Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do my games run so slow? They only run at 2-3 fps MAX with frame skip set to 9 and CPU speed to 150%. They are only 2D sprites, not 2D models so why is this? Anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks!

Comp specs.:

Inel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller

That's all I know how to find. If you need anything else, how would I find it on my comp.?:thumb:

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Any onboard VGA are below system requirement.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
What is your CPU?
I recommend buying a Core 2 + a Geforce 8800GT or higher.:) it is not expensive now.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Time to upgrade.:)

·
DesMuMe Bug Catcher
80 Posts
To be sure about your configuration use CPU-Z and GPU-Z. All informations stay there! :thumb:

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I think it's more that your processor is simply too slow. It's is not related to your graphics card although iDeaS does include some optimisations (mainly graphical though) which you will not have access to with an onboard graphics card.

no$gba is friendliest to old computers so you may want to use that rather although it too requires plenty of power so if it also runs too slow then that's simply the best your system can do.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Yeah, your computer is not powerful enough to run DS emulators at all.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's BS, I ran a few DS games at 30 FPS on a Pentium 2 computer with only 64MBs of Ram 2 months ago. I didn't play them since the sound was messed up tough. If I can get 30 FPS on a computer made in the 90s, you can probably do way better on yours. Especially better than 2-3 FPS.

I was playing in N$GBA myself.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not lying. But you don't have to believe me. The game I ran was Mega Man Battle Network 5 Double Team. Now the PSP can play DS games, even though it's complete crap(no touch screen, speed issues) So if the PSP can do it, with a 333MHz processor, why can't my 398 MHz processor do it. Plus the PSP has 32 MB RAM and I have 64. /It seemed like it worked with 32MB games only

You don't need a Core 2 to play this. The DS only has a 67 MHz and 33 MHz Arm processor. The standard rule is that you need a computer 8 times more powerful to emulate something accurately. My computer is about 12x more powerful than the Arm 7 and is 5.9(Might as well say 6) times more powerful than the Arm 9. Plus I had a Matrox
Millenium something graphic card.to help out. I didn't even get full FPS anyway.

The only way for me to prove it to you, is to lug out my old computer, reconnect it, then deal with it loading up for a few minutes, then connecting it to internet, then finding some video capture program(Screen capture won't be good since I can easily edit it if I were lying) that probably won't work since I have Windows 2000 which isn't supported much. It isn't like it's that hard to emulate something as weak as a DS. Back in the old days, people were running PlayStation emulators on weak ass pentiums. Like the VGS PS1 emulator. Hell it didn't even support Windows 2000 since everybody used 98. I can run Epsxe with the right plugins for weak computers. It's not pretty but it runs. The only difference is that with EPsxe you have to use the bios to help you out.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
I'm not lying. But you don't have to believe me. The game I ran was Mega Man Battle Network 5 Double Team. Now the PSP can play DS games, even though it's complete crap(no touch screen, speed issues) So if the PSP can do it, with a 333MHz processor, why can't my 398 MHz processor do it. Plus the PSP has 32 MB RAM and I have 64. /It seemed like it worked with 32MB games only

You don't need a Core 2 to play this. The DS only has a 67 MHz and 33 MHz Arm processor. The standard rule is that you need a computer 8 times more powerful to emulate something accurately. My computer is about 12x more powerful than the Arm 7 and is 5.9(Might as well say 6) times more powerful than the Arm 9. Plus I had a Matrox
Millenium something graphic card.to help out. I didn't even get full FPS anyway.

The only way for me to prove it to you, is to lug out my old computer, reconnect it, then deal with it loading up for a few minutes, then connecting it to internet, then finding some video capture program(Screen capture won't be good since I can easily edit it if I were lying) that probably won't work since I have Windows 2000 which isn't supported much. It isn't like it's that hard to emulate something as weak as a DS. Back in the old days, people were running PlayStation emulators on weak ass pentiums. Like the VGS PS1 emulator. Hell it didn't even support Windows 2000 since everybody used 98. I can run Epsxe with the right plugins for weak computers. It's not pretty but it runs. The only difference is that with EPsxe you have to use the bios to help you out.
Heh. I'm with Squall on this one.

You're one of those 'tards who thinks that CPUs of the same speed and different microarchitecture somehow are capable of running an emulated system at the same speed as the original hardware. My suggestion to you is to wise up or STFU because your lies aren't welcome here.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The 8x multiplication rule is only an approximation (not to mention it's usually 10x, which would be 1GHz to emulate the DS, as it's 99MHz on CPU alone), and for single emulated CPU machines. On multiple CPU machines (like the DS) the synchronization adds hell a lot of overhead, not to mention that the whole architecture of the DS makes it "a bit" (not as the PS2 or Saturn, but still) of hell to get emulated. As someone that has worked on emulators, and on the DS itself, I'd say that everything under 2 GHz is too low to get a full emulator running, on demmanding games. Make it 1.5 GHz on crappy games.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
So thus it is impossible, to run any DS game on a Pentium 2 (which lacks SSE, let alone SSE2) at 30 fps even using frame skipping.

****... i could only get 45fps on a 2.217 ghz Athlon3000.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Heh. I'm with Squall on this one.

You're one of those 'tards who thinks that CPUs of the same speed and different microarchitecture somehow are capable of running an emulated system at the same speed as the original hardware. My suggestion to you is to wise up or STFU because your lies aren't welcome here.
No, they aren't at the same speed. I said that my pentium 2 was at 398 MHz. and the DS is vastly lower than that, and I said that my system was able to emulate it(Even though it didn't do it well.) The fact that they are different architectures is tghe reason why my PC could barely do it.

But I see how you ignored how in the early days of PS1 emulation, people were playing it on Windows 98 compouters with old pentium computers and a couple mb of ram. I could show you an article that showed that VGS(one of the best ps emulators of it's time) had trouble running with 192 MB or more, and where it said that 128 MB RAM unites was best to use. That shows what range of computers it was dealing with.

Plus like I said the PSP can emulate the ds(even though it's not worth playing) The PSP and DS also have different architectures.

And I never told any one in this thread to STFU and I never insulted anyone. I did say that it was BS that a computer like that can't emulate a DS, but I never attacked anyone personally so get off your high horse.

So thus it is impossible, to run any DS game on a Pentium 2 (which lacks SSE, let alone SSE2) at 30 fps even using frame skipping.

****... i could only get 45fps on a 2.217 ghz Athlon3000.
Remember that I only played a 32 MB game and under. 64MB and above made the thing crash. And I only got to 50 in the menus of BN5. The emulator also only used 24bit colors for some reason. I don't know if it is supposed to do that are what.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
PSP emulates the DS at below 3-5 fps (proof shot1, proof shot2). Multiply that to get to 30fps, and you'd need 10 times a psp, that makes 3.3GHz.

Seriously, you barely know what's needed to emulate the DS, so avoid doing any judgment on the requirements, please :) Read my post above for more insight information about what you'd need, I know what I talk about as I've been involved as a coder on quite a few emulators myself.

·
Registered
436 Posts
But I'm really telling the truth here. My computer was able to emulate it.

If only there was a way to prove it. I know what I did, and I know what I saw. I have no reason for coming here lying.

And isn't the emulator on the psp not developed too well. There would be no reason to even try since theres no way whatsoever to us the touch screen effectively. No$GBA has been developed for since the days of the GBA.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Sure. I ran FFX on a Pentium 1 at 60 fps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts