Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The connections office here at school aren't any help, at all.

Well, I have this problem with my connection. I'm using a LAN at my university and there are times when it's not working properly. Windows says I'm connected fine, ipconfig says I'm connected fine (and even pings myself and my server with absolutely no loss), but when I try to use anything that utilizes the Internet (web browser, updater, Steam, etc) it just doesn't work.

Also, while the line is down, Windows refuses to stand-by for some reason and it also takes a HELL of a long time to start up. When I try to stand by, it either hangs at the "Preparing to stand-by" screen or gives an error message saying Windows can't stand-by due to something using my nVidia ethernet driver or something. Seems the only thing I can blame CrapCleaner for is Norton screwing up.

I've went through many things trying to get around this, from getting a new ethernet cable, to setting up my IP and Gateway addresses myself (It seems my computer can't detect the default gateway on its own. This method worked for a while.) And even tried FORMATTING, hoping my recent problems with CrapCleaner would have caused it. But none of these worked.

I tried repairing my connection, but it says it fails to renew my IP address. I'm the only person on my floor having this problem and the connections office says that the server says my connection is absolutely fine.

I'm dropping my nVidia firewall now, to see if it has anything to do with it.

This one has me boggled, but I'm new to networking. This is actually my first time away from dialup. Can anyone help me?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. Unplugging/replugging the cable, restarting, shutting down, or even killing power to the power supply doesn't bring the connection back. Instead it seems to work on its own schedule, which is a good reason to believe that the problem lies somewhere between my wall and the server. However, my cousin's laptop can hook up to this very line absolutely fine.

This adds to the confusion, I'm completely stumped :\

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I downloaded the drivers. I'll install them the next time my connection farts.

But actually, the whole "no firewall" thing is actually holding out pretty nicely . . . But we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Okay, I tried reinstalling the drivers. They just hung at the "ethernet driver" section. Then I restarted, uninstalled them, and tried installing them again. The installation was sucessful, but plugging in my network cable causes a bluescreen and a spontaneous restart. Now my Internet connection still fails to work, even if I input the IP and gateway options manually. I'm willing to bet it is a hardware problem, I should go ahead and get an NIC.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
340 Posts
hate to ask the stupid questions, but are you sure you downloaded the right drivers for the networking card? check your motherboard manufactor's website and get their drivers.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gameman733 said:
hate to ask the stupid questions, but are you sure you downloaded the right drivers for the networking card? check your motherboard manufactor's website and get their drivers.
Oh God, I completely forgot about that. I Installed the nVidia forceware drivers from the nVidia website, but I NEVER even considered getting them from ASUS ><!

Well, I gotta do another format anyway, but I should try it nonetheless.

·
Registered
177 Posts
the bsod maybe caused by another thing
the nforce driver installs by default a proprietary ide driver... just don't install it... it's buggy(and caused me a lot of bsods)
then make sure you have disabled the nvidia firewall(and nvidia armor)
try to switch the lan cable with another next to you for a while

and check if the problem still occurs in your pc or on the other one

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
1) Are you using DHCP to recover your IP parameters?
2) Try to ping your default gateway and then the DNSs (both could be found in ipconfig)
3) does your network use some proxy server? if so, you have to configure it.
4) in some rare cases NVidia Eth. drivers tend to use a "00:00:00:00:00:00" as mac address or an already used mac address on the network, you have to correct that by changing it in bios of your PC (not easy).

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I recently got a new copy of Windows and an NIC (just in case I needed it, it was only like $15)

Got everything installed and stuff, things seems to work fine. But my LAN (through either the NIC or my onboard one) refuses to detect my ethernet cord. I plug it in, it doesn't pick it up, just says there's no cord connected.

I tried installing motherboard drivers, different chords, using my onboard ethernet controller, etc. Nothing works. Device Manager lists two "unknown devices," do you think that has something to do with it? I can't think of what they could be, everything's there: sound card, video, CDROMs, harddrive, CPU, etc.

I'll complain to the connections office, along with your advice lord and chp. I need the internet for some courses I'm doing ;[

Thanks for the help, any more advice is welcome :p

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Lots of universities use MAC filtering to control who can and can't access the network. When you changed your NIC card, you changed your MAC address. So, you might have to call the NOC and get your MAC association reset and updated.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Err, wait, hold on. I'm back :D

Turns out that the server here at school automatically shuts down a connection when it detects a second port (the NIC I put in). So the guy reset it and it works fine yay internets!

Thanks for your advice though, I really appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.