually shuts me up :). Luckily, I can qualify for "gas stamps" that let me buy German gas at US prices. Unluckily, the frelling European rental law says I can't rent a car there until I'm 25... so I have to go with really old co-workers everywhere.

Anyways, back to the original discussion:

Lobo - you say it's actually cheaper insurance-wise to have multiple vehicles? Wow, I'll have to look into that. It may make picking up a bike well worth the cost! If that's true, I owe you a big one :).
I use 21st century insurance if that matters. But yeah, With the single honda its 189 a mo, for the Honda Accord (94) and Saturn SL1 (00) it was 183 a mo. Not a lot cheaper :p but it was cheaper :). (per mo was 10 months out of the year)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts