Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I have a problem with my Athlon 64 3500+ processor, for 3 years I used it, the processor was detected as Athlon 64 3500+, sudden;y after 3 year I move it to another board (Biostar TF6100) and it still detected as Athlon 64, but when I change back to my old board (ECS NF4MA) it suddenly becomes AMD sempron 3500+, the worse case is, when I load BIOS in default mode, then save it, the PC become blank and cannot boot, so I bought a new board (Biostar TA690AM), it can run.. but still detected as Sempron 3500+, can anyone help me? thx

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Maybe there's an updated bios file available on their website? Sounds like it simply doesn't identify it correctly, it can't just take away some cache. I do hope it's able to address it. You may want to check with CPU-Z as well, if you haven't done so already.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Well, a CPU could be falsely identified if the motherboard BIOS is outdated or has a bug that messes with CPU detection. But a CPU being correctly identified and then after some time being incorrectly identified by the same motherboard without BIOS updates and such.. No, that's not possible. Either the BIOS is outdated and the CPU was never correctly identified as Athlon or the CPU is actually not an Athlon but a Sempron...

....there's actually another possibility. If the motherboard has what they call a "dual BIOS" then the BIOS that was detecting the CPU correctly got corrupt somehow and the system boots using the secondary BIOS. Well, if that second BIOS is older than the one originally used it can have problems detecting the CPU and it needs an update. :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Make sure that the processor is actually real Athlon 64. There is old news that some retailers are flashing motherboard BIOS to "incorrectly" recognize the processor so that they can sell it at high price.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Or maybe it's time for you to get with the program? Meaning it's time for an upgrade =)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the Sempron 3500+ is based off the Athlon 3500+, with a cut down l2 cache iirc.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so that's mean no solution? :( , I myself also surprise and it is very unbelievable, but I havent tried CPUZ yet, I think I try this one first, thx

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Seeing 1 cpu as the cpu its based off is usually because the bios lacks the cpu microcode,

However, its never really a problem just means you need to manually configure the FSB(where applicable), multiplier, and voltages.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's the problem, my BIOS set the FSB 200, actually how much is sempron 64 FSB? mine only can set between 200 to 300 :(

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Nope. No help. Anyway, thats a really bizarre problem. If CPU-Z says it's a Sempron 3500 and it uses an 800Mhz HT speed. You're mobo is 100% convinced it's a Sempron.

I suggest flashing your BIOS to the latest, if it's still a Sempron 3500+. More likely it's A REAL Sempron 3500. You might have been duped.

But if you aren't knowledgable in BIOS flashing, I suggest you don't flash your BIOS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts