Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be building a new PC soon, and I was wondering what kind of proccessor would I have to buy to get acceptable frame rates on PCSX2 for a game like MGS3, or something a little heavier... by the way... I AM NOT GOING TO OVERCLOCK IT!!!! just to make it clear to you guys...

I don't want super high frame rates, to me 25-35 fps is enough...

·
Registered
838 Posts
ok for 25-25 maybe a amd phenom 9850 black edition be awesome. or you can get a amd 6000+ Black edition. or a 5000+ BE or 5400+ thosee are ok with out over clock. but you can over clock these processor with out really overclocking it... they have a unlocked multiplyer so you just have to like raise the voltages and the multiplyer of the processor and your done :) you dont have to overclock the ram or go into real dangerous overclocking like intel users have to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for the help, I was wondering how does the Q9400 look in terms of PCSX2 performance, I know that 4 cores are not used well in PCSX2, but I could use a quad core (work related issues)...

·
The Master of Disguise
811 Posts
A quad should be enough for most of the games if OC'ed to 3.0-3.2GHz. If u have the money go for it, I mean come on, which is more important, pcsx2 or ur job? u could just always get a good cooler after to OC it if needed.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Speed hacks do lower the requirements a decent amount. A CPU already starting around 3Ghz should be decent for MGS. I recall getting ~25-60 FPS on my quad, non overclocked. Depended on the areas.
Yes but those 25fps moments do occur occasionally and its not very enjoyable.

I'm on an overclocked 3.2 ghz conroe (first gen core2 for anyone wondering) + 8800GTX. I'm actually playing through MGS3 right now.

All the optimal game hacks have all been set.

I've seen fps dip for a few seconds as low as 18 (for an ingame scripted video sequences) but so far usually I'm getting around 40-65fps during gameplay. Not bad, and even 40fps doesn't interfere to much with gameplay or enjoyability. In game video sequences seem to run consistently slower then the actual gameplay parts.

(For anyone wondering (not you dax)) Alot of it has to do with polygon count. In areas where the view is expansive and poly count is high the is more slowdown. In MGS3 in 3D environments with lower polygon count i've seen the framerate shoot up as high as ~100fps.

A current 3.2ghz second gen core2 duo or quad (a wolfdale or yorkfield) should be about 10% faster then my 1st gen 3.2ghz core2.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
If you won't be overclocking, you want to shoot as high on the lineup as possible. For PCSX2, as long as you have two cores, then speed trumps all, and right now, you'd be better off going with a dual core Core 2 Duo for that. Why? If you won't be overclocking, minus the Extreme Edition CPUs, this means going for a Core 2 Duo E8600 (3.33GHz), Core 2 Quad Q9650 (3.0GHz), or a Core i70 940 (2.93GHz). The prices, based on Newegg's prices, are $270 for the Core 2 Duo E8600, $325 for the Core 2 Quad Q9650, and $570 for the Core i7 940. That makes the Core 2 Duo E8600 the fastest and cheapest at the same time for PCSX2, so the question is, how important is PCSX2 in the decision of what CPU to get? If it's a good deal, the answer is obvious.

Then, you have another decision to make. Do you go with an E8400 or E8500 instead of the E8600 in order to save a good deal of money? Even though you won't be overclocking, I'd honestly recommend a E8400 or E8500 over a E8600 to most people, since both are drastically less in price (an E8400 is half the price of the Q9650, and will give exactly the same speed in PCSX2), and then overclock it, but if you don't want to overclock, it still may be worth saving the good deal of money on the E8400 or E8500 instead.

Then consider what video card you'll be pairing it with. Did you know that ATI Radeon HD3x00 and Radeon HD4x00 cards put a good deal of load on one of the CPU's cores, and in PCSX2, it greatly shows? If you're getting a dual core CPU, pair it with an nVidia card. If you want an ATi card, you'll need to step up to a quad core CPU.

Overall, for PCSX2, my recommendation is the Core 2 Duo E8500. It's additionally recommended to overclock it, but even if you won't, it doesn't change the recommendation.

·
Site Owner
18,081 Posts
Whats funny about it is that even if he goes lower then a e8500 and gets the e8400, a bump to 3.4ghz wouldn't even nudge the temps that much. 3.4 is child's play for a Penryn cpu on stock air.

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,332 Posts
Wow, i prefer a phenom II 940 it's only $200, much better than E8400 and pretty close to Q9650. I'm the only one who thinks that amd processors are good? Because everyone are offering only intel processors :S
well .. everyone is offering an Intel becasue the C2D are the best perormers for PCSX2 for the time being , we didnt have many guys here testing the new Phenoms
but if you want to upgrade the cpu only for the sake of PCSX2 i suggest the E8400 and a nice P35-P45 mobo so that u can easily overclock from windows
no need to go through the hassle of Bios tweaking (you only choose the overclocking profile and press ok , yes its this easy)

and dont forget ; some games not only need a good CPU ; a good grafix card is also needed in order to play PS2 games in higher resolution (the reason we are actually using PCSX2 for)
a 8800 gt or up should suffice i presume

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Right now from what you can find on store shelves a 9800GT (just a remarketed 8800GT) is point where you get pretty much all the power you get all the gpu power you and need will see diminished return for you investment in pcsx2.

9800GT will be able to handle MGS3 at 1680x1050. My 8800GTX can handle resolutions like 3000x2000 in mgs3 with almost no difficulty. The 9800GT does have a narrow 256bit bus memory width but for graphically unintensive ps2 games there are only a few games it may make a slight difference. There are a few games like gran turismo 4 that the jump to the next level... a GTS 250 may make a slight difference. If you be utterly certain you can play everything at 1920x1200 or higher get a GTS 250.
If you don't mind the reassurance you playing all your games around 1680x1050 then you'd be fine with a 9800GT. Usually 8800GT/9800GT can handle res of 1920x1200 in most ps2 games as well.

No need to go to a GTX 260 that is massive overkill. Infact GTS 250 may be a bit of an overkill as well depending on what resolution you play at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.