Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nu...
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question to anyone who frequents the AnimeReactor Forums.
Is it just me or is there something weird going on with the message board? Searches always fail, and it doesn't seem to have been posted on since before christmas. Did they move recently and I'm seeing an old mirror? Or is it something else entirely.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Check out their IRC channel and anidb for more information.

And no, they haven't shut down.

What happen was they were applying an update to the forums, but the update patch messed up the whole board.

When they will be back is anybody's guess.

Ok,

as most of you have probably noticed :p
posting on this forum is currently broken.
unfortunatly I can't tell you when it will be fixed.
however gmni says he's working on it, so we'll just have to wait.

btw. editing posts is possible.

about the reasons.
we had to take the forums down a couple of weeks ago and update some software due to critical security flaws in the versions used so far.
however some of the custom modifications to this forum seem to be incompatible with the new software used and there are some major adjustments which need to be done to the forum software in order to make everything work again.
i can't tell you anything specific as this is gmni's domain and i have no idea what he's changing atm :p

BYe!
EXP

·
Registered
774 Posts
They keep saying it will be fixed soon, but it's already been a month with no apperant progress. How can they keep us waiting like this? It's too cruel. :cry:

·
Banned
118 Posts
It's really a matter of reinstalling Vbulletin or phpBB or IPB otr whatever they use. But perhaps they're trying to recover the Database, which wouldn't be too incredibly hard...I could do it if I wanted to, in less than an hour.

Anyway, if they just reinstalled the forums everything would be deleted, so be patient. If they haven't done it in a month, they're not coming back, probably because of loss of interest, or just lost all the FTP information.

As for the main site, if there is one, why would it go down? I don't get it, but whatever the problem is theres probably more to it than what they tell you.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
The animereactor database is massive. I'd guess that it were around the size of the NGEmu one.

> As for the main site, if there is one, why would it go down?

There is a site for it I suppose, but it's very rarely updated. All the action goes on in the forums.

>But perhaps they're trying to recover the Database, which wouldn't be too incredibly hard...I could do it if I wanted to, in less than an hour.

Then head over to the IRC channel and offer your services.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Well it's not that hard. If they're using MySQL, which they probably are, then all the database items are stored in a folder (Interpreted by a BB as a Database). It's hard to explain, so let me do so:

When you install MySQL and whatever on your webserver, it creates a driectory wherever you install it. If you go to that directory, there is another folder called "Data", and inside that folder are the Databases (AKA folders, remember?). I do not know the mechanics of operating MySQL, but it would make sense if you imported that Database into the one you are using now.

Of course, if you just tell it to use that database while installing, it will say that the database already in use (Because of all the data inside it, and it requires a new one to be used). But I theorize (Because I have not tried it) that you could just copy all the files within the Database (It's a folder, remember?) and paste them into a new Database, but not before installing the BB with that new Database.

Anyway, that may not make sense to you, but it probably would to anyone who knows how to install BB's and operate SQL Databases. I could be wrong, so thats why I won't go to the IRC channel (That and I'm lazy :p)

·
Registered
774 Posts
For those of you who haven't noticed yet, posting on animereactor is working again! :D I was getting a little worried that it would never come back after all that downtime.

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
__Xzyx987X said:
For those of you who haven't noticed yet, posting on animereactor is working again! :D I was getting a little worried that it would never come back after all that downtime.
Thanks for the heads up. It just took a year to get it back running again!

Time to click on the links!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts