Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I set up the old PIII computer (with a seagate 6gb hd 5400rpm with no buffer?). Then I installed Active Monitor. And it says my CPU fan is not working and the CPU temp is 50+ idle and almost 80 when loaded, but I thought it's just active monitor acting up oO
Today I changed the HD to an IBM deskstar (I thought it's dead, but it works now for some reason oO) and found a loose wire... dangling from the fan!! :eyemove:
Right now I have a fan from a PII attached to the heatsink, but the temperature is not much lower... around 50 idle and almost 70 on load. Any tip on how to lower the temperature more?

What I learned:
1) Intel Active Monitor works!!!!
2) PIII can run for two weeks (at least) without a fan.
3) PII can run for a year without the fan running... (dam PC Club didn't connect the wire) Found out when I cleaned the interior after warrenty expired.
3.5) PC CLUB SUCKS!!! ITS ON SALE STUFF IS ALWAYS OUT OF STOCK!!
4) It feels like my comp is top of the line now :D Running XP on a 5400rpm hd with no buffer is hellishly slow.... :rolleyes: can't believe I resisted changing the hd for so long...
5) IBM Deskstar 40gb goes on strike sometimes.

Thus concludes my longest post since I became a member 3 years ago :)

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Umm... your loose wire was just the sensor wire. Otherwise, your CPU wouldn't be working atm. Anything above a P133 needs a fan. Period.

It's really nothing that I'd get too worked up about - you don't need the sensor to be running to use the machine. You just won't get a fan warning when it dies (but your CPU temperature warning should go off pretty quick).

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a sensor wire (well, I'm not sure :p). It's the black one.
Anyway, the fan doesn't spin when the power's on. Maybe it's because it's the slower versions? My PII is 350mhz and PIII is 800 mhz.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.