Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here's the problem... although I don't know if it a problem...

I posted here about my hard disk having a problem, which end in formatting the hard disk. Now when the hard disk is formatted and everything is back again, I had this power problem...

Everytime I turn on my AVR, the PC will suddenly turn on and die down... which means the fan of the CPU would spin and there would lights on the power for a few seconds and then turn off... so its like a power fluctuation or something but it always happens everytime I turn on my PC...

So does anybody know what the problem is? Is there something wrong with the power setting, the power supply or something?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Does the PC just turn on then turn off right away? If so, there maybe two possiblities, one is there is a short somewhere in one of the connections. The other would be to just plug basic components and see if it will boot properly. The next possible thing is if you have a spare power supply try to run it and see if it boots properly. I will make a guess that is it possibly your power supply.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>>Does the PC just turn on then turn off right away?

yes

>>one is there is a short somewhere in one of the connections.

well I'll try to look into it but I think I didn't move or do anything with the plugs but I'll double check it

>>The next possible thing is if you have a spare power supply try to run it and see if it boots properly.

now thats something that I don't have...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Next suggestion would be just to run the most basic things and see if it still shuts off. Just plug stuff from the motherboard, and a hard drive and see if it boots up. If it will shut down, then it is most likely the power supply.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok... thanks Toshiro... others also suggested about replacing the power supply.. guess its time to shell out some cash...

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks PlayerX... will check that too since I have time to think of a remedy before I buy a power supply (last option) this sunday...

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
Player-X said:
maybe the back of your motherboard is shorting witht the Mobo plate, happened to me before
A little off-topic but doesn't this kill the mobo instantly? That's what i thought all these years.
And Quatro: did you already tried pluging just the mobo and the hd?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just to back up what Player-X said, ive done this a couple of times. a good way to check other than using tape (seems like a big waste of tape to me), take out the motherboard and PSU, and put them on a WOODEN desk. then you can use a screwdriver and carefully touch the 2 pins that is used for power to turn it on. Since the desk wont conduct electricity, theres no worry about shorts. i guess in theory, you can put it on anything that doesnt conduct electricity. Anyway, as for the origional problem, i think it might be the power supply.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sigh... guess I'll never run out of problem...

just this morning, when I boot the PC, nothing appear, my master and slave HDs and CDROM... if you have problem with your power supply, could there be a possibility that your HD won't show up? or will it be the IDE cable or mobo?

I haven't got time to do some inspection since I was running late to work and I'll be out since I have some company planning overnight so I'll be checking it the next day... any suggestion?

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well if it was the HD, then at least it would detect my other HD and CDROM but it doesn't detect those two at all...

next if it was the IDE cable, I tried pulling it and putting it back in its slots but during that time (2 days ago) nothing happen...

so later on, I'll be returning back home and I'll have to deal with the problem... in case, I'll be buying a power supply when I get some time before the weekend comes...

but then again, could my HD had been corrupted again??? :cry:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well, hard to say, just something to keep in mind, but the motherboard IDE channel, you might want to try the secondary channel if by chance it went to the grave. Not to sound pesimistic, but it is a potential possibility.

Also again try a simple setup and see if it boots up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.