Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to finally give Steam a try, but I'm having some trouble here.

I first installed Half-life, then Steam. I was under the impression Steam would fully update HL to the latest version, but instead it's trying to download a 400MB update, which based on the size I assume is the entire game.

So, how do I get steam to recognize my HL installation and update only the necessary files?

[]s Badaro

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
well, you are supposed to install Steam and then have it install HL out of that ;) installing HL first and then having it steam it it rather messy, that's what i did when i first got steam back in the day and it made a mess of files....the best thing to do is completely start over, put steam on and then just have it install HL from there.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hushypushy said:
well, you are supposed to install Steam and then have it install HL out of that ;) installing HL first and then having it steam it it rather messy, that's what i did when i first got steam back in the day and it made a mess of files....the best thing to do is completely start over, put steam on and then just have it install HL from there.
But when I ask to install HL from Steam it starts to download all 400MB of the game, without asking for the CD. And I don't feel like downloading a game I already have on CD. :)

[]s Badaro

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
Thats how Steam works though. It downloads the game off the internet. I felt dumb buying the plat pack and then not having to insert one CD but that's the way it is.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ipswitch said:
Thats how Steam works though. It downloads the game off the internet. I felt dumb buying the plat pack and then not having to insert one CD but that's the way it is.
Damn, but that's downright stupid! Imagine the poor folks with limited download quotas, who buy the CD only to find out they'll still have to use a large chunk od their quotas to download the entire game again.

[]s Badaro

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
IIRC you install half-life, use the default install folder. Then in steam go to install half-life in the games list and during the setup it should ask if you would like to import your old files. I know it is capable though...

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
yes, reich is right (and basically thats what i said in my first post)...but unfortunately it leaves a nasty mess. i remember there was still some stuff in C:\Sierra\Half-Life and \Counterstrike but...bah just download it :p

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Reichfuher said:
IIRC you install half-life, use the default install folder. Then in steam go to install half-life in the games list and during the setup it should ask if you would like to import your old files. I know it is capable though...
This might explain why it wasn't working, I always install games to D:. I need to install Half-life or Steam first?

Edit: Worked, thanks. Hard to believe Steam is this stupid though. :p

[]s Badaro

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iran said:
Hi guys, is their anyway to make steam working if you're behind a firewall
I'm behind two firewalls and didn't have any conectivity issues with Steam. Mind specifying what the problem is?

[]s Badaro

·
Nobody Knows Him
526 Posts
what type of an firewall?

·
Registered
331 Posts
i think on the steam website they display the ports you need to open/forward? but yea..back in the day what i did was install steam with HL installed and then it would take my HL cd key from there to make me a steam ID that would be tied to the account you register with. i think when you register it asks you for a cd key? yea, and one of the bonuses of buying the plat pack means you get like 3 cd keys that you can use (half life, cs retail, blue shift). its great. i got the same thing and gave the extra 2 cd keys i had to friends.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Iran said:
Please, do some research before posting. www.steampowered.com/forums has all the answers you need for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi, Badaro the only port that is opened is port 80, and i dont know what type of firewall the IT people is using.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts