Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried every Bios Avaliable for the Voodoo5 Cards, 1.06 1.15, 1.16, 1.18 and guess who... No one helps for frame rate except for the retail one (1.06) it give to me good frame rate, the rest... bad frame rate, if you're thinking in flash your voodoo card, is not worth of it, some people reported that that modified bioses had agressive vram timing that could damage your video card. Also u can damage your EEPROM chip flashing it, I heard about 5 people with v5 cards dead for this reason, I flashed my card over 10 times, but trust me is no worth of it....

·
Registered
75 Posts
First, be sure to use Lewpy video plugin, it's optimized for glide, the native API for the Voodoo 3 and 5 videoboards.Don't use OPENGL or DirectX plugins.
About the BIOS, I use 1001 BIOS image and my Voodoo5 works great with it. Now, being from Canada It is a bIOS fot NTSC standard and I don't know if Colombia is NTSC or PAL ( I know Brazil is PAL).
I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Biased turkey
First, be sure to use Lewpy video plugin, it's optimized for glide, the native API for the Voodoo 3 and 5 videoboards.Don't use OPENGL or DirectX plugins.
About the BIOS, I use 1001 BIOS image and my Voodoo5 works great with it. Now, being from Canada It is a bIOS fot NTSC standard and I don't know if Colombia is NTSC or PAL ( I know Brazil is PAL).
I hope this helps
I think not :D
(spam sorry heh)

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
he is talking about the voodoo 5 bios not psx bios...... I have been using voodoo 5 bios 1.16 and it works great so far.... the bios 1.06 was a little unstable for me so I upgraded the bios to 1.16 and stability was better.... Haven't really noticed any more speeds though....

·
Registered
538 Posts
I flashed to 1.16 on my AGP Voodoo5 and didn't notice much difference .... EXCEPT it screwed up VESA support under DOS :(
I know I am "Olde Skool" and still run stuff under real-mode DOS, so this doesn't effect 99.999% of people out there, but it was annoying :)
v1.15 on my PCI Voodoo5 supports VESA fine, however :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
talking about facts... I lose about 3fps playing GranTurismo with 1.15 Bios (the latest AGP bios know for V5 5500 AGP)... 60/60 with 1.06...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Apology for the confusion.
If your post is about the V5 BIOS, I'm afraid I can't help.As a matter of fact the only time I tried to flash a BIOS on a peripheral board was when I screwed up the BIOS of my Promise ATA66 controller.Since I only flash my motherboard bios.
But it's good to know there are stil some brave souls these days who dare to flash a bios on peripheral boards.
:emb:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've noticed absolutely no difference between the bios options out there. Of course, I didn't try running anything in dos when I had the newer bios installed, but I certainly didn't see any change in framerate.

What dos games do you tend to play, Lewpy? I've had an itch for playing some old stuff, but I've been unable to scratch it. I've got tons of old stuff, but I can never think of any of it when I get that itch.

And on that note, have you ever tried playing Master of Magic via email?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't play DOS games. I tend to kick back to DOS for "scene" demos and some of my own VESA code programs ... just to reminisce :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
That reminds me. I need to stick my SB16 back in my machine. Demos tend to dislike the Live's SB16 emulation garbage.

I feel like watching Stars (NoooN). Note, I leached the hell out of /pub/demos on cdrom.com a long time ago.

On that note, whatever happened to the video card that a few of the guys from Future Crew were supposed to be working on? Was it ever released and I just missed it, or did it go poof?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I still have a GUS PnP in my system, just for demos ;)
Nooon - STARS: Wonders of the world .... know it well :) I actually ripped the music from the demo, and converted it {faithfully} into a playable format, and then eventually released it because it rocked.
Well, Future Crew went off an formed/joined two companies, which are now known as Bitboys Oi and Remedy Entertainment/MadOnion.Com ;)
So, the original 3D chip they worked on was the ill-fated Pyramid3D, and now they are working on Glaze3D ... will we ever see that?!?!?
A lot of the staff at Remedy/MadOnion are ex-scene people.
Statix (of UK group Psychic Link, and various solo projects) joined LionHead, and worked on Black & White. He is one of my favourite coders :)
Even my colleague Moopy went off and joined Bizarre Creations, and was lead coder for "Fur Fighters" :)
Demo people tend to end up writting games for a living ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Would it be possible for me to ask for these BIOS'? I might purchase a V5 (instead of a GF2MX PCI) if you could link me. The only one I can get right now is a Mac DVI, plus they're cheaper for some reason.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You ripped the Stars music?! GIVE! I sooooo want that music. Pleasepleaseplease, and other types of begging.

Sad part about all those demos is that I can't remember half of the ones I used to enjoy. Sure, I can hum some of the music or see images in my head, but the names evade me.

I still plan on building a little p60 or p90 machine just for demos. However, unless I can find a place that still sells some form of GUS or another, I'm sol. My GUSMax died years ago. Sad day for me.

Anyhow, if you can get me that song, I'll love you for ever and ever. Heh.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Hadji
....Anyhow, if you can get me that song, I'll love you for ever and ever. Heh.
In a non-sexual sort of way, right? Just need to clarify that. :D

(Sorry, can't resist)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by Hadji
You ripped the Stars music?! GIVE! I sooooo want that music. Pleasepleaseplease, and other types of begging.
Well, I released the song in an archive called STARSMUZ.ZIP, which I uploaded to Hornet (as it was then, RIP) when I went by the nick "PageFault" (I changed nick shortly afterwards, due to a clash on IRC with another person who had been using the nick longer. I gratiously changed my nick to it's current form).
Anyway, doing a quick search of the web, I got a hit on a Japanese site! Check here. It has a link to the file, which is in S3M format. The original was in 16 channel mod format, and in two chunks. Not many players supported 16 channel mods then, so I changed the format and merged the two chunks together. When they released the patched version of Stars, they merged the two 16 channel mods togther, and made an illegally formatted .MOD file (it had too many patterns in the play list, basically, so they made the pattern list larger). I also converted the individual .MODS together in to one large 16 channel .MOD, and managed to make it legal by using the slack space in each pattern (they issue a pattern break 3/4 the way through most patterns, thereby leaving 1/4 of a pattern slack) but I had to loop-unroll any pattern loops, and reorganise the pattern data, and I wasn't happy about this as it deviated too far away from the original song format. So I settled for the .S3M format of the song, which was more true to the original form of the music :) And that was all over 5 years ago now, and I remember it like yesterday :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know the feeling. I miss the good ol' days of early irc and even pre-internet bbsing. Those were certainly the days. All music was tracked (what's an mp3?), games were actually GOOD and not canned crap, the demo scene was loaded... I hate that I can't go back.

ps. I'm glad you went through all that trouble to rip the song. What you explained must be why mrip wouldn't grab it.

On a related note, did you ever watch Encore by tpolm? I've a question about the song from that, which involves mikmod and proper playing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the non-working link he was refering to was in regards to the V5 bios. Personally, I already download the song we were discussing from the japanese site.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts