Next Generation Emulation banner

13781 - 13800 of 13819 Posts

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,087 Posts
The first season of the continuation of Baki is on Netflix. I went through and really, they dumbed it down. I mean, at least the 2002 series was interesting because the characters relied on hand to hand techniques to win. It was ridiculously over the top, but it had suspense because you were wondering "what are they going to unleash for the next fight ?".

Here: they uses grenades, guns, everything they have under their hands to win the fights they are involved in, rendering them annoying, unfair and with no real suspense. It's utterly stupid. Also, the Baki love story is just a pain in the ass to follow. I don't think I'm going to like this one, and I have no real hope for the second season. Also...Where the heck is Hanma ?

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,825 Posts
It's weird but that's Baki for ya. The best part of the prisoners doing anything is the rest of the cast goes ".....aight it's a street fight so anything goes."

But it creates some great moments, Hanayama vs Spec is particularly good and silly.

Wife saw me scroll through it and say what's up with that mole? lol
Haven't watched it yet.
hahahahaha, that is awesome.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,087 Posts
It's weird but that's Baki for ya. The best part of the prisoners doing anything is the rest of the cast goes ".....aight it's a street fight so anything goes."
They shouldn't have introduced the "we can use any kind of weapon" rule IMO. I don't know if it is in the original manga, but it's not interesting. The hand to hand only techniques are so much more fun. For example, The poison hand technique by Yanagi is interesting, not because you know what it does, but because you don't know how Baki ( or the others ) will neutralize it. But a grenade or a simple gun ? What kind of mystery does it exhale ?

Moreover, It makes the protagonists looks like big cowards, and the martial arts totally secondary, the exact opposite of what was happening in the 2002 series.

·
7,825 Posts
It is interesting in how the martial artists respond to these rule free street fights, it's a common discussion when it comes to fighting how rules can inhibit some fighters whereas street fights anything can go. It's a cute debate, but Baki plays it up nicely in explaining these dudes mentality in how they come face to face with these situations.

Hanayama's fight is particularly damaging, but that is part of his persona. Doppo needs street fights since he's been in a Dojo most of his life and cannot compete with the likes of Yujiro, but seeing him grow with his street battle putting his karate and philosophy to the test is great.

The great thing about the show is that it still highlights how wonderful the discipline these martial artists have with their respective styles and there's a nice mix of how these styles are put to the test.

Doyle's son for instance seems like a died in the wool karate dojo practitioner and unable to break Doyle's resolve, despite destroying him over and over. His admittance that he's too soft leaves him defeated, but when finally submits, it's a great moment of realisation.

Hanayama is someone who is able to take a lot of punishment, a reflection of his quiet confidence and strength, but the cost of this toughness is now a mutilated visage and he now has to wear a mask. He is a winner, but at what cost.

I really like the prisoner arc as it offers a different approach to martial arts while still maintaining the silly nature of Baki. Yujiro giving his speech as Baki is about to get his is hilarious.

·
7,825 Posts
Dragon Ball Super-Broly-

Saw this bad boy last week and watched it again on youtube (lmao) and came away very happy.

The film is different from other Dragon Ball movies, generally the films form the 90's followed the basic premise of big bad needs to be stopped so how will Goku and friends stop him? End of story, high 5 your boys pour yourself another glass of chocolate milk and call it a night. Fun times for all.

Where Broly differs is the method of story telling, the film does have nice and long fight sequences that are fast paced, chaotic and intense, a visual treat and will get your adrenaline pumping. However, that is not the strength of the film and the barbarity of the fight not only functions as a visual feast, but to reinforce the machinations of Broly as a character.

To keep things as spoiler free as possible, this is a story that follows the untold story of Broly, from his origin on Planet Vegeta, to his reintroduction to society after being in isolation with his outcast father. It is a revenge story in premise, but moreso a story of abuse and sorrow, where we follow Broly's story as opposed to the traditional affairs of Goku and Vegeta.

It's a solid way to breathe life into Dragon Ball story telling, not only does it give far more weight to a newly revised character, but expands the world of Dragon Ball which only gives more strength to the characters, as opposed to more punching and screaming. Everything has a purpose and the movie flows far better as a result.

It still requires understanding of the history of the series, however the self contained story telling makes it very enjoyable for people new to the world of Dragon Ball. There's a lot of action, humour and a great story to boot.

The animation is without a doubt breathtaking at times. The new character designer has gone to great effort to create a more varied look at the titular heroes and has created a feast for the eyes. It is without a doubt the best looking Dragon Ball movie (right up there with Wrath of the Dragon and Fusion) and the new designs flow beautifully. For fans of animation, there is an enormous amount to love here.

I highly recommend it for anyone.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,598 Posts
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Cute and short , in more ways than one :p
Kind of liked this one, a bit of a change of pace from regular SAO (which I also like) with (at times) a bit of a twisted combination of cutesy + violence.

-

Also watched SOA the movie: Ordinal Scale, which was probably as good as the original series. Despite her having a setback, it was nice to see Asuna kicking ass again like in the old days.

-

Some people may "infamously" remember that I used to rate Accel World higher than SAO, but I've changed my opinion on that...

13781 - 13800 of 13819 Posts