Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just bought my first gun last week and am having it delivered to an ffl dealer this week. I just never saw a thread on the topic and wondered if there were any other gun owners on the boards?

Oh, and any anti-gun sheep can kiss my ass. Dont post any **** talk here...im drunk and dont feel like defending gun ownership.

The gun I bought is the "Browning: High Power" chambered in the 40 s&w. I like the mag capacity of the 9mm but wanted a cartridge more worthy of self defense than the 9mm (not that its bad...but I've shot both rounds and am capable of handling a 40). It has a factory modified safety designated as the SFS (Safety Fast Shooting) by its creator. It allows a gun to be carried loaded and cocked and "safe". To engage this safety, you can load and cock the gun, then push the hammer forward into its full forward position and engage the safety switch. To put the gun in ready to shoot mode simply disable the safety switch and the hammer automatically gets pulled to ready to fire position....so I figure that this would make it worthwhile to have at the house for self protection.

Anyone else here have guns?

-Unicron

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Greetings,

I am the owner of a Tanfoglio EAA Witness .40Cal S&W firearm. I bought mine at a gun show, got a pretty good deal on it. It is an excellent pistol (based on the same design as CZ70, I think).

I too like the .40Cal S&W, although I have come to realize all the hype about the "huge kick" that a .45 has is largely BS. I think it is also worth mentioning that the gun itself has a large influence on the kick, I have fired a 9mm (Taurus) that had more kick than my .40Cal. On a side note, that Taurus was a POS. You are right about the higher magazine capacity of the 9mm, which would indeed be nice, but I have many stories which would indicate that the 9mm's penetrating power is nil. Honestly, if you make the choice, for whatever reason, to kill another human being, you damn well better mean it. Taking .38s and 9mms into a firefight is like taking a kitchen knife or a wakazashi (respectively) into a swordfight with katanas. Truly skilled wielders might be able to pull it off, but I personally dont have the time to practice shooting every single day. Of course, that .50Cal magnum round would be the giant two-sided battle axe wielded by the monster of a man who can split a knight in full plate armor in two.

I honestly hope that I never have to make the choice to turn my gun on another human being. Hell, I don't even like killing animals, although I sure do like eating them. However, if a point in time comes where I have to make the choice between living and dying, and a condition of living is the death of another human being who is the cause of the forced choice as well as my eventual death if I do not act, you can bet your ass I am at least going to try to kill him first. Why? Simply because I value the life of myself, my friends, and my family over the life of one who would disrespect our right to exist. Also note that I dont mention the concept of a firearm here, because it is irrelevant. Guns, knives, swords, bombs, and bare fists; in all these cases the above statement stands.

*At this point I went on a long ass rant, but in order to not high-jack this thread, I decided to create a new topic instead. Unicron, if you would be so kind as to read the same and post response, I would appreciate it.*

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, for what experience I have killing an animal I could probably drink less without that experience. But, I didnt have a problem actually doing that and wouldnt flinch to kill a human that posed a threat to myself or a loved one/friend with any aforementioned weapons.

eh, did you say you opened another thread? I couldnt find it.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
I think it's the freedom thread?

Anyway, the kick can be lessened by the design of the gun, but theoretically, given similar design, a higher caliber ought to have more kick.

I'm not sure though with the legality of keeping it around in cocked safety. Child protection stuff. Yeah, there's a safety on, but I'm still uncomfortable about it.

I don't think there's much of an issue since most states allow lethal force anyway when someone trangresses life and property, especially when there's clear malicious intent.

EDIT: A wakizashi can win against a katana if fought indoors (large halls excluded :D)

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Well, Magnum .44 is quite famous for its kicking power. How much of it is true, i do not know, but that gun certainly looks badass. :)

Not a gun owner, but i have my Practical Pro Katana (by hanwei) on my wall for... unwelcome guests. :evil:

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Vanit said:
Guns scare me, whether they're in someone elses hands or my own.
A fair and honest statement to be sure. They are afterall tools which are specifically tailored and honed for one task: killing. I dont generally feel uncomfortable when I am by myself, working with my own firearm, or when I am at the shooting range with other competant shooters. I think in the later situation it's because I know that every person there is taking it very serious.

What does scare the crap out of me is when I am in a persons home and they decide to clean or "play" with a firearm. It is this sort of non-chalant type situations that are most likely to produce a horrible accident. I really prefer it when people take guns very seriously, and treat them with respect and not with too much comfort or familiarity.

Also what scares the crap out of me is when a grown man starts waving around a sword (regardless of design) like he knows what he is doing when he clearly does not. That is a genuinely frightening scenario, and I usually vacate the premisis A.S.A.P.. Regardless of reason, I dont like new, large holes anywhere in my body, and I also dont want to have to call an ambulance after he puts a hole in his own torso and then try to explain to the police what happened.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Also what scares the crap out of me is when a grown man starts waving around a sword (regardless of design) like he knows what he is doing when he clearly does not.
It is said that a sword in the hands of untrained is equally, if not more, dangerous to his surroundings and himself than to the actual opponent. And mostly that is true. I'd never really use it unless i really had to, especially because i have no training in using them.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
My sword is a little bit too big to defend myself with. I think its a 2-Handed sword too (I tried wielding it with one and it hurt my wrist).

Oh come on, if you had this sword you'd want to atleast attempt some Final Fantasy poses :).

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Vanit said:
My sword is a little bit too big to defend myself with. I think its a 2-Handed sword too (I tried wielding it with one and it hurt my wrist).

Oh come on, if you had this sword you'd want to atleast attempt some Final Fantasy poses :).
I wouldnt. I would end up decapitating myself or my dog sitting next to me. :)

If you ever have an urge to defend yourself with that one, here is a word of warning.
That sword is wallhanger piece, and because of their construction, they break extremely easily. Their blade is attached to hilt in almost all cases with a mere rat-tail tang with mediocre welding. Steel is also fragile stainless steel. They are also incredibly badly balanced (because they are not meant to be used in the first place) so they are too heavy and unwieldy to use. Its no surprise your wrist aches when holding one. Be careful when swinging it, even lightly.

If you were not serious, ignore me. Thats still a good looking sword. :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
@Vanit: I'd much rather preserve the sword from any acids I might transfer onto it. :p

I have quite a few guns and even hand-grenades, all from WWII, both from the Alliance and the German forces. They're all disposed of triggering mechanisms, gunpowder and such though, and in several, the barrels have been clogged permanently. They're decoration now. ;)

I have other weapons than firearms and swords that I could use if ever needed, which are hardly as lethal without proper use. I have indonesian sabres as well, but I wouldn't prefer to use them.

Also, just for the heck of it, I'll say that hunting defenseless animals for kicks is truly pathetic, cowardly, and really only for those with low self-esteem or with a somewhat dangerously deranged mindset. Eat that! :p

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Haha, nah I wasn't serious about using it. I was just saying one such attempt would be futile :p.

Now I'll stop bringing this thread off the topic of guns. Carry on.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
moomoomoo said:
Is it easy to get a gun in the US then? Not sure how it would be done in the UK.. If I wanted one, that is.
That's exactly how I think about it as well. Personally I think it is better that they aren't easy to obtain in my country, but that's a different discussion :)

·
band
4,912 Posts
i wonder how easy it is to get a gun in canada...ive never actually thot about it but im just wondering as well :)

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
now everyone wants a gun..great. So when are we shooting each other? :p

On a more serious note, I am thinking of joining a kendo ( japanese fencing ) club and start learning about swordmanship. I've also thought about aquiring a gun seeing how I live alone and all, but I am not sure if I should bother getting one. Guns scare me more than katanas..

Yours,
-E

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
When I was in the US it was kind of hard to get used to the fact that quite a few of the people I saw was acctually armed with a gun. In Sweden even having a knife is illegal....

Anyway like the writer said, he didn't want to this thread to turn into a discussion about guns and why they're bad or good or whatever.. there's one thing I want to tell him though, drinking and guns are bad a combination so keep them apart.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
If I had the opportunity, I'd get a gun myself, but I have no knowledge, much less experience in handling one. You never really know what can happen. It's illegal to carry it around though, but at least it's SOME security for my home.

_E_ said:
now everyone wants a gun..great. So when are we shooting each other? :p

On a more serious note, I am thinking of joining a kendo ( japanese fencing ) club and start learning about swordmanship. I've also thought about aquiring a gun seeing how I live alone and all, but I am not sure if I should bother getting one. Guns scare me more than katanas..

Yours,
-E
Oh, but you know how women alone are so easy targets of attack :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.