Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 7 70.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought we needed a new poll, the last thread is so 1 year old. Many people have probably switched sides so IMO, this is for the best.

Due to the monopoly and the ridiculously high prices of AMDs here, its looks like I'll be going with Intel yet again :p

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
OMG!!!!! Everyone's in on the action now.....:(:(:(:(:(

This could go on forever....

oops, forgot to vote....AGAIN......

·
band
4,912 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
Personally I'd be fine with that processor regardless. I've several Nehalem blades (HS22s) in the lab, but they're beta hardware :p

I'm more curious about how this will affect consumers such as yourselves, as in the server market, Nehalem will be huge regardless.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
For a country that's know to get up to 50 degrees Celcius+ that's pretty impressive...:D:D:D:D

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Then our friends here in Canada at "The Weather Network" must have lied....:(:(:(

In Manitoba here, we can do 44 degrees Celcius...

It's not too pleasant....:(:(:(

·
band
4,912 Posts
Realworld configurations please, not air conditioned review labs.
In my mind, the only way that your statement is relevant to the discussion is if you can clearly show that the test environment in this test was not representative of the typical consumer environment, and therefore most people will not achieve similar results.

I believe that to do so, you can do one of several :

1. Prove that the testing was done in a room cooled by an advanced air conditioning system that most people do not have (ie. the ones we typical use in a datacenter).
2. Show other testing done by other sources, in which they list their test environment in more meticulous detail so that we can ascertain that it fits the mould of most consumers' homes. Of course, the results need to prove your point that the i7 have unacceptable power consumption and temperature figures, keeping in mind its early status.
3. Show testing in an initially controlled, but afterwards uncontrolled test environment. For instance, each system tested separately in an initially identical room (starting at say 21 degrees celcius) with temperature over time graphs. Again, the results of course should be favourable to the point you are trying to make.

I kind of have my 'thinking cap' on, and I know when I do I have a cold 'tone', but please keep in mind that I am completely open-minded to wherever this discussion may lead :) Like I said, I have not been keeping myself up to date on i7/Nehalem in the consumer market so I'm definitely here to learn.

Sorry if I geeked anyone out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.