Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, I think epsxe and Adripsx and all the other PSEmu Pro-based emulators are SORRY pieces of software at the moment. And here you will see why.

1) There is no coordination between any of the multitudes of plugins. They all act differently, do not play the same games, and, at least on my machine, all crash at different times. Also, there is no standard way of selecting between them quickly and easily. More on this later.

2) The CD-ROM plugins simply do not work well, not nearly to the point at which the CD-ROM function in Bleem works. They need a common, well-debugged code base from which to expand on. Or something. I tried all of the plugins on my Windows 2000 based machine, and none worked for any games (except a small part of GT1). Most just sat there after loading without even accessing the CDROM drive. yes, I have installed ASPI drivers through ForceAPSI and other methods. Also I'm using a SCSI CD-ROM but after installing an IDE it didn't work much better

3) The sound drivers suck big-time. I tried running the first few parts of Gran Turismo (the only parts I could get to, before a controller plugin bug prevented proceeding) and the only plugin that wouldn't crash epsxe or the whole system was the Core epsxe sound plugin. That one was stuttering and lame-sounding too.

4) There should be an easy, seamless way to run any game you want, WITHOUT having to change multitudes of options and plugins for each game. Right now this system of configuration makes emulation seem like a hacker's hobby (which it shouldn't be, if you guys ever want it to be successful). What we need is a standard system to select (or DETECT!!) correct settings that work for all systems, from a long, centralized list of games. That means people update the list on the net and then people download it to their emulator directories and everything will run first time, no hassle.

There you go, that's why PSX emulation at this point needs some serious working on and I've proposed ways to fix it. Personally I'm not gonna download or try an emulator again until a REALLY big advance is made, such as a version 2 that has automatic configuration. Saves me a lot of pain and wasted effort. (Especially because I'm running Windows 2000 and a SCSI cd-rom drive)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Do u know that people who made fpse; adripsx, epsxe , psxinex are doing it for free?they ve made it during their free time.
If u can t understand that....
If u really have problems and want to fix them, these forums are here for it.

If u re just nervous cuz' u haven t succeeded to run a game, don t flame any emu authors...
they re not the one at fault.

at last, if u don t want to d/l an emu until it works perfectly and easily for ur machine, FINE!
do whatever u want and don t bother us w/ ur laments.

this is a forum.
not a flameboard.

bye

·
Registered
18 Posts
hm

someone should delete this thread, i don't see any constructive critique.. just some kid who dosen't understand how to use ePSXeCutor.

(btw.. win2k here w/ a scsi cdrom and I have no problems..)

·
Registered
59 Posts
heh...my favorite saying....

It's a poor musician who blames the instrument.

I run ePSXe flawlessly with tons of games. I love it.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by eclipsewave
That's right, I think epsxe and Adripsx and all the other PSEmu Pro-based emulators are SORRY pieces of software at the moment. And here you will see why.

1) There is no coordination between any of the multitudes of plugins. They all act differently, do not play the same games, and, at least on my machine, all crash at different times. Also, there is no standard way of selecting between them quickly and easily. More on this later.

2) The CD-ROM plugins simply do not work well, not nearly to the point at which the CD-ROM function in Bleem works. They need a common, well-debugged code base from which to expand on. Or something. I tried all of the plugins on my Windows 2000 based machine, and none worked for any games (except a small part of GT1). Most just sat there after loading without even accessing the CDROM drive. yes, I have installed ASPI drivers through ForceAPSI and other methods. Also I'm using a SCSI CD-ROM but after installing an IDE it didn't work much better

3) The sound drivers suck big-time. I tried running the first few parts of Gran Turismo (the only parts I could get to, before a controller plugin bug prevented proceeding) and the only plugin that wouldn't crash epsxe or the whole system was the Core epsxe sound plugin. That one was stuttering and lame-sounding too.

4) There should be an easy, seamless way to run any game you want, WITHOUT having to change multitudes of options and plugins for each game. Right now this system of configuration makes emulation seem like a hacker's hobby (which it shouldn't be, if you guys ever want it to be successful). What we need is a standard system to select (or DETECT!!) correct settings that work for all systems, from a long, centralized list of games. That means people update the list on the net and then people download it to their emulator directories and everything will run first time, no hassle.

There you go, that's why PSX emulation at this point needs some serious working on and I've proposed ways to fix it. Personally I'm not gonna download or try an emulator again until a REALLY big advance is made, such as a version 2 that has automatic configuration. Saves me a lot of pain and wasted effort. (Especially because I'm running Windows 2000 and a SCSI cd-rom drive)
uhm
maybe this helps:
ePSXe does not run correctly on a cyrix 200mhz or similar computer, which you apparantly have.
Also, you don't seem to be able to configure the emu properly, that's obvious.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by eclipsewave

Um, theres something called the Plugin Specification! Its used so that anyone with programming knowledge can create a plugin, that can work with the emulators! What the author does with it is purely up to them! There are no rules which they have to abide by, i.e. they don't all have to run x Game using y settings!!
Why should there be coordination between them? the Authors create their own ways of doing things! If they all followed each other then less games would probably work!
Also if you want a quick way! use ePSXeCutor as stated! Its really worth it if you want to play multiple games with different settings!

Your point being? Bleem doesn't even run on Win2k! as Quoted from Pete's new DSound SPU
If you want something to be done right, better do it yourself :)
I.E. if you're not satisfied with the way a plugin works, get the spec and make your own that works with your system! no-one is stopping you!

Sounds (no pun intended) like you've probably got an issue with your drivers! Also are you getting a FULL 50/60 Frames per second? if not then thats where your problem is!

Well with Pete's ePSXeCutor, it makes it easy to manage the plugins for each game! also Pete has his "newbie" Fast and Nice settings in his GPU's! You can never have too many options to fiddle with! :)

Do you really think the authors would care if you didn't download or use it?

As I said, if you're not happy with the way the plugins work on your system, then create your own for your hardware! See how far you get! ;)

If you love Bleem so much then stick to it! As its "hassle-free"

BTW ePSXe runs almost alll my games almost (if not completely) flawlessly! and most have minor adjustments to my "regular" settings! which I think applies to most people here!

Oh and one last thing it might help to read most of the ReadMe files supplied with the plugins, then you'll understand what each config setting does!

*rant over*

·
Penadinho
2,599 Posts
The same old case...

Guys, this is the same old case we're used to read...

"Oh, I'm too stupid to configure the emulator and my computer sux so much that it crashes all the time so... THE EMU SUX!"

It's so easy to blame on the others, isn't it?

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
If you can't get epsxe to work with any of the configurations then there's something obviously wrong with your system. I've been able to get it to work reasonably well even on my ancient TNT2 video card. If it doesn't work don't blame the emulator or the authors. It's just not for you so accept it and move on.

If you're unhappy with epsxe(and all the other plug-in emulators) then use VGS. I personally find VGS to be VERY simple to use (just insert a game and it starts) and the CD-ROM support is the best out of all the emulators I've tried, as well as the music and sound(although it's missing some sounds). The graphics department is the only area where it's lacking but the compatibility makes it worth it.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Eclipsewave,

You're free to express you opinions on ePSXe and PSX emulation in general, but people will never listen to you unless you drop you attitute. Don't act like the programmers, or anyone else here owes you anything.

Now, next time you have a problem with an emu, try posting a message here. I'm sure everyone will try to help you.

[]s Badaro

S

·
0 Posts
Eclipsewave, I have seen this kind of post so much that I don't even want to respond any more. So I'm not going to as the other members have done a very job of stating exactally how it is. One thing though, these emulators are free, they are done in the author's free time, and they are done because the authors enjoy emulation and wish to share w/others. As has been said, if you don't like ithem, don't use them. It will be "no skin off their noses" if you don't. If you choose not to use them, then, so much the better. But don't complain, it only annoys others and accomplishes nothing, except for closing this thread. Which I am now doing.
sx/amiga

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.