Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does this protection feature affect playability/compatibility of games in the various emulators? of course in a real PSX these games won't run if your console's modchipped, but how about emulators? will they or won't they run? just wanna know, i plan to buy an import game that's known to be anti-modchip protected.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I dunno, having a modchip is like having a guy sit there when the psx asks what country your psx is the guy says "Well, you know." But with emulators it can say, "I AM A JAPANESE PSX!" or so on.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so in effect, this is what you mean:

Psx Game: (translated from Japanese :D) hey Mr. PSX, im loadin' up.

PSOne: oh yeah, well, what's your region code?

PSX game: uh, me Nihon-jin...say, is that a modchip you got there?

PsOne: Yeah, so what?

PSX game: sorry dude, im programmed not to have anything to do with you guys. :eek:

PSOne: :rolleyes:

Now, with emulators.....:

Psx Game: hey Mr. Faux-PSX, im loadin' up.

VGS: oh, ok. *waves on PSX Game*

PSX game: hmm....nothing here that indicates a hardware modification to play backups, so i guess that's the green light for me to run! :D

*And the game finally loads up*

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...but then again, the trick lies in FINDING those patches in the first place, right? or are they easy enough for ordinary gamers with no programming experiiece whatsoever to do it thenselves?

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well not all games are covered, of course. I just did a search for Densha de Go! 2, a popular Shinkansen (Bullet Train) simulator, yet there weren't any. :( perhaps that applies to the Amercan games, but sadly not as much as for imports.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Well actually, most US games don't have that new anti mod protection.. Its mostly the imports that have anti mod protection.. did you try searching for "psx patches"? Your right though.. NOt all games are covered.. But its mostly imports that have the patches for copy protection.. Very Few US games have copy protection patches.. There are alot of US patches, but those patches are just for choosing NTSC or PAL and some have cheats..

Just look at all these patches for FF8 and FF9.. None of the protection fix patches are for the US version of the game.. Only the trainers and PAL Ntsc selectors are for the US..

http://www.megagames.com/psx/psx_patches_f.shtml

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:( wish i knew why most of the good games never get out of Japan.....

i guess illl just have to make do with Gameshark or PEC.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Technically you can "legally" have a backup copy of most things but everyone used that excuse too much when they weren't really doing legal backups so the US is saying that law doesn't really "count"

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
or rather, the authorities don'tr know where to draw the line at such laws.

in any case, the pirates will get their hands on it one way or another anyway. But what i don't get is why the Japan-based game companies choose not to release their excellent games overseas....is it really because of lax laws against piracy? :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
dunno....not releasing them ENCOURAGES piracy I think?
You're right though, there are a lot of excellent games that never make it out of japan.

Oh btw, you can read japanese? Since you have tokimemo in your signature.....

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, yes, or at least parts of it. :D

You don't really NEED to know what the hell they're saying, just basic knowledge of japanese conversational phrases will help you give them the right answers to their questions and get you through the game nicely. :)

S

·
0 Posts
hmm...well, I know what "baka" means, and that about covers my knowledge of japanese :eek:

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Samor
dunno....not releasing them ENCOURAGES piracy I think?
How about the game "Thrill Kill".... can you really consider it as a "pirated" game when there are no real sales figures to talk about? so i don't think it's not releasing them that's holding 'em back....it's prolly market perception that's the culprit.

S

·
0 Posts
I guess they think certain games won't appeal to american or european audiences.....
what not releasing gradius gaiden outside of japan has to do with that is beyond me though.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
We invented the Cracks for PC , so it ain't very dificult to creat them to PSX , DC , X-box , PS2 or even game Cube , in the end we will win !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts