Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This biggest news for Spring 2004 was the deployment of the Chankast Dreamcast emulator.

A lot of time has passed since then and the development of the Dreamcast emualtors seem to have come to a halt.

There doesn't seem to be anymore development news for Chankast.

There was also a promise that the Icarus Dreamcast emulator would be released this summer, but this date as pass also.

Are there any work being done with the development of the Dreamcast emulator?

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
:???:
Of course they are working on it, unless they want Chankast to turn out to be something like Corn, but it will take some time before the actual changes are worth a new release.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
When you get as far as Chankast, you indeed have to take some time to go over everything and get it to perfection. Im sure the bugs remaining are some very tough ones since Chankast works so well already :)

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I so liked corn... hope chankst dosen't die out as well.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well 'm sure it took the Chabkast team a loong time to get the emulator to what it was today (in what 2 or 3 releases?) So maybe they aren't gonna release a new version till it's equally as impressive the second time around. :D Like maybe all games will work and no bugs whatsoever! Well I can dream ... :p

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
Don't knock that idea, you never know. ePSXe is basically perfect, with only a few small bugs which aren't even worth mentioning.

So, Razor, you never know...

r2rX :D

S

·
0 Posts
ready2rumbelX said:
Don't knock that idea, you never know. ePSXe is basically perfect, with only a few small bugs which aren't even worth mentioning.
while I appreciate the effort of ePSXe, I disagree. There are some significant bugs left. It's not at the level of emulators like Gens or Zsnes.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Indeed. The only way it would be considered on the same level as those two is if different configurations for different games were not required, and yet we still got hte image quality enhancements. Regardless, I don't think it's likely to significantly improve for numerous reasons.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The only options that should be present in a perfect Playstation emulator should be for screen resolution, colour depth etc... Games should "just work" like they do in other emulators. The current state is that they are significantly flawed, but workable.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
Samor said:
while I appreciate the effort of ePSXe, I disagree. There are some significant bugs left. It's not at the level of emulators like Gens or Zsnes.
What significant problems/bugs are there in ePSXe, that are extremely noticable and important for satisfactory emulation?

r2rX oO

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Did you actualy read the posts after Sp4m0r's? We gave and explained one quite obvious imperfection. Add to this there is a list of games that will alway exhibit glitches (FF4 with the black edges of sprites, etc) and there are games which simply don't work, there are MDEC timing problems in some games.....

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
Not all games work on Zsnes either :D , as for dreamcast emulators there was some news from the Chankast team, about a possible release of Chankast to the Xbox, and also that they might make it open source ( since they got a little burned out working so hard on making chankast what it is today ) ... of course it might just have been rumors since I didn't see it on the official site :O

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
ZeZu said:
Who promised an Icarus release this summer ?
I dont recall promising anything....
its been one year since youve posted here....Welcome back :)
keep us informed with the development of Icarus, seems like you've been quite busy the last couple of months :thumb:

(normally i should warn you for reviving ol threads...but o well :heh: )

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yeah, warn him Chrono, we should all be treated equally :p

But does this mean he is one of the Icarus authors? :innocent:
I've never been into the early days of DC emulation so I missed the whole part about Icarus and such.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
people what has happend to the whole idea of emulation? what I see now is that group of ppl ('make a release 'couse we want to play games') is getting larger and larger...

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts