Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A name, a release date, clock speeds, supported instruction sets. Anything would do.

Asking cause I haven't heard a thing from either company since the release of the Phenom II and the i7(other than the making of an "i5", but I don't know much of that one either).

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
AMD's bulldog cores will be out sometime in Q1/Q2 2010, they are supposed to include SSE5.

Intel's Westmere processors should be out in Q3/Q4 09 starting with the Gulftown 6 Core processor with 12MB of shared L3 and 1.5MB of L2 (256K per core)

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12 MBs of L3 cache? Isn't that a bit much?(hell, what am I saying? Like I even know half of this stuff)

Did AMD ever say how many cores their new processors will have? Aiming for 6 cores as well, I believe?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
they are aiming for 12 Cores by the end of 2010, but the next will be 6 core iirc.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
GTA4 is a good example of a game that needs more :p

>.> stupid game uses the CPU to generate shadows.

·
Finger of Doom
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigIg is right, though. Most programs don't even use two cores to begin with, and those that do are generally not optimized well enough.

·
Pink Poney
728 Posts
Well I'm sure software vendors will have more incentive to optimize their programs when cpus are having 6 or 12 cores.

Not that I know anything about software engineering, I'm sure it's a complicated and expensive process to develop for software for multicore useage; going from 1 to 2 cores probably didn't seem worth it for most, but 12 cores could really change the way software runs...

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
It's easy to see where this is going.

The days of more speed is the only way! mentality...now it's more cores is the way!... Because we all know the average home PC owner is going to need 6+ cores :rolleyes: And we all know just adding on the cores is the way to push forward with innovation and technology... Moore is rolling in his grave~!

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Yep skore I have been saying that all along...that said up to Quads things are usefull and all 4 cores get used more than you think BigIg

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Not really neccessarily....there's only so many seperate modules that can be coded before it becomes ridiculous and no longer offers additional performance...

Remember you can't add the cores together, they all have to work on a seperate thing...but eventually there won't be any more things that can be split up to improve performance by having them both running on a seperate cores instead of the same 3Ghz Core....

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
It's easy to see where this is going.

The days of more speed is the only way! mentality...now it's more cores is the way!... Because we all know the average home PC owner is going to need 6+ cores :rolleyes: And we all know just adding on the cores is the way to push forward with innovation and technology... Moore is rolling in his grave~!
Yep skore I have been saying that all along...that said up to Quads things are usefull and all 4 cores get used more than you think BigIg
Because you can't make something that goes faster than your mind can comprehend. :p

But jokes aside, I believe they're hitting a clockspeed wall... and it just can't get any faster without breaking stuffs left and right. Instead of trying more, they thought about adding more onto a single chip instead... and hence multi-core processors were born.

Truth be told, a multi-core, multi-threaded design may well be better than a single bruteforce one in some situations... And more truth be told, game consoles have been multi-threaded for a while. :p (or the approach makes use of multiple processing cores/elements) And I mean... that's all the way back to the PlayStation. But why are emulators not fast enough? Um... meow? ;p Computers are like cats and game consoles are like dogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.