Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a while ago , I found my PC getting too slow (well in the usuall ot's slow :) )

Well I found every thing works less fast than before in an obvious way .
Just now by coincidence when I switched the pc ON , I found that the processor is 333mhz ?!!

It was 500 mhz in speed before . AMD K6-2 500 MHZ . What can I do now , and what happened to my PC ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmm I don't know if there was bios cpu configuration back then, possibly on some motherboards. Wasn't on my Fic-VA503+ at least.

Did you check your bios settings? (usually invoked by pressing the delete button on your keyboard repeatedly after pushing the power (on) button on your computer)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Find out what motherboard you got, then go find a manual for it online...

Look at your boot screen, it should say almost at top like on this screen:
http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/p4306ht/biosboot4g.jpg

In the pic that computer has a "ASUS P4PE" motherboard, it says almost at top and at bottom.

Restart your computer and find out, you can use pause/break key on your keyboard to pause the bios startup, to continue booting just press return.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Sounds like the FSB somehow got knocked down to 66 MHz (K6-2 500's have a FSB of 100 MHz). Try going through all of the options in the BIOS until you find one that says something like FSB, Bus Speed, etc. If the multiplier is listed (5x with K6-2 500's) it should be in the same menu section. Once you find the option, set it to 100.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Um... don't SS7 boards use jumpers to set the FSB?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Not all of them do, I don't believe my PCChips M598 used jumpers but my non-functional Elpina board (VIA MVP3 chipset, clone of PCChips M577) has jumpers for the multiplier. Unless he was messing around with the motherboard I don't see how it would suddenly drop to a 66 MHz FSB if his board had jumpers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
yeh you have lowered the fsb......(maybe you did accidently by removing the small round battery from your mainboard) It will reset everything including your fsb. To raise your fsb again you have to access your bios. Dont think about formatting windows and all those kind of stuff. It wont help :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts