Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i just did something pretty stupid.
I ordered a AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.67Ghz socket A... thinking it was an Athlon XP.
Im not too fussed about the CPU but, the motherboard I ordered only says it supports the Athlon XP/ Athlon.
I cannot find a motherboard that says it supports the Sempron. Now, am i just getting confused or is the Sempron just the name of the core?!
The motherboard is MSI KM3M-V KM266 Socket A... would the cpu run fine or am i gona have to change cpu/motherboard?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
dont worry about it. semprons work in all Athlon XP capable machines, since that's what they are. it depends on what you got; look at the core. for example, i got a Sempron 2200+ (with a mobo for 50USD :D ) and it has a T-Bred core and is clocked at 1.5ghz. Everest says it's a T-bred 1700+.

and that's basically what they are. they have t-bred and thorton core Semprons, they are just rebranded/renamed Athlon XPs (for example now the 2500+ is 1.76 and the 2600+ is 1.83..they moved it slightly). the ones with the Paris core and socket 754 are a whole seperate matter, but you needn't be concerned with that.

so to answer your question: you're fine. the sempron will work perfectly in that motherboard.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Hold on, there are also Athlon 64 socket based Sempr0ns aren't there?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hushypushy,

thanks for the help. this processor should be enough as its only for a linux media center im building.
I read a little into the sempron so i can understand a little of what you said about the cores etc. Apparently the sempron is just a stripped down athlon xp to replace the duron.
Got a really nice price on the 2400+ so im happy all the way now.

oo, also will a uATX motherboard fit into a full ATX case?

I have never seen uATX before is this like flex or micro?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Apparently the sempron is just a stripped down athlon xp to replace the duron.
actually, it's simply a rebranded old Athlon XP. they dont have barton semprons, but they do have Thorton semprons (basically a barton with half cache) and Thoroughbred semprons. they are the same old t-breds and thortons, they just revised the "model number" (2500+, etc.) a bit.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
tookers said:
ah right i see. so all semprons (socket a) will be compatible with Athlon xp based motherboards?
yes, always. because a socket A sempron is simply a Socket A athlon XP. simple as that, just a new name slapped on it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
... ahhh, everythings arrived now. I walked in from work to 3 big packages. like christmas has come early.... gona get everything rigged up and then get my video server running.
Thanks for your help everyone :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts