Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving on to Windows 7 shortly (just purchased via a student discount), and I'm looking forward to the upgrade as an opportunity to test something.

I've used antivirus software since I had my first computer about a few years ago, and I've never gotten a 'virus' to my knowledge. However, a friend of mine has had his computer for about 3 or 4 years, and does not use antivirus, and he's never had problems with his computer. He even disables the windows firewall and windows defender :p.

I'm beginning to think that antivirus software is just a way for software developers to prey on the insecurities of amateur computer users. Now, I don't consider myself the ultimate user, but I'm far from where I was when I got my first computer; getting rid of AV seems like taking of the training wheels to me.

What do the rest of you think? Is AV ultimately worth the monetary and performance price, to protect against something that might never happen?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
If you download safely and keep windows up to date you really shouldn't need a anti-virus.

Though a standalone scanner to run every once in awhile is good.

·
Registered
246 Posts
just get the Microsoft Security Essentials, i've never had any problem with viruses since the early xp days. and i have mostly used free antivirus software like avast or avira, i don't see the need to pay for something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place, and most of the antivirus software is bloated anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Focus has changed to allaround protection, through 'suites'. You couldnt go wrong with getting on the most recommended ones.

'Not having been infected' can also imply your existing software just didnt catch whatever infections. And truth be told, viruses are not the greatest risk to users. Trojans, creential stealers, dialers, backdoors are, and antiviruses simply are not the best defense against that, though most have ben rolling (not so effective) antispyware measures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.