Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes like 10 minutes for the demo to install on my machine.

I'm disappointed you can't zoom in all the way and see the people's faces.

I don't think you can even turn the camera around.

In the campaign you have to establish a trade route for your company.

You build trading posts along the road and burn down the rival company's trade posts.

Too bad the rival company sent its forces to beat me up! :(

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Why not? Just makes the game more realistic, any RTS now adays lets u zoom in to enjoy the action oO.

Anyway i think u forgot the screenshots.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,020 Posts
can we get some screenshots from someone not running on a geforce2 (no offense, but obviously thats not as good as it should look ;)), I'de really like to see the game in all its glory...I may download it, but its normally a week or 2 before i try the demo's because servers are so bogged.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Im not at home at now, but ASAP, ill post some screens.
I hope my GFX card please you....

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Well, just installed.
And yes, u can rotate the camera around, is in the options.
But as i tried to play campain, the sound was all cranckin to me, and all of a sudden the game crash a went back to win desktop.
Then i tried again, and after the little intro story, when u got to really play the game, i was with no sound at all!

EDIT: after i closed fraps, the sound was just ok, i played for like 5 min, then the sound stopped working...
I just hope the final doesnt have this bug :cuss2:

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Well the game is pretty buggy. You guys notice how some neutral units move with no animation and they're HP regens out of nothing xD kinda hard to claim treasures that way, i had no graphic / sound problems though. It ran pretty damn well, altough AA doesnt seem to work. Well i kinda enjoyed the game, the trade routes and card system are interesting, something new for a change so thats good. Everything else is just like a standard RTS. Graphics arent all that good btw, that gloom effect just hides all the ugly stuff :p.

Here are some shots, taken at 1600x1200*32 Bit but resized to 1280*960 with 16AF (no AA couse it didnt work):

Btw i tried to get a shot of all the units in the demo. Some are missing though.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Am I the only one that feels that those effects are over-used?

/gets sunglasses

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Yep they are, but the game looks like crap without it. xD

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to chance to try out the skirmish mode.

Fans of the Ages of Empires series will happy to know that not much has changed for this third instalment. You have a town center, you collect resources, and you build up your army.

The city gives you resources (wood, food & men) when your timer fills up so you never run out of resources.

There are guardians protecting treasure, which reminds me of Warcraft III creeps.

I find that the pace of the game is mind numbing slow -- almost boring.

While the terrain and buildings look fantastic, the character models and animation are terrible.

The character models are low polycount - you can barely tell their features.

When I trained the priest, the priest looked like he was impaled with a stick!

When the villagers are creating a building the saw that they were using looks like a long sword.

The battle animation is dull, there’s no sense of an epic battle.

The battle engine does need tweaking. I was fighting two units; one of the enemy dies and my men stopped firing on the other enemy unit. I had to baby sit my units to make sure they would fight correctly. The also enemy A.I. cheats, they create the buildings faster than I can destroy them.

I have played the RTS game Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, where I can zoom in right close to the character’s skin. I have seen a Space Marine Dreadnought rip apart an Ork with such violent detail – that I know how good a RTS game can get.

Nonetheless the final release of Ages of Empires III is still months away so there is much room for improvements.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
the graphics are compressed in the demo i believe. So, they arent as good as they will be when game is released.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
I really hope they fix all the problems, gonna try again a few more times, no the skirmish mode...

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
RZetlin said:
I had to chance to try out the skirmish mode.

Fans of the Ages of Empires series will happy to know that not much has changed for this third instalment. You have a town center, you collect resources, and you build up your army.

The city gives you resources (wood, food & men) when your timer fills up so you never run out of resources.

There are guardians protecting treasure, which reminds me of Warcraft III creeps.

I find that the pace of the game is mind numbing slow -- almost boring.

While the terrain and buildings look fantastic, the character models and animation are terrible.

The character models are low polycount - you can barely tell their features.

When I trained the priest, the priest looked like he was impaled with a stick!

When the villagers are creating a building the saw that they were using looks like a long sword.

The battle animation is dull, there’s no sense of an epic battle.

The battle engine does need tweaking. I was fighting two units; one of the enemy dies and my men stopped firing on the other enemy unit. I had to baby sit my units to make sure they would fight correctly. The also enemy A.I. cheats, they create the buildings faster than I can destroy them.

I have played the RTS game Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, where I can zoom in right close to the character’s skin. I have seen a Space Marine Dreadnought rip apart an Ork with such violent detail – that I know how good a RTS game can get.

Nonetheless the final release of Ages of Empires III is still months away so there is much room for improvements.
It's not a timer. It fills as you gain XP. Also, the game is called Age of Empires (no S).

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
I really dont understand that thing to send resources....

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
good graphics, tried campaign on hardest mode and damn the cpu just kept whipping me out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.