Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow been a long time eh? I've been away cause i just got Dreamcast! All I have to say is WOW! Its an awesome system thats just often looked as a crappy waste of time/money. But I can tell you for sure, you wont waste your $99 for DC. Everyone says there are crap games, but I can think of 10 great games:

Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Soul Caliber
Grandia II
Phantasy Star Online
Skies of Arcadia
Powerstone 1 and 2
Jet Grind Radio
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
All of the 2k1 and 2 series
House of the Dead 2

many more to name. Just askin you PSX fans here what you think about DC. I think im gonna get a lot of insults, but remember, I also love PSX as much as some of you do.

-edit- how could i forget about Shenmue?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah I was thinkning that when I bought my DC but after only a few short months, its starting to feel a bit old. I mean I have almost all the good games you can think of (side note: believe me, the crap to good game ratio is about 12:1), and nothing has really caught my eye or given me a feeling of "WOW!".

I wanted that great feeling that I got after playing FF3 (US). Even the first 2 discs of FF9 captivated me (until the next two sorta blew it). But on the DC... not even one game has come close to that feeling. Shenmue was a bit disappointing (although still a masterpiece) and although I haven't finished Grandia II yet, it already seems to pale in comparison to the original (one of my favs of all time) I just need to get a copy of Skies soon. Hopefully its the best of the three.

On the other hand, DC is a great party machine. I am pretty much the only gamer in my house, and yet I own 4 DC controllers and have a hell of a lot of fun with SFA3's vs. Dramatic battle, Unreal Tournament, NBA Hoopz and Virtua Tennis among other great 4 player games. The best part is that with the system dying, such accessories are pretty affordable and can bring a lot of entertainment. But when no one else is available to play with me, my DC suddenly turns into a Street Fighter machine, and with the new SFZ3 rom decyrpted, my PC can take over that role.

With almost no new games coming out for the system, its sure to lose user interest as the new hype machines go head to head later this year. But hell I don't regret buying it, it is a great system with a handful of new games coming which should tide over DC owners until they get their new toys. Congrats on the purchase, you've got some gaming to do. Have fun!

C

·
0 Posts
Heh, crap to good ratio eh? 12:1, I doubt that.. The only thing the DC is lacking is in RPGs..

Anyway, the PSX's 'crap to good ratio' is ridiculously high, yet people still mindlessly buy it..

·
Old Geezer
148 Posts
Sample game in PSX: Pepsiman.

So ridiculously bad that you somehow get addicted to it. It has that one song (yes, one song throughout the whole game!) that gets to you and sticks very hard in your head...

The lyrics of the song?

Pepsiiiiiiimaaaaaaan!

:eyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well DC's crap list of course pales in comparison to PSX which has been around much longer. I mean Sabrina the Teenage witch and Mary & Ashley Olsen games are pretty ummm.... bad. (Who in the hell would think these games could actually make money?!?!) Hard to top a collection like that.

Still, DC has PLENTY of crap games, maybe cause a lot of em are Jap and we wouldn't even be able to appreciate them if they were in fact good. Furthermore, hyped garbage like Illbleed was disappointing to say the least. I don't play even 1/10 of my DC games... I don't even know why I bothered.

Thing is, even though you have all those arcade ports and all, its nothing you really haven't seen before. Even Crazy Taxi 2 was basically just more of the same. If you haven't played any of them however (I've only tried a few myself) then I guess that might decrease the level of what might be considered crap... well maybe not crap so much as mediocre.

But yeah, the system has some cool games. Enough to justify a $99 ($150CDN) system purchase. Can't wait for Shemue 2!!! Soldier of Fortune!!! Half Life!!! If any of these get cancelled, I don't know if I can continue living..... <: |

Don't pull a Soul Reaver 2 on us!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bought a DC after seeing Jet Grind Radio & Space Channel 5 at a friend's home... :)

I was a little bit disappointed when I heard tehy planned to do a PS2 port of the 2 games...

well... I rediscovered the 'Virtua Cop"-kind of games :)
Confidential Mission's scenario is quite good... for a shooting game :)

S

·
0 Posts
wel, IMO the crap:good ratio is high on most systems, but that still leaves many good games.

I agree with CD that the crap:good ratio on psx is higher than DC, but there are still dozens of good games left.

With pc it's even worse....IMO pc has a crap:good ratio of 35:1 or something, but it still leaves enough good games to "empty me wallet" :D

S

·
0 Posts
..as for DC, allthough I don't have one I played it at a friend and was impressed...at the moment I'm not feeling like buying one though...
I spend enough money buying pc and psx games :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
i think the arcade machines controller is the best , if i had one for the DC i'd love it even more , the original pad is very annoying when playing DOA2.
see ya...

;)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Originally posted by Snake785
The only game I like for DC is Daytona USA. That game rox!
Hmm..........you remind me when I was 14 years old.......
First arcade game that I was enjoyed was "Daytona USA"
8 players connected duel cars with high speed........how cool......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nobody mentioned any fighting games really, 'cept SFA3. If MvC2 didn't have unlimited assists, it would be fun. MvC is fun, all the SF's, DoA2 (although that hit detection is hilarious, I just can't take the game seriously). Well, fighting is its strongest genre, yet nobody here seems to realize it. I hate how PS2 was worse than PS1 though, it just wasn't as dramatic and fast-paced. 4 player is nice, but everyone prefers SSB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts