Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im looking for a new graphics card but i cant seem to decide what one to get, i am looking at the HD4830, but the reviews are varied....lots, I will be using it for pc games but probably more for pcsx2, so can anyone recommend a graphics card for about the same price that doesnt do lots of cpu dumping because my cpu is pushed enough as it is to run ffx and ffxll.
my specs are as follows:
amd64 x2 [email protected] 3.21ghz
3 gigs of ram
8600 gt 512mb
M3N78-EM mobo

thanks in advance :)

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
Hey guys im looking for a new graphics card but i cant seem to decide what one to get, i am looking at the HD4830, but the reviews are varied....lots, I will be using it for pc games but probably more for pcsx2, so can anyone recommend a graphics card for about the same price that doesnt do lots of cpu dumping because my cpu is pushed enough as it is to run ffx and ffxll.
my specs are as follows:
amd64 x2 [email protected] 3.21ghz
3 gigs of ram
8600 gt 512mb
M3N78-EM mobo

thanks in advance :)

Your 8600gt should suffice for most pcsx2 games at 1024x1024 res in gsdx
if you want a cheap upgrade then a 9800gt should be a nice improvement

if you want to play high end pc games then an ATI 4850 or 4830 should be cool

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No my 8600gt is just really trash at running pcsx2 for some reason, all the settings are correct its just a bit weak, also does the 4830 do a lot of cpu dumping like the 4850?

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
No my 8600gt is just really trash at running pcsx2 for some reason, all the settings are correct its just a bit weak, also does the 4830 do a lot of cpu dumping like the 4850?
yeah, it does for now

I ran ffxii at 80+fps constantly (outside of that last hunt) with an 8600 btw

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow my 8600 barely runs ffxii it looks horrible and pixelated(lol cant spell) and gets about 20-30 fps,well then i gues ill look at a 9800gt then

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^Hmm yea looks like i might be getting an nvidia as i do emulation more than pc games, oh well its a shame as im a bit of an AMD fanboy lol....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i have done both of those already and still have the problems. Could it be due to the fact im using 0.9.4 as opposed to 0.9.5?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Your 8600gt should suffice for most pcsx2 games at 1024x1024 res in gsdx
if you want a cheap upgrade then a 9800gt should be a nice improvement

if you want to play high end pc games then an ATI 4850 or 4830 should be cool
If the GeForce 9800GT is a cheap upgrade, then don't call the Radeon HD4830 high end. The GeForce 9800GT is a cheap and good upgrade, but I'm just pointing out that your post makes it seem like they're on different levels. The two cards are roughly equivalent (except for the fact that the Radeon will be worse for PCSX2 when it dumps work to the CPU).
wow my 8600 barely runs ffxii it looks horrible and pixelated(lol cant spell) and gets about 20-30 fps,well then i gues ill look at a 9800gt then
Something else has to be wrong there. I know your CPU isn't as strong as mine, but it should run Final Fantasy X nicely, and my old GeForce 8600GTS was more than sufficient. It just couldn't do high levels of Anti-aliasing (2x or nothing was the only thing it could do with no speed loss, and it could do 4x at times, but not for the whole game with no impact), but it ran the game just fine.

I'd figure out what the problem is. A new card won't help that.

To answer your question though, a GeForce 8800GT/9800GT (they're the same exact card, literally, so go with the cheapest) would be a good cheap upgrade, with the GeForce GTX260 being a better one, but obviously much more expensive. The GeForce 9800GTX+ (make sure it's a plus version) fits between the two, and is roughly as powerful as the Radeon HD4850, minus the offloading of course. I didn't list ATi cards since you're concerned about the offloading they do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
8600 GT (especially the cheaper DDR2 version) is quite a bit weaker than 8600 GTS. I used to use a 8600 GT (GDDR3), and had to cut a few corners to run FFX. I'm now on a 9600 GT (just a little bit slower than 9800 GT, which is basically a rebranded 8800 GT), and it's much better. If you look hard enough, you can probably find a 9600 GT for ~$80.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts