Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
- NOD32 2.7
- Kaspersky AV 2009
- Norton 2009 or Norton 2009 Gamer Edition (reluctantly, it will have to be admitted it improved very significantly and features a disturbingly low memory footprint now. Home users used to the old players can find it easy to use. Gamer edition more optimal for gamers. A surprise to see symantec come back to its senses).

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Not Norton
Not McAfee

Most anything else is halfway decent at least

- Norton 2009 or Norton 2009 Gamer Edition (reluctantly, it will have to be admitted it improved very significantly and features a disturbingly low memory footprint now. Home users used to the old players can find it easy to use. Gamer edition more optimal for gamers. A surprise to see symantec come back to its senses).
No. Bad. Horrible.

As a tech, I can't tell you the sheer volume of issues I've completely resolved with the words "uninstall norton"

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
if you can stand adds at times go with a avria and malwarebytes combo, if not or are want ing the very most extensive antivirus security around (from what ive heard) go for nod32 ive never tried it because it costs but ive heard a hell of alot of good things about it.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
use a combination of software to keep the computer safe......
1.zone alarm/comodo........first line of defense the firewall
2.spybot search and destroy.......if some fishy spywares lurks into the system
3.avg antivirus........if something bad<like virut series of viruses sneak past the defences>

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
- NOD32 2.7
But that's age old!

Anyway, I've been on this formula for ~the past 8 months:

1) ESET Smart Security: Recently upgraded to v4. Its definitely a lot more customizable with interactive mode to allow specific apps and services to freely communicate.

2) Spybot S&D v1.6.2: Anti-spyware and malware. Pretty light on resources too.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
But that's age old!
Still superior protection to 'recent' ones.
3 and 4: souped up GUI. v3 and v4 ressource consumption is significantly higher, without increasing the protection significantly. The services also can easily bog down over 70%cpu (more noticeable on single cores, which rules out use on older systems, locking down workstations (till you stop them, then workstations return to 'normal').

The full eset suite features a mediocre firewall btw. If a suite needed, kaspersky takes the crown, moreso with ht/dc (regular home users need stuff either easily manageable or familiar, not everyone is as hcore at setting optimal protections)

As a tech, I can't tell you the sheer volume of issues I've completely resolved with the words "uninstall norton"
Neither can I, but youre talking about the passive (editions after 2003 except corporate ones), which noone is unaware of. Its normal that over the years, to the more techy audiences, norton became synonymous to 'elephantware'. There are people who will use norton whatever others say, and the improvement over the trend of the last 5 years is one to note. Antiviruses arent religions (to preach or diss).

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
nod32 3.0 sucks.
I strongly disagree! Haven't had ANY major virus attacks since I installed it 10 months ago. The memory footprint is also minimal, varying from 20-30MB at most times (give or take 5 occasionally).

Still superior protection to 'recent' ones.
3 and 4: souped up GUI. v3 and v4 ressource consumption is significantly higher, without increasing the protection significantly. The services also can easily bog down over 70%cpu (more noticeable on single cores, which rules out use on older systems, locking down workstations (till you stop them, then workstations return to 'normal').
Hmm...but doesn't that mean the virus signature database will be out-dated? Or do they still provide updates for it?

·
band
4,912 Posts
This thread is of interest to me because I'm thinking of getting a new install for my girlfriend's PC. Currently I'm planning to install Symantec Corporate Antivirus, but is there anything else out there with unlimited updates (one time fee?) and is light ?

·
☭Paragon of Omnipotence☭
226 Posts
- NOD32 2.7
- Kaspersky AV 2009
Hmm Gamer Edition sounds interesting. But still i can't think of norton in any situation.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
ABG isn't effective anymore IMO. It was good when v7 was there, but ever since v7.5, I used to have hordes of virii attacks.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
AVG is great; the only problem is that... well. I can't tell you the problem because of forum rules. You probably know what the problem is now.

The only others I've had were.

-Norton:: Too much crap I didn't need, expensive as all get-out.
-Avast:: You couldn't close the program... no matter what you did.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well there's a few anti virus/spyware programs I've used that I'll comment on.

Spybot S&D
It's always been a solid program, but it never did solve any really bad spyware issues back when I really needed it to on windows 98. Man that OS was spyware hell.

AVG Free
I use it all the time and let it scan every night, auto detects certain trojans and deletes them too.

Deletes stuff it shouldn't sometimes though, I think it deleted epsxe and psxeven once on me for example. Eats a lot of CPU when scanning, but has a slow down option at least. Annoying ad wanting you to buy now all the time in it too.

Ad-Aware
It never solved any serious spyware issues for me, plus it eats up too much cpu running unlike spybot.

Comodo Firewall/anti virus
Firewall security is usually pretty overboard for me but it's free at least. Anti virus never found anything AVG didn't. If you're on XP it let's you track processes as easily as you can in vista (let's you see where an active exe is from the task manager).

Avast
I hated this thing, I heard it was good, tried it, and it was a total resource hog and incredibly annoying (kept spitting errors that it couldn't connect to servers I think).

Zone Alarm
I recommend NEVER using this. Eats up a lot of resources and the anti virus is a joke. Had to uninstall it because it was causing hardware failures in windows XP all the time.

Norton Firewall/anti virus (I think the 2006 version)
Well this was garbage, didn't stop script kiddies
from pestering me either.

McAfee
I heard Norton, Mcafee and Zone Alarm all share the same anti virus database, so though I haven't tried McAfee's programs, I wouldn't expect much from them.

EZ Trust
Zone alarm in disguise, I got this free from my ISP a few years back, uninstalled it the next day since it wasn't solving a spyware problem.

Usually those are what my problems always consisted of, spyware from just general web browsing. Hasn't been a problem in vista so far. If you're a big time downloader (of completely legal, and copyright free files of course) most of what I use probably won't be a help to you.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
AVG 8, and Avira for people looking for a free antivirus.

Kaspersky and NOD32 for those who are willing to fork out cash. Internet security is much more desirable than the Antivirus-only package.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Zonealarm share sits definition base with kaspersky (shares part of the engine as well)

Kaspersky > ZoneAlarm > Norton.

Kaspersky and NOD32 for those who are willing to fork out cash. Internet security is much more desirable than the Antivirus-only package.
I've never once forked out cash for Kaspersky, theres always a legit free key give away, you just need to know where to look

·
!
6,312 Posts
This thread is of interest to me because I'm thinking of getting a new install for my girlfriend's PC. Currently I'm planning to install Symantec Corporate Antivirus, but is there anything else out there with unlimited updates (one time fee?) and is light ?
Mr.D.D,are you kidding?,,you mentioned "My girlfriend" in ever post you posted,at least what i saw,damn.maybe you like your girlfriend very much,lucky you.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts