Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for an ADX player (used a lot in Dreamcast games but on other platforms as well) for Windows;
I already found a winamp plugin that works fairly well,
at http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=144845

It doesn't support the ADX loop function, however.
Now, word goes there's a player called Cinepak (or Cinepack) that does
everything correctly; problem is, it seems it's nowhere to be found.

If anyone could find this player, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Cinepak is a codec not a player

Cinepak
One of the oldest codec around is Cinepak. Cinepak was developed by Radius and are recognized by Microsoft's Media player and Apple's Quicktime player. Compressing the video tends to be slower than other codecs and playback the video file will work well for older computers. The positive thing about Cineplex is that it will run fine on any older computer such as 486 so are the new Pentium computers. Filesize tends to be abit larger compare to Sorenson but the video quality is okay. If you want your video work to run well in every computer, use Cinepak but dont expect excellent video quality. The filename extension are .mov and .avi.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Cinepak was the video format used in many Saturn games, and the "cinepack.exe" player was initially a cpk player. It also has support for CAK files (dunno what are those) and ADX as well as ACX (a variant of adx).

The original page is here.
http://home.interlink.or.jp/~lcm/Lib/room1.html

CP100B26.LZH is the file you are looking for. It became the de facto standard for ADX players simply because it supports every variant of the format including looping, multi-adx files, and acx too.

The other tools there include a multi ADX splitter (CUTADX01.LZH), which will cut up adx files that have multiple songs in them. Cinepack will play all of them regardless, though.
DC_MPEG.LZH is a useful SFD to mpg converter to use with games using the CRI Sofdec video format (which is just a software mpeg playback bundle, but its middleware and is rather widespread especially for Dreamcast and other SEGA games).
MPLAYER.LZH is another ADX player, it's less hassle to set up then Cinepack and i found it to work simpler & better, however it does not support ADX files which contain multiple songs (which Cinepack can do if you enable the Header analysis, or alternatively you can use the above adx splitter, but its simpler to just use cinepack). This one however can open and play AFS files directly, which is a very handy feature.

Or I could recommend Foobar 2000 which is a media player with support for nearly everything audio related that exists, and that includes a basic, easy to use, non-hassle adx plugin. It can't play ACX but its doubtful you'll ever encounter those. The ADX plugin for foobar 2000 is as high standard as any other plugin for the player or as the core player itself, so you won't ever go wrong with it - and even if you do you can ask at the support forum, they usually fix bugs in even minutes.

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
cinepak converts to wave just fine, but for some reason it plays back the files all wrong here; this might be related to the sound driver I'm using (KX driver on a SBLive).

Foobar works really nice; it reminds me of the earlier days of winamp, when it wasn't so bloated like it is now.
I tried a Foorbar beta but it seemed a little buggy on (ADX?) repeating, so I'm using 0.8.3 now, which works fine (minus the looping part). I guess that'll have to do for now ;)
Anyway, thanks again :)

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Looping works as fine as it can in Foobar, if you are getting a small skip when the looping hits in, its normal. It may happen or may not. Cinepack does it too.

Whats the problem with Cinepack? the KX driver shouldnt mess it up.

(foobar is programmed by a former Winamp dev by the way)

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Borisz said:
Looping works as fine as it can in Foobar, if you are getting a small skip when the looping hits in, its normal. It may happen or may not. Cinepack does it too.
no, I mean that foobar (beta) crashes when repeating. don't know why it does that.

Whats the problem with Cinepack? the KX driver shouldnt mess it up.
I don't know, it plays back all wrong, sounds like it's not playing back everything. When I use its convert option, everything works just fine.
I guess I'd better try it on a different computer as well.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Samor said:
no, I mean that foobar (beta) crashes when repeating. don't know why it does that.
Report it at Hydrogenaudio.

I don't know, it plays back all wrong, sounds like it's not playing back everything. When I use its convert option, everything works just fine.
I guess I'd better try it on a different computer as well.
Try this and mess with the options:
http://web.axelero.hu/fka2636/adxplay_english.rar
or use the MPLAYER.lzh from the above site, it works simpler.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Samor, can you explain me how this works? Would it be possible for me to insert a backup disc in my pc and play the music from it? That would be great because I still want to get the whole soundtracks from Shenmue 1 & 2 and Baldr Force :)

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
indeed, that works. You can play ADX files directly from a backup DC disc; the format is not just used on DC, for examply my original Sonic Gems Collection (PS2) and Sonic Heroes (PC) also use the format.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi, came across this thread while searching for any info on Sofdec, just wanted to point out that there's a Winamp plugin that plays ADX with looping, including the new header format as seen in Shadow the Hedgehog and the Gamecube Bleach game, which Cinepack doesn't loop right.

It's called in_cube, and it has support for a few other formats used for Gamecube games as well.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the information, I will check it out soon :)

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hcs said:
Hi, came across this thread while searching for any info on Sofdec, just wanted to point out that there's a Winamp plugin that plays ADX with looping, including the new header format as seen in Shadow the Hedgehog and the Gamecube Bleach game, which Cinepack doesn't loop right.

It's called in_cube, and it has support for a few other formats used for Gamecube games as well.
wow, that one works really well :)
Thanks a lot!

only thing that still doesn't run properly is the jet set radio music; it uses multiple ADX files; I think it combines them using AFS files, but I think there's only one (winamp) plugin that seems to support those; too bad it isn't compatible with many adx files.....

· Registered
28 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean about Jet Set Radio, I have the ADX files from it and they seem to work well. You can unpack the ADXs from an AFS using afs2adx (which can be found here http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_utils_audio.shtml)
Also, in case it wasn't clear before, this is my plugin, so if you can give me some more details about the issue I might be able to get it working. Also, could you point me to an ADX player that plays them as you think they should sound?

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm sorry, I just tried that old plugin and it was a matter of bad memory, I guess.... it doesn't seem to do anything that your plugin doesn't do better.

Thanks for the AFS unpacking tip, btw :)

Oh, btw, I did notice that the ADX files in Raiden 3 (PS2) do not play; could be a different format, though....

· Back to regular business
3,317 Posts
I just stumbled over this thread. Your plugin is really awesome! I tried it with some Xenosaga 2 music (the battle tracks and a few more are stored in this format) and it works perfectly.

I'd like to make a few feature requests (only if possible):

- Could you propably add an option to activate/deactivate streams in ADX files? That would be cool for games like REZ which mix their music from ten or more streams.
- Would it be possible to - say - edit the ADX files a bit to store some tag information?
- Could you maybe add support for Sofdec .sfd movies? As far as I know the video stream is standard MPEG-2 and the audio is ADX format

· Registered
28 Posts
in_cube at the moment will only play ADXs with one or two streams as mono or stereo. I suppose that option could be added. I don't have any > 2 stream files on hand to test, though...
Editing the files is out of the question. in_cube is intended for use with unmodified files, and I am reluctant to even require renaming them (which is unforunately necessary in some cases) There is a proposal in the works for a metadata file to be used with streamed audio, which would use PSF tagging, perhaps this will happen some day. It is a bit too ambitious for me right now, though.
As for sfd, bero has a program called sfd2mpg which will extract the video and audio streams.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/2004/
I might be adding support for sfd to adxtract (my program to get ADXs from any archive), but for now sfd2mpg is your best option.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.