Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently purchased a "Game-Elements" Recoil controller by "Gemini" from Wal-Mart. This is a fairly generic PS "Dual Shock"-style gamepad, with the two sticks, shoulder buttons, force feedback, and the like. Installed the drivers just fine, tested it, and it seemed to be working. Then I assign all the buttons/sticks in ePSXe, and it also appeared fine. Then I tried to play a game (Chrono Cross), and this is the point where I run into trouble - the analog sticks wouldn't work. The D-pad and all the buttons worked perfectly, but the analog sticks (and force-feedback) were completely inoperative; the game was treating it like it was a standard old-style PS controller, or as a Dual Shock with the analog toggle off.

As far as I know, the controller works fine - after all, I was able to set all the buttons and axes in ePSXe. (I _did_ set the controller type to Digital/Analog, before anyone asks :) I even went through the bother of compiling the DirectX SDK FFConst demo to test the force feedback, since I didn't have any FF-compatible games handy (it was only bothersome because the code was broken and I had to tweak it to get it to work :p). Is there something else that needs to be done to get the game to register that it's hooked up to an analog/FF controller? Is this an ePSXe-in-general thing, or is it maybe something game-specific? I don't have any Dual Shock-compatible game images handy except for Chrono Cross, so I'm a bit in the dark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Whoops! I just noticed the "trouble configuring your gamepad" topic. Granted, I did manage to _configure_ the thing just fine... I'll check there first, I guess.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
so when you go to Calibrate in the XP control panel it shows the sticks to be fully functional, right?

press F5 in game, repeatedly, to see if it works. hey, it's worth a shot.

do the analog sticks work in any other program?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah! That worked. Sorta. The analog sticks work, except for the "analog" part - it only works after about half-tilt, and registers as full-tilt (i.e., it acts like the D-pad). Also, force feedback still doesn't work. Still, that's a huge improvement. Thanks!

I didn't know you needed to hit F5 in-game to change between pad types... :p

And yeah, the calibration shows it fully-functional.

·
Be The One
37 Posts
There should be a button between the sticks labeled Game Set or something like that (at least that's what mine says). Press that, it acts like the analog button on a PS1 controller.

-Errr, nevermind... seems I had this page open a little too long... But again I bought a Dual Shock by Logitech and the same thing happens. The left stick when pushed all the way registers as a half tilt. Beware of cheap products. You might want to take it back and exchange it for a new controller.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, when I calibrate/test via control panel, it works just fine. All the analog axes are fully functional. It's only in ePSXe that it doesn't live up to its full potential, so to speak. It actually seems like a pretty nice gamepad for $15.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mr. Accident said:
Ah! That worked. Sorta. The analog sticks work, except for the "analog" part - it only works after about half-tilt, and registers as full-tilt (i.e., it acts like the D-pad). Also, force feedback still doesn't work. Still, that's a huge improvement. Thanks!

I didn't know you needed to hit F5 in-game to change between pad types... :p

And yeah, the calibration shows it fully-functional.
I have the same problem - it only works after about half-tilt, and registers as full-tilt. Could this be solved? I have no problems with the force feedback besause my gamepad (mm-801) doesn't support it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts