Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The King of All Kings.
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you may know,i have a very slow computer.
and i was woundering of a way to make it faster besides adding new ram.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Hmm, well there is always the OS. You can clean up temporary files and defrag your HDD. There is also Freeing Resources. ;) Other than that there isn't much you can do. If it is getting really slow even after that it's time to upgrade. You'll have to one day.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, what are your comp specs and what OS are you running? Their is only so much you can do to increase a comp's speed without improving its hardware.
Do what Razor said and running a spyware scan using adaware would also do some good if you dont do that.

·
The King of All Kings.
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i run sybot and adware,plus clean my hardrive.
here's my specs.
if you somehow kill yourself by laughing at the following picture,its on you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Getting a new hard-drive can help out. RAM is the cheapest way to go unless you have a really old processor that can be upgraded cheaply. And if your running windows 98 I don't believe it recongnizes over 128MB or 256MB, but I could be wrong since I stopped using 98 and never had more then 128. You should def post your specs and your/your parents credit card number.

(It was a longshot, I know)

edit. Your fast, yeah def more RAM :thumb: but find out your Motherboard so we can see if you can get a new processor. And you should really look at getting a new hard-drive, A system that old and bare-bones probably has something very slow.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well for one, running themes on your computer will slow it down dramatically, and even though Windows XP is a great OS, It really doesn't run well on anything under 1Ghz and ~256mb Ram. Windows 98SE or Windows 2000/NT would be better bets for having a faster system. ;)

>>And if your running windows 98 I don't believe it recongnizes over 128MB or 256MB

It recognizes those numbers. I had 192 and it recognized that.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
That's your problem right there my friend. The processor is seriously fine for running Windows XP. I ran XP Pro on a 300Mhz Celeron overclocked to 450 and it was smooth as butter and quick as a whip.

However!! Your lack of RAM is killing your system. Try to get at least 256 or at the very least 128. You'll notice a HUGE difference. Otherwise try Windows 2000 or Windows NT or 98.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Err, don't knoe exactly who your talking to but No Problem :p Glad to help.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
No problem my friend, we were all glad to help. :D

I work with computers all the time seeing what configurations work good and which don't. I'm totally into max performance with hardware and operating systems.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can also set windows to run for best performance under control panel/system/advanced tab/settings for performance, select adjust for best performance. It will disable your theme though and set it to look much like win 98.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It also disables shadows and font smoothing, but it does free up some memory.

·
B( o Y o )BS!
895 Posts
Disable the themes, disable the wallpaper, use smaller icons, reduce the color depth/resolution, close/uninstall any unneeded programs (and drivers), clean your HD & defrag it. If that doesn't help enough, try with an 'older' OS, and if also that is not enough, then it's time to buy better hardware.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I think our friend's best hope here is more RAM or an older OS. Even Windows 2000 will not leave much RAM on a 64Mb system.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not sure how much memory WinXP uses compared to win2k but with all the extra stuff I'm thinking it is more at least (I'm a win2k freak myself, even though I have 512meg ram). If you don't want to switch you should at least disable as many services as possible, use blackvipers guide:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

If you click on any of the services in his guide you'll get a more detailed explanation.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Once the few extra services are disabled, Windows XP uses more or less the same amount of RAM Windows 2000 does on my system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts