Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Two questions, but first some context.

I want to play racing games on Windows (maybe Linux too) with any kind of controller that allows me to turn the steering wheel by a very small amount to either side. The first game that really made me pursuit this was NFS: Shift, because it's unplayable after a point with a keyboard.

First, I purchased a DualShock knockoff for very little, and I was surprised by how bad it was. Huge deadzone and saturates very quickly, which means I need to turn the analog stick by a good amount for the steering wheel in game to start to move, and the first movement is a huge turn from the center position; also, the steering wheel reaches the limit of movement before the analog stick is turned all the way in either direction.

In the game options, Steering Sensitivity 100% worked best for me. It was still a huge step up from using the keyboard, and I managed to get a lot farther in the game.

Then I lent this controller to someone and used the opportunity to buy an (allegedly) original DualShock 3. Same analog dynamics as the knockoff one. But, because I haven't tested any original PlayStation controller before, I don't know if it's supposed to be like that or if I inadvertently purchased another knockoff.

Then I got my hands on a certainly original Xbox One controller. This showed the dynamics I desired. The analog movement maps perfectly to the steering wheel. I can turn the steering wheel by very little and the limit of movement is the same between the analog stick and the steering wheel. I had to set Steering Sensitivity to 0%, though.

The first question is: is the DualShock 3 controller I purchased a knockoff due to its bad analog sticks?

The second question is: which console controllers have the same analog stick dynamics as those of the Xbox One controller?

I thought about purchasing a steering wheel controller, but I'm afraid it's going to have the same bad analog dynamics as the knockoff controller. If I find some place where I can test it first, then I'll do it.

Thanks in advance.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,428 Posts
Hmm... generally on PC the best for the kind of control you want i have to say that the Xbox One/One S controller is the best pick. Or at least from what i tried seems to do be the best pick. A DS4 has nice analogue controls as well, but it doesn't have the nice compatibility that the Xbox One controller has, it also makes a huge difference with what kind of wrapper your using it, for instance i don't like how its controls behave with Steam's built in support for the DS4, but with DS4Windows or game that support Dinput controllers its an awesome controller that doesn't loose to anything when compared to the XB1 controller (in some regards being better). The analogue controls between the two feel a bit different one of the major difference being that with the DS4 one you need to apply more force, but they are both top notch.

As for the DS3 you got (and the first question), either its a knockoff or the wrapper you used did not properly used the controller (i found things like Steam's support and Xbox360ce to be lacking).

Second question wise, i would say that the DS4, but if you don't want to hassle much and want to have no issues with troubleshooting and compatibility i would recommend the Xbox One controller, i guess you could make an argument for the 360 controller as well, but i found those personally risky buys, there are certain zones in the analogue movement where it could either be a dead zone, or not registering the movement fully, (many had issues with lower right for instance), and this is just a guess but hori might be a good choice as well, they make many good controllers using the X Input communication protocol, meaning that it will work with everything by default that the Xbox One controller works with.

As for the last question, i know that Trust has some racing wheels on the cheap with decent sensitivity, though that's not my area of expertise.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,428 Posts
I have to say i was byased towards the Xbox360 controller, sorry about that but its been quite some time till i last touched it, if you buy it from somewhere where you can easily return it or get it replaced you can try out that to, that is because if your unlucky you can end up getting a defective one (i was for instance in the past) but analogue wise it has its own unique feel, the xbox one analogues while good have little travel and offer no resistance at all, but the Xbox360 analogue offer some resistance and have much more travel, but you do have to test it to see if it properly works across all axes, or that there are no squealing triggers/analogue sticks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply! I couldn't find any Trust wheels where I live by the price I'm willing to play, but I think I'll take a look at those Xbox360 controllers. I might find them at a local store where I can return them if needed, though they may be more expensive than buying an Xbox One controller online...

I didn't replied earlier 'cause I didn't receive a notification email, even though my settings says I should receive them (and I just checked them).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,428 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I couldn't find any Trust wheels where I live by the price I'm willing to play, but I think I'll take a look at those Xbox360 controllers. I might find them at a local store where I can return them if needed, though they may be more expensive than buying an Xbox One controller online...

I didn't replied earlier 'cause I didn't receive a notification email, even though my settings says I should receive them (and I just checked them).
I recently got an wireless xbox 360 controller myself, and i gotta say they improved it a lot from the time i had my wired version (although it looks the same the buttons feel a lot better), i still recommend getting it from somewhere you can return it, i'm also surprised about the price, here its almost half the price of the Xbox one controller. Still if you can, try them both out, although with a short travel distance and no tactile feedback the xbox one controller analogue offers some very nice accuracy, but for me the 360 wireless controller is more usable due to the tactile feel of the analogue stick and the travel distance (well there's more but i'll keep to this since its your main focus), what might work better or feel better for me might not necessarily work nicely for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts