1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two HDDs.

250GB Hitachi 8mb cache HDD

and a...

640GB Seagate Barracuda 32mb cache HDD

--
Here's the stitch:

My Vista partition is formatted on the Hitachi, however normally I will install games on the Seagate because of the 32mb cache and the overall speed and "newness" of it. The original intention was to partition the 640gb drive but well, I didn't have anything to back my things up on to do so, and I wasn't about to download a gig of software just to do so.

My question to you all is; Is it really giving me any benefit at all installing my games on my faster drive? I've considered the fact that it makes no difference because the game has to interact with the other drive because of the registry. Am I really any better off?

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
im in the same situation basically i have a 120gb for my vista and basically nothing else, then a 750gb samsung for all of my games. it "feels" like vista loads a lot faster, but that could just be a placebo effect. i might move things around all to one drive when i reformat for full windows 7.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
Games should be loading faster from the faster drive. Games that have registry entries generally look at the registry during startup and that's it.

You might want to look at which drive your page file is set to. If you have two or more drives, you should set it to the fastest or least used.

1.) Hold the Windows Key+Pause (or right click My Computer>Properties)
2.) Click the 'Advanced' tab.
3.) Under 'Performance' click 'Settings'.
4.) Under 'Virtual Memory' click 'change'.
5.) Disable the page file on your OS drive and enable it on your gaming drive. (since it's faster) Manually specify the size for the page file and being equal to or 1.5x the amount of RAM you have. Fill this in on both the minimum and maximum fields.
6.) You'll probably have to restart.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
In this case i wouldn't touch the pagefile.

why?

because havin the OS on one drive, games on anotherm and the pagefile on the games drive, it wouldn't benefit the games at all (having to read the games, and then write to the pagefile... yeah... no.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts