Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sword of the King™
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new video card a few days ago.I upgraded from GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB to Radeon 9550GE 128 MB and I have ePSXe .6 with all plugins somwhere on a CD.Now I ask myself, is it worth searching for ePSXe now and installing it again ? Am I going to see an improvement with the new card ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
yes, definately.

But why did you get that crappy card to begin with? Could have gotten a 9600 SE for the same price. :/

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
9550GE>9600SE.

The 9600SE is a crippled version of the same card (9550 is simply a lower clocked 9600, and can very easily be overclocked past 9600 levels anyway).. 64-bit memory bus as opposed to the 9550's 128-bit.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry but the 128MB version wich he bought only comes with 64Bit bus too and someone who purchases such cheap card is MOST probably not into overclocking. -.-

Anyway it doesnt really matter. Both cards are on the same (low end) level from my point of view. Still he should see some improvement from the GF2mx.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
An improvement?
I highly recommand that you return your card and obtain a 9600XT/FX 6x00 Series card to better see a GREATER improvement.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
:lol: why does every thread on hardware turn into this? it always goes off topic and it's a war. YOU KNOW WHAT FOR BEST VALUE GET A 6800 THEY ARE DOWN TO $200!!!

anyway to answer the question, yeah, pick up ePSXe. you can use OGL2 now :D oh by the way, dont get your old crap off a CD. it's way outdated ;) go to www.ngemu.com/psx for all your PSX needs ;) (and well, i guess get ePSXe or PSXeven or wahtever at their respective sites)

·
Sword of the King™
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hatman said:
Sorry but the 128MB version wich he bought only comes with 64Bit bus too and someone who purchases such cheap card is MOST probably not into overclocking. -.-

Anyway it doesnt really matter. Both cards are on the same (low end) level from my point of view. Still he should see some improvement from the GF2mx.
It's a 128-bit card, since it is the GE edition [Gamer Edition] and that comes with a 128-bit bus - not a 64-bit bus as the standard 9550 edition.

The card is very overclockable.I overclocked it from the standard 250 MHz GPU speed to 450 MHz with stock cooling and I overclocked the memory from 400 MHz to 500 MHz and I have no problems at all.It runs perfectly.So, I knew what I was buying and what I can get out of my card.

@ hushypushy

I have all the latest plugins and ePSXe 1.6.0 on that CD ... everything is up-to-date ... don't worry.

EDIT: I just noticed that Pete released some new plugins.I'll have to get them. Thanks for the link hushy

·
Banned
356 Posts
its an upgrade so go get some new epsxe fun off it.

The reason the 9550 is so easy to overclock is probably because of its design: A crippled 9600. THe potential is there you must unleash it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Excalibur said:
It's a 128-bit card, since it is the GE edition [Gamer Edition] and that comes with a 128-bit bus - not a 64-bit bus as the standard 9550 edition. At least from what i read on 3rd party sites.
The 128MB version runs with 64Bit. Only the 256MB one is 128Bit.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
Excalibur said:
EDIT: I just noticed that Pete released some new plugins.I'll have to get them. Thanks for the link hushy
that's exactly why i mentioned it ;) i guess i wasnt specific about it, but pete released some new plugins like last week :rolleyes:

·
Sword of the King™
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cooliscool said:
Where'd you hear that crock of ****?

http://www.asus.com/products/vga/a9550ge-td/overview.htm#

Asus is the only MFG of the 9550 with the GE name, and there's no 64-bit version.
That's the video card I have.

SMARTSHADER™ 2.0
SMOOTHVISION™ 2.1
HyperZ III﹢
VIDEOSHADER™ and FULLSTREAM™
Microsoft® DirectX 9 and OpenGL 1.5 support
128-bit Memory Interface
Thanks for the link cooliscool.

It's 128-bit Hatman

·
Registered
523 Posts
Alright, so ASUS has their own little toy again.... WHAT EVER. The "normal" 9550 without GE is 64Bit at 128MB.

And both cards are not worth buying. -.-

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Not necessarily. What kind of RAM to install is the manufacturers choice, the 9550 chip/pcb can address 128-bit or 64-bit RAM. Obviously cheaper 9550s will have 64-bit ram, but generally they don't.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,979 Posts
Hatman said:
Alright, so ASUS has their own little toy again.... WHAT EVER. The "normal" 9550 without GE is 64Bit at 128MB.
that's true but he said GE which makes it, to be honest, a completely different card, right? 128bit vs. 64 bit is a huge jump.... man, you were proved wrong by cooliscool and you still tried to defend yourself. just admit defeat. yeah, i agree the 9550 sucks. but to be honest, the 9550GE doesnt look too bad. arguing that the 9550 sucks is pointless when that's not what he has. while we're at it, let's talk about how the GeForce 5500s suck too, he doesnt have one, but we might as well keep talking about how they suck eh....

anyway that rampage was deviating, ironically, from my main point which is: this thread is way off topic.the question was, "is PSX emulation gonna be different with this card" and it's turned into "cooliscool making hatman shove his own foot in his mouth repeatedly". if there are no further on-topic discussions, please have this thread left alone or it will be closed ;)

·
Banned
356 Posts
what difference does it make wether or not the 9550 sucks? Its certainly atleast 10x faster than the best intel can offer and is a very good budget card as it is...
The only thing I have to criticize is the number 9550? Should be 9250...

·
Sword of the King™
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
culubalo said:
what difference does it make wether or not the 9550 sucks? Its certainly atleast 10x faster than the best intel can offer and is a very good budget card as it is...
The only thing I have to criticize is the number 9550? Should be 9250...
Actualy NO.It shouldn't be 9250.It's a cut-down version of the 9600Pro.But you can clock it to 9600 Pro speed with no problem.Only the memory is a bit slower, but if you get heatsinks for the ram you can clock it to original 9600Pro speeds.

·
Banned
356 Posts
oh but I thought the 9550 was more similar to the 9200 in terms of performance, and I thought that would go with features too.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Nope, it has a full DX9 feature set, while the 92xx is only DX8 compliant. Totally different cores.

·
Sword of the King™
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cooliscool said:
Nope, it has a full DX9 feature set, while the 92xx is only DX8 compliant. Totally different cores.
Exactly.The 9550 is based on the same GPU core [RV350] as the 9600.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.