Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been interested in knowing if the anti-alasing effects of cards such as the voodoo4 & 5 and geforce cards work on psx emulators such as epsxe or snes emulators such as snes9x. If they do I will glady go buy one as this would greatly help the image quality.

S

·
0 Posts
FSAA works w/PSX emulators when they are using enhanced graphics, like D3D mode or Open GL. SNES emulators don't use enhanced graphics so FSAA does not work w/them. Therefore FSAA would and does work w/ePSXe (you have to set it from the Nvidia control panel) but not with ZSNES or SNES 9x for Windows. But the SNES emulators have a special mode called "Eagle Mode" that makes the graphics look almost as nice as graphics w/FSAA. Also PSX games running in 3D (FF 9, BOF 4, etc) show off the FSAA effects really well. 2D PSX games do not. I have seen this for myself because I have a GEForce 2 GTS card w/FSAA enabled in both D3D and OGL. Hope this helps.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I went to my friends computer and he had a voodoo4. I set the anti-alasing on and loaded up epsxe running on lewpys glide and I could not see the effects of it. I know all 3 API support anti-alaising so maybe it is something that the plug-in develvoper has to add support for?

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Which game(s) did you try it with?

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
AND you say you didn't notice the difference.
Just wait and I'll post pics for you to see the difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Without FSAA at 800*600:

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
With FSAA still at 800*600:

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Look at the Soul Reaver around Raziel's arm:it looks much better.
Just watch these snapshots in fullscreen and you WILL see the difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Lewpy's plugin supports FSAA as does Petes. What FSAA does is it removes the jagged edges of graphics to make them look a lot smoother and pleasing to the eye. But you have enable FSAA from your cards control panel, the plugins do not do it automatically themselves. And as I said, 3D games, like FF9 and Soul Reaver, benefit more from FSAA than 2d games like Wild Arms do.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

S

·
0 Posts
if I remember snes9x can use 3d modes, at least it can use glide.....so perhaps you can use FSAA on it...but I doubt that looks good on 2d...I like the blurring that the nvidia cards do but other than that 2D games don't need all the enhancement tricks IMO.....playing them on a tv with tv-out gives a better result...

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by Samor
if I remember snes9x can use 3d modes, at least it can use glide.....so perhaps you can use FSAA on it...but I doubt that looks good on 2d...I like the blurring that the nvidia cards do but other than that 2D games don't need all the enhancement tricks IMO.....playing them on a tv with tv-out gives a better result...

Snes9x for Windows can use either Glide or OpenGL, for a "filtering effect" (that looks good, BTW). Not sure if FSAA works with then, thought (I have a V3).

[]s Badaro

S

·
0 Posts
I don't think the SNES does use FSAA since most of its games were 2D and it came out before FSAAwas widely implemented. Even the Commodore Amiga didn't have FSAA. But the SNES emulators have a certain mode or engine called "Super Eagle". W/Super Eagle, you can get 2d graphics almost as good as you would w/FSAA in 2d. I have played my 3d SNES games w/FSAA turned on and there is no difference, they are still as blocky and pixilated as on a real SNES. Even Eagle Mode doesn't help 3d games on the SNES. So I would have to say that, no, the SNES does not use FSAA.:(
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 15 of 15 Posts