Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bit-tech.net | Feature - Is PC Gaming Dying?

Well, the title of the article might be misleading and... "offending" to some at first, but please read through. It ain't concluding with PC gaming dying, mmkay? ;)

There are some points in there I would like to argue with, but all in all, the conclusion hit my nail on the head: PC is the ultimate gaming system. Hands down. Developers just don't try so hard anymore.

Read and debate, please, and if you have to bring consoles into the discussion, don't flamebait. :p

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
I know. But that's just a reflex of the current state of games in general. Take the latest Final Fantasy games as an example. About the article.. The guy is right on some aspects but wrong in others. He forgot to mention how the latest ports to PC have been extremely sucessful, specially the ones by capcom. DMC4, SF4... The Last Remnant despite not being a port destroyed 360 version too. =p

I sense a certain fanboyism by this Joe Martin guy. He shouldn't let his fanboy side come through in his articles, afterall he is a media writer. The guy didn't even mentioned Dragon Age the title that is going to kick ass this year.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I disagree with the DRM, I haven't pirated games because of DRM, I just don't buy the offending games. I like having the license to PC games long term and hope to be playing the games I buy in 2009 in 2019 if you get my drift, you can't expect that with a console or online registration, particularly with limited installs.

I have wanted to buy a 360, but I seriously doubt it will last 3 years let alone 10 thanks to RROD, but I doubt much better from a PS3, my PS2 dying barely at 3 years. The way gaming is going I would not be surprised if in 10 years I stop buying consoles and PC games and just decide to play the systems I own until they break.

Consumers keep getting treated poorly by gaming companies and at some point there will be many gamers saying bleep you to the gaming industry. It will probably be when you can no longer trade in console games or rent them or buy them used, when they are serialized just like PC games now.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
I disagree with the DRM, I haven't pirated games because of DRM, I just don't buy the offending games. I like having the license to PC games long term and hope to be playing the games I buy in 2009 in 2019 if you get my drift, you can't expect that with a console or online registration, particularly with limited installs.

I have wanted to buy a 360, but I seriously doubt it will last 3 years let alone 10 thanks to RROD, but I doubt much better from a PS3, my PS2 dying barely at 3 years. The way gaming is going I would not be surprised if in 10 years I stop buying consoles and PC games and just decide to play the systems I own until they break.

Consumers keep getting treated poorly by gaming companies and at some point there will be many gamers saying bleep you to the gaming industry. It will probably be when you can no longer trade in console games or rent them or buy them used, when they are serialized just like PC games now.
Consoles shouldn't do that. They would be kicking themselves in the teeth. You can't crack console games. I think people still bear with DRM in PC because they can crack their way around it.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
You can easily 'crack' the Xbox 360, PSP, Wii, and DS. The only one that hasn't had its fair share of tampering so far is the PS3.

The only real difference between PC and Console gamers is the fact that the majority of PC users are more educated about the system, and thus, more are able/willing to pirate their games.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Summary please?
PC gaming isn't literally dying. It's suffering from a lack of "fresh" titles, franchises, and developers. Many devs are flocking to consoles for financial reasons simply because there is more money to be had there. Many of the games that would be fine as a "PC exclusive" are also seeing multiplatform releases, which doesn't help the PC gaming sector look more viable as a gaming platform.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
PC gaming isn't literally dying. It's suffering from a lack of "fresh" titles, franchises, and developers. Many devs are flocking to consoles for financial reasons simply because there is more money to be had there. Many of the games that would be fine as a "PC exclusive" are also seeing multiplatform releases, which doesn't help the PC gaming sector look more viable as a gaming platform.
In my yes you are absolutely right. And anyways with new games computer hardware gets obsolete very quickly whereas most consoles have a very good life span.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Meh I heard that soooo many times. PC gaming is dying, PC gaming is dying. PC has never been more alive. As if console gaming is in it's best shape right now. Consoles are crumbling. Handhelds are owning consoles everywhere. PS3 has been dead for 3 years and 360 has RROD :lol: Just stop babling fanboy bull****. This thread was doing fine.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Good God. Stop with the fanboy bullsh|t when someone talks about consoles from a positive stance. You're the only fanboy here. People like consoles. Deal with it.

Consoles are doing fine. PC is doing all right, but there's no denying there's been a big shift in the last few years, the big reason being because most devs have jumped ship on the PC.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
I'll only stop when you stop. Sony fanboy. You think you're the only one with opinion here don't you ?? You're pathetic. I just want to let you know.. You're opinion don't mean **** to me. And I don't lose my nerves, unlike you. Wanna know why ?? Because I have conviction and you don't. :lol:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
As I mentioned before, it's not dying, but it is getting a bit stale.

The PC gaming industry isn't where it used to be back in the '90s. Back then, we had exclusives like FPSes, online gaming, RTSes, 3D acceleration, game mods... the list goes on and on. Over time though, consoles have come up to task and now has/does these things as well. Obviously, PCs still do some of these better and I don't think consoles may ever take away some of its merits.

It's just that devs are migrating to consoles, some are going exclusively to consoles, abandoning the PC entirely and others are double dipping, doing a multiplatform release on PC and consoles. These multiplatform releases are a no-brainer for me. It's PC all the way for me in these cases. Something to keep in mind though is that a multiplatform release will often "weaken" the actual game. By that, I mean the game isn't as good as it could have been if it were released on a single gaming platform. People are picking up on these multiplatform releases and lack of PC exclusives and crying out that the PC is dying when the only reason it's "dying" is because we are no longer in the golden years of PC gaming. In other words, these people are comparing the '90s PC era to today and noticing that PC gaming isn't where it used to be.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Both PC and Consoles are doing just fine imo neither of them will die out and both will flourish and that's a good thing, PC games are addressed to people who either want more (i don't necesarly mean graphics here) or cause of various things need a PC and using it also for gaming is the best choice for them, consoles on the other hand are great and will never fail you in your gaming also there less complications there, comparing PC's and consoles is like comparing Jeeps and formula 1 cars, both have pro's and con's.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I'll only stop when you stop. Sony fanboy. You think you're the only one with opinion here don't you ?? You're pathetic. I just want to let you know.. You're opinion don't mean **** to me. And I don't lose my nerves, unlike you. Wanna know why ?? Because I have conviction and you don't. :lol:
I'm done with this kind of bull****.

I like my consoles, so I'm a Sony and 360 fanboy. Yes, that's gotta be true.

My opinion doesn't matter. Huh. And here I thought forums were all about being considerate of opinions and not blatantly shutting the door on them.

And you're mistaking conviction with your blinding obsession with PCs over consoles for gaming. The only fanboy on these forums here is you.

I'm outta here. These forums have attracted the most retarded group of people in the last year. And with my final year of college starting, I don't need to deal with tunnel visioned morons like this 12 year old. This guy obviously doesn't do much for a living.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
\

3 years? I've had mine for about 6........it still works fine...........>_>(phat btw)

A ps3 will last a lot longer than 3 years if you don't constantly watch blu ray movies. Same with ps2 and dvds.

Well we can say the same for consoles. Compare the PS1 ages with the current console situation. I think it's pretty clear that console gaming is suffering too. PS1 ages is the console golden ages.
That is a baseless and frivolous statement.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.