Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw it last night. Fricking awesome movie; my favourite horror movie so far. I'm really glad that they kept the setting in Japan since many of the scares wouldn't be nearly as spooky if placed in an American context. It was cool that the original director, Takashi Shimizu, and many of the Japanese actors who were in the original Japanese version, Ju-On: The Grudge, were used in the American version. I have heard that the Ju-On: The Grudge is just as scary, if not more. Then again, the director has stated that despite some minor differences, "There isn't much difference between the American version and the Japanese version."

The new wave of South-East Asian horror films is really revitalizing the horror genre and I'm glad that Hollywood is taking note of this (despite making "Americanized" and usually watered down versions of the movie).

One question: why do people insist on checking out dark, creepy rooms by themselves? I swear that the majority of characters in horror movies have a death wish or a curiosity bordering on idiocy... :p

Final word: Fricking croaking ghost.... (shudder).

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts

Quite Frankly i am very ashamed of Raimi. He created the Evil Dead series, he made the spider-man movies, some of my favorite films EVER. But this was a waste of time and money. Evil Dead had no plot, and still had a better plot than this movie. It wasn't scary. And if Cousin It is englulfing your boyfriend, you knock that ***** out, you dont sit there and watch. Predictable and Boring with a crappy ending. 'Nuf Said. And i swear that little japanese kid could swallow a watermelon whole. Just my Opinion, and I'm a horror film addict so this isn't one of my normal objections :p.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I'm interested. Two widely different opinions, from two persons that I tend to agree with about movies. I wonder when this movie will come to Brazil :rolleyes:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
N1ghtw0lf said:
Quite Frankly i am very ashamed of Raimi. He created the Evil Dead series, he made the spider-man movies, some of my favorite films EVER. But this was a waste of time and money. Evil Dead had no plot, and still had a better plot than this movie. It wasn't scary. And if Cousin It is englulfing your boyfriend, you knock that ***** out, you dont sit there and watch. Predictable and Boring with a crappy ending. 'Nuf Said. And i swear that little japanese kid could swallow a watermelon whole. Just my Opinion, and I'm a horror film addict so this isn't one of my normal objections :p.
Hmmm... this film, like Saw has people polarized into two camps: you either love it or hate it. You shouldn't be ashamed of Sam Raimi since he didn't create the film, he's merely responsible for convincing Hollywood to make a remake of the movie. If you didn't like it, blame should be placed solely on the director and writer of the movie, Takashi Shimizu.

Personally, I do like the plot and it was frightening although a lot of the scares were cheap. Again, it depends on what scares you. Personally, the original Ringu had a better plot, however, I forgave the many lapses in logic in the Grudge's plot because of the great atmosphere, etc.

What I liked about this film and Japanese horror films is the emphasis on creating "nightmares" out of the seemingly safe, modern environment. How modern technology cannot protect you against the supernatural elements. It's very similar to the concept (or vice versa) used in the Silent Hill video game series. Into the Mirror, Jacob's Ladder, and The Eye are a few prominent examples which utilize this concept to good effect.

Boltzmann said:
I'm interested. Two widely different opinions, from two persons that I tend to agree with about movies. I wonder when this movie will come to Brazil
Not sure if you'll like this film, Boltzmann. I think it may have too many lapses in logic for you to thoroughly enjoy it. ;)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Well your points are true, they did use technology and a modern enviorment to create a feeling of an unsafe atmosphere. I just thought that everyong in the movie seemed to unrealistic, not doing what people would actually do in the situation.

SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!

Ted Raimi's character for example (Alex the Boss) saw Yoko walking looking pretty much dead as it was seeing how she was, no real person would act that calm. The sister...If you drive across tokyo and can't get a supernatural force off your back, hiding under the blankets isn't going to do much. Cousin It is eating your boyfriend, you sit 2 feet away and cry about it. The only performances i thought were reasonably realistic was that of the Police officer until he idiotically decided to check out the creepy noise before burning down the house. It's hard to think much of a movie when everyone in the movie was so incredibly stupid.
And some of Bill Pullman's performance was just laughable. He commits suicide because he finds the body of his stalker whom he's never met...think he's taking the death of a stranger a little to personally

Not only that but all the "scares" were extremely predictable.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
I found that movie quite humurous. :p The acting was fairly poor imo (like when someone dies right in front of you, you wouldn't be as calm as some these actors were). Best part of this movie experience was the popcorn :p

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Snake785 said:
I found that movie quite humurous. :p The acting was fairly poor imo (like when someone dies right in front of you, you wouldn't be as calm as some these actors were). Best part of this movie experience was the popcorn :p
Nothing beats movie theatre popcorn :p i was still eating it this morning. And yes the acting was quite poor.

·
The King of All Kings.
257 Posts
im most likely not to see it.
horror or anything else scary for that matter scares the heck outta me.
the ring stills gives me shivers.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
The Shadow said:
im most likely not to see it.
horror or anything else scary for that matter scares the heck outta me.
the ring stills gives me shivers.
I still can't see how people found the ring scary. It was creepy but not once was there a scary moment. Yet another boring horror film based off something japanese. now lets just wait for the american version of "the eye".

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
I never got any food in movie theaters :cry:
At least I made it up by going home and make some Theater Style microwave popcorn :D

The Ring is one of the few horror movies I remember the basic plot... it is quite dumb but is still the least dumb one I seen :(
What genre is Resident Evil? It was so funny that I laughed :lol: But of course, it might be because I saw it on TV with commercials, good lightning, and non ear deafing sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts