Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, as you guess, I got a problem, it started months ago, but it gets worse
over the time. So, I have a 550W PSU (passive PFC) which is supposed to be
very silent. At the beginning, it was, and I must admit that still don't hear the
fans rotate... but the problem is this almost constant high-pitched noise,
kinda like a whistle, and after some browsing on google, I learnt that
it comes from the coil that micro-vibrates.

Is there any safe way to fix this? I don't want to RMA it, or buy another one.
And I don't really like the idea of opening the PSU myself :p

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>> Just get it fixed in a shop.

Cost? :p

>> PSU are usually off limits stuff.

What do you mean? (sorry, it's late and my english isn't perfect either :>)

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
He means that opening up the PSU yourself isn't something you should try. And he's right. :p

The 350W PSU I had that came with my case also made that noise. I got a new TT Silent PurePower just because of the noise. :p

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I see... I guess I'll have to live with it until the PSU blows :(

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
dunno, if it may work for you, but i used to have this very unusual problem and is that unless i overclocked my gpu it would give those wierd (and quite annoying) high pitch noises, never got to fix it, but overclocking my gu certainly stopped it

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weird, I heard that this sound is usually produced when the PSU has to deliver a lot of power. OCing should have made it even more annoying :s

Bad thing that I don't have a vacuum cleaner, though I doubt a lot that dust could be the problem. There's very little of it :I

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obviously :D

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
didnt seem so obvious the first time i did it -.-

edit: ok... that did sound just... wrong

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seemed abivous to me the first time I touched my PC case without wearing shoes. The metallic part of it is charged in electricity after some hours of use,
and it's shocking :p

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
Shadow Lady said:
dunno, if it may work for you, but i used to have this very unusual problem and is that unless i overclocked my gpu it would give those wierd (and quite annoying) high pitch noises, never got to fix it, but overclocking my gu certainly stopped it
Cool! A PSU that WANTS to be overclocked :D

I'm not sure about the cost, but it's always Standard Labor Price in your country + Cost of Components to be replaced.

You can probably safely vacuum the thing if you remove the PSU from the frame first, or yeah, spray with canned air. Opening it up for any other reason is just too darn risky w/o real background in it.

·
カラム
365 Posts
LilTone247 said:
im still wonderin, wats so dangerous about a PSU that isnt plugged in?
I second that.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
It is indeed still dangerous when not plugged in. Think of huge capacitors as batteries that have yet to be discharged. You can get quite a nasty (perhaps lethal) shock by accidentally discharging one of the large capacitors.

EDIT: Also, the only way a vacuum is going to be dangerous is if you're stupid enough to be using the floor-vac (the one with all the brushes on the carpet at high speeds... a static electricity generator). A vacuum hose is harmless.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.