Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'd like to have some of ur opinions about the "age-videogames" matter.
I've always loved shiny colorful games, such as Sonic, Super Mario and all those kind of games with..well let's say a nice atmosphere. I'm 26 and, unfortunately, I can't enjoy them anymore as I did as a child and teen. Some people say that there's an age for everything, some others think that games don't meet this statement and so they cannot be compared with cartoons, which adults usually don't have much of an interest in watching, except from more serious cartoons like, for instance, The Simpsons.
I remember the time in which i couldn't wait to turn the Nes on and play or in the 32-bit era, the Ps1. The thing is that I think I've lost that sense of wonder that videogames used to give me, so it's sad that I feel like wanting to play, but when I start, even after some minutes I feel like not interested in going on with the game and so i turn the consolle off, or "esc to windows" if i'm playing with the Pc.
Has someone else experienced or is experiencing this videoludic apathy?

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Yup. It's just us outgrowing it.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
I still enjoy the occasional cartoon, albeit sometimes stupid. Normally the only cartoons I watch are the ones I watched when I enjoyed them, like Ren and Stimpy or Dexter's Lab or hell Looney Tunes is still hilarious to me.

I just don't like new things. I enjoy slapstick humor and the glamour of a fresh platformer but I think the world in general is getting a massive dumbing-down.

This morning I watched Tom and Jerry on Cartoon Network, which is the oldest show they air to date, which is sad. We're loosing our cartoon heritages to flash animated bullcrap. I noticed many things.

Guns, cigarettes, and violence was littered throughout the entire thing, and none of it felt... suggestive or put-on.

I don't think its the cartoon-esuqe antics of these years, I just think that all the good writers got either fired or kicked the bucket.

I still like Pokemon games, though.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
same here. i really dont have the time for games. im playing ff12, and i have to play it in chunks......unlike the rest of rpgs, were i nearly played them strait

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Yeah 4 years ago i would have played straight through a game like metal gear solid, 5 hours a day. Now days I can't get myself to sit through 2 hour spans and filling a game
:cry:

*composes self, straightens tie*

Well maybe there are exception. Fallout 3, Team Fortress 2, abnd Ngemu 3.0: Virtual life game.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Sometimes you just get over a certain type of game, I know for me I dont really have the time anymore to get into games and enjoy them as much as I use to (Having a Girlfriend and a job eats your time).

·
잠꾸러기
73 Posts
Lately, games haven't been so fun. Everything seems unoriginal and gameplay is like a repeat of the older games, just couple new features. Eh. Last game that I've had fun playing was Bioshock. :cry:

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
New games suck

anyone up for multiplayer Eduke32 or OpenTTD?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still enjoy the occasional cartoon, albeit sometimes stupid. Normally the only cartoons I watch are the ones I watched when I enjoyed them, like Ren and Stimpy or Dexter's Lab or hell Looney Tunes is still hilarious to me.

I just don't like new things. I enjoy slapstick humor and the glamour of a fresh platformer but I think the world in general is getting a massive dumbing-down.

This morning I watched Tom and Jerry on Cartoon Network, which is the oldest show they air to date, which is sad. We're loosing our cartoon heritages to flash animated bullcrap. I noticed many things.

Guns, cigarettes, and violence was littered throughout the entire thing, and none of it felt... suggestive or put-on.

I don't think its the cartoon-esuqe antics of these years, I just think that all the good writers got either fired or kicked the bucket.

I still like Pokemon games, though.
Sorry if I'm indescreet, but how old are you? I'm asking, because if you can still enjoy cartoons, I really do envy you!! I only live with those good memories and nostalgia of the good old days..*sighs*
And indeed nowadays videogames focus more on violence, I mean there were also violent games 20 years ago, but somehow the old graphics made them look much more..harmless. But I believe nowadays children/teens wouldn't be able to understand that and just enjoy what the videoludic experience offers them.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Sometimes you just get over a certain type of game, I know for me I dont really have the time anymore to get into games and enjoy them as much as I use to (Having a Girlfriend and a job eats your time).
Yeah. I'm currently trying to play Devil May Cry, and I think my average is completing 1 mission every three days.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
New games suck
I agree and most of them have the same theme with new system requirements.
I don't even feel like turning on my computer and endure a new game.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I certainly haven't grown out any of the classics. I still love games like Mario and Sonic and still play them very often (I'm working on a game of Sonic 3 and Knuckles right now actually). Hell, I'd still prefer to pop in a SNES game than play a 360 or something.

But I have noticed that I don't have as much interest in RPGs as I used to. I used to be nuts for them and play through like two or three of them a year. I guess nowadays I don't have time for them, RPGs are a bit of a commitment.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Well, I don't know about videogame apathy but the video games have become worse and worse over the years... I still enjoy many old games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI-IX, Diablo II... But then I look at the newer games like Oblivion and Bazillion Lord of the rings milking games and it makes my gamer heart cry blood...

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
The Battle for Middle Earth II was a really good game, or so I thought.

I can still play old games and appreciate them, but obviously, it loses some of it's nostalgic value.

As for cartoons, I still watch them, or should I say can, since it's not regularly or anything that I do, but I certainly can and enjoy them as much as ever if I wanted to (I'll be 24 in a little under a month).

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Hell I have to make real efforts gathering courage to start playing a new game, whatever the game's genre is. I don't feel like playing no more, but there's nothing better to do, so I play anyway.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
The Battle for Middle Earth II was a really good game, or so I thought.
Exception that defines the rule!:rolleyes: Besides the damn camera was WAY too close the battlefield...

As for cartoons, I still watch them, or should I say can, since it's not regularly or anything that I do, but I certainly can and enjoy them as much as ever if I wanted to (I'll be 24 in a little under a month).
Old cartoons? They're very good for laughs!:lol: Though the old turtles from the 90's are epic!:D

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Well the main thing that's stopping me from enjoying my games recently is that I am scared of finnishing them too quickly XD, so I take my time and screw around and end up with this really strange sensation of wanting to play the game, wanting to finnish it and being bored with it XD

I would not really say one outgrows anything really, it depends on exposure, with enough exposure to something you break it down till you're just left with the skeleton, the basic mechanics. It's boring because you can't improve the experience just re and re-experience it. A new game seems new at first, but you quickly see it follow the same mechanics and get bored with it, unless it does something radically different, which is very very rare.
I for instance love board games, but I hardly play them anymore, all I still see when I play the games are the mechanics and then the uncontrollable fun-ruining luck element.

If for instance you were 50 and had never played a game in your life or never watched a cartoon in your life and then got into it then I am sure you would get just about the same enjoyment as a 10 year old out of it and be just as hooked for 10-20 years.

In the same way your 20th FPS will be more fun than your 50th or your 100th.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Damn I have a problem with finishing games. Whenever I feel the game is coming to an end I start losing interest in it. It's really weird.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I certainly haven't grown out any of the classics. I still love games like Mario and Sonic and still play them very often (I'm working on a game of Sonic 3 and Knuckles right now actually). Hell, I'd still prefer to pop in a SNES game than play a 360 or something.

But I have noticed that I don't have as much interest in RPGs as I used to. I used to be nuts for them and play through like two or three of them a year. I guess nowadays I don't have time for them, RPGs are a bit of a commitment.
That's nice, the child that's in you is still alive. You're lucky!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts