1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is antialiasing?
Are graphics better with this?
What is 2x2 or 4x4?
I've just bought a Geforce2 MX and I don't know what is this.
And at last
Why does my card goes better in 1024x768 32bit than in 640x480 16bit?
Does it happen to you?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anti-Aliasing is a way to make edges of polygons look smoother. There are different techniques for it, but I believe the way the GeForces do it is by increasing the resolution, then basically shrinking the size of it. The other way (Which I believe that Voodoo 4/5 cards used) is to make an exact duplicate of the image, displace it by a few pixels, and lay that over the original. They both work to make the edges be less jagged. The 2x2 means that the image is rendered with an increase of 2 times in both dimensions (So that if you are running at 1024x768, it will render it at a resolution of 2048x1536). 4x4 means that the image is rendered with an increase of 4 times in both dimensions. The larger the increase, the smoother the lines appear. Anti-Aliasing can take a pretty big hit on the speed of the games you're playing, however from what I've heard, the GeForce2's are pretty good about staying at a playable speed.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by your last question.. Do you mean that the games run faster when you set the resolution to 1024x768x32? I don't know for sure on that, but my guess would be that since 1024x768x32 is quickly becoming the standard resolution to run in, it's probably that the drivers are more tweaked for that resolution. Hardly anyone with a GeForce2 card would be running anything at 640x480x16, so there's no real reason for them to worry about tweaking the drivers for that. However, I do have to say it's a little od... I would think even if 1024x768x32 was tweaked the hell out of, it would still be at least no faster if not slower than 640x480x16...

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Now that was a long post LanGaidin:D .
Bye.

S

·
0 Posts
My GEForce 2 GTS card runs games at full speed w/FSAA on. If there are any slow downs, it is due to CD Writer not the video card. As you said LanGaidin, the GEForce holds it speed very well even w/FSAA turn on. Vanyar, your GEForce MX should perform just fine w/FSSA (Full Scene Anti Aliasing) turned on. You should see a larege improvement in your graphics quality as well, I know I do.:)
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I`m talking about 3DMark2000. It gives me more score when running at 1024x768x32. In games I didn't notice any improve or loss in speed changing resolution. When it goes slow it is for my system specs (PII 300Mhz, 64Mb SDRAM 66MHz) but for example Quake III goes very very well at 1024x768x32 at highest quality with antialiasing (forced 4x4 at Direct3D, and 2x2 at OpenGL).
Another question:
Does Quake III use Transform & Lighting?
Is there any method to make all programs use Transform & Lighting like forcing antialiasing in Direct3D?

C

·
0 Posts
Yes, Quake III: Arena can use Hardware T&L.
No, you can not 'force' Hardware T&L in all games.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I`m talking about 3DMark2000. It gives me more score when running at 1024x768x32. In games I didn't notice any improve or loss in speed changing resolution. When it goes slow it is for my system specs (PII 300Mhz, 64Mb SDRAM 66MHz) but for example Quake III goes very very well at 1024x768x32 at highest quality with antialiasing (forced 4x4 at Direct3D, and 2x2 at OpenGL).

Ahh, okay, I really don't know much about 3DMark. I like seeing 3DMark scores in reviews, for reference, but for my own use, I've always preferred real-world ability over test scores (See how video cards are like real life? :p). Anyway, it's possible tha there's even a bug in 3DMark, I really don't know.

And, the fact that not everything can use T&L is a big part of why so many people complain that video cards are getting too far ahead of technology... The GeForce 256 was the first card to support on-board T&L, and it was released a year and a half ago, IIRC. And, still, there are only a handful of games that take advantage of it. Ahh well, in 10 years, when we have games that can take advantage of all the GeForce 3 features, I'm sure it will be worth it. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
i noticed in a few games that i played that when i had antialiasing on at 2x or 4x that some of the graphics wouldn't apeer like in epsxe ff9 the swirly affect wouldn't show if i had it turned on, and in a bunch of other games i've noticed little graphics that didn't show......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts