Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AmiDog's GPU Plugin by Mathias Roslund

This is a PSX GPU Plugin which focus on accuracy and simplicity. It uses the same software simulation as the GPU test program. The options are few:

Texture cache:
Enable emulation of the PSX GPU texture cache.​
Interlace half rate:
Refresh interlace as full frames, and not one field at a time.​
Progressive double scan:
Render each line twice to avoid black empty lines.​
Bright scanlines:
Render scanlines with half brightness instead of black.​
No scale:
Render centered unscaled image (=fast but small).​
Limit frame rate:
Limit the framerate to 50/60 frames per second.​
New GPU:
Emulate the new (v2) GPU as used in later (common) PSX models.​
Display type:
Select emulated display type. Affects visible resolution.​

Write to me at: maro [at] amidog [dot] se
Get latest version from: http://psx.amidog.se

History:

1.8 (2014-05-10):
Fixed VRAM masking.
Improved status emulation.
1.7 (2014-05-02):
Fixed overlapping VRAM moves.
Added IRQ emulation.
Improved status emulation (field, odd/even).
1.6 (2014-01-01):
Added display option.
1.5 (2013-12-31):
Texel cache fixes.
Cleanups.
1.4 (2013-09-07):
XY-flip (mirror) emulation (v2 only).
Fixed tpage bug.
Texture cache improvements.
Improved status emulation.
1.3 (2013-08-23):
Added emulation of new GPU version (v2).
1.2 (2013-07-01):
Optimized display code.
1.1 (2013-06-29):
Optimizations.
Handle 24-bit mode.
Use DirectDraw.
Bugfixes.
1.0 (2013-06-03):
First release.​

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Tools (here)
And this is quite interesting... specially that GPU test.

GPU Test
This is a GPU test program which will verify the rendering of all GPU primitives as well as some other aspects of the GPU. Once all tests has been run, the results of the tests will be shown, like in the screenshot below.

GPU Plugin
A GPU plugin for your favourite Playstation emulator. Uses the same software simulation as the GPU Test above.

Overscan
Here are examples of two (probably) unusual PSX resolutions, 720×576 15bit and 680×576 24bit (PAL interlace). This is accomplished by setting the PSX to display an image with 576 rows and then constantly updating the upper part of the image using DMA as the PSX has a hardcoded framebuffer of 1024×512 pixels. Luckily the RAMDAC wraps when reaching the bottom of the image, making it possible to show more than 512 lines.

Emerge
These examples will show the same pictures as above, but this time they will be slowly emerging from the center of the display. This effect is created by carefully modifying the display range and offset registers each field.

Resolution
A little program to test the different PSX resolutions. Usefull to figure out the maximum resolution a certain TV can show.

Misc Tests (here)
A few misc tests to make a plugin or emulator fail, or just crash.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
That's pretty awesome, glad to see plugins are still being worked on for the PSX scene! Will try out!

Edit: Uh, am I crazy or did I miss the dl link?

Edit 2: Found it! 2D games look mighty fantastic on here!

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Works fast, seems to be a good reference and has the tool to test other gpu plugins. :D

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Works fast, seems to be a good reference and has the tool to test other gpu plugins. :D
Definitely, and doesn't seem terribly taxing on the CPU either, I hope that eventually, the window size can be increased somewhat. A small nitpick of mine, I know, but I'd like it to be a little bigger :p

·
GameCube Player!
1,303 Posts
I tested this one, runs really nice and seems very accurate, awesome :)

after some testing:

scales very nicely
ff8 still has the garbage on battle effect screens ;) Some flashing in some spots in the game: FH start of the stairs descending downwards to the majors house... But these things are common in most plugins, hopefully there's a chance this will be improved :)

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@Genius_GZA : Nice, if you can make a report with details and screenshots try and send him an email since I doubt he'll see this thread.

(EDIT: Actually, post it here too so I can test my plugin too. :p)

@Monater : I don't think so.

·
Registered
174 Posts
@Genius_GZA : Nice, if you can make a report with details and screenshots try and send him an email since I doubt he'll see this thread.

(EDIT: Actually, post it here too so I can test my plugin too. :p)

@Monater : I don't think so.
What the hell is with PSX emulation and all of these closed source plugins at least you should make public repository with your plugin someday for the good of PSX emulation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
But going back to seriouss discussion what the hell is with PSX emulation and closed source plugins other consoles like N64 have emulators with open source plugins.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Do you think there will be options implemented to make the windowed mode a little bigger, so I don't have to use full screen all the time?

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dunno, at worst there could be something made like no$zoomer. Something to capture the output and display it in a new window.

maro [at] amidog [dot] se is not valid email address. Anyone has any other contact info ? Because I want to sent one to author.
No idea of any contact info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
maro [at] amidog [dot] se is not valid email address. Anyone has any other contact info ? Because I want to sent one to author.
Hint: Replace [at] with the at-symbol (@) and [dot] with a dot (.) and it'll work. I'm just trying to keep the amount of spam to a minimum...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tested this one, runs really nice and seems very accurate, awesome :)

after some testing:

scales very nicely
ff8 still has the garbage on battle effect screens ;) Some flashing in some spots in the game: FH start of the stairs descending downwards to the majors house... But these things are common in most plugins, hopefully there's a chance this will be improved :)
To the best of my knowledge, the plugin should be pixel perfect. I have over 1 GB of various dumps from real hardware as well as an extensive test suite to verify the emulation.

As for FF8, that's interesting. Might be a bug, or might be a timing issue. The current psemu plugin interface is frame based (and lack IRQ handling), which means that timing sensitive games may act up in various kind of ways.

Have a look at the Misc section of my wiki, there you can find various silly demos, created mainly to mess with current emulators. Most of those can't be emulated correctly by any plugin based emulator due to plugin interface limitations.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts