Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Xbox1 being emulated on PS3?

Would like to know if such a thing is possible?
Would it be considered easier/harder than Emulation on PC?

(I'm not asking for it to happen).

Also thanks. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There already is an Xbox emulator. Two or three in fact. Or did you mean 360?

360/PS3 emulation won't happen for a loooooooong time.
Ooops, I worded it wrong.

I mean like, Xbox1 being emulated on PS3 (since homebrew is 100% possible)
I edited. xD

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
xbox emulation on the PS3 will never happen

·
ライチュウ|タオ
4,016 Posts
ObiKKa, I would say no, it doesn't make it any easier/more possible to port those specific emulators, because from what I understand, they more or less convert [on the fly] xbox programs to Windows programs and run them, only emulating the bare minimum parts of the hardware to get them working, since PCs are highly similar to the Xbox.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For that to happens, xbox emulator must be LLE and that's just for start. LLE emu would be more demanding than PCSX2 and it is questionable does PS3 have that much procesing power. It is not general purpose efficient machine (except for the games).

·
Registered
907 Posts
Xbox emulation on ps3.

mmm nice idea, but would it be possible. answer is yes.
will this be on a short time.. answer, no and probably will never happen.

Xbox1 emulators these days depend very heavy on a windows based kernel.
Removeing this kernel and the xbox software will not run.

Would it be possible to run xbox on ps3...
To do this directly this is not possible because it has no windows based. so there are some options to make this work.

1st option.. running xp on a ps3.
2e option.. get the xbox emulators running on lunix. then you can get the emulators running on ps3 with lunix.

If you talking about native xbox emu with hacks and cracks like those as GeoHot hack.
This will probably never happen.

remember geohot is fun.. but you still need to have the chaintools. and very good decumentation of how to program the cell cores.

So before i write to much info .. and going into details.. Xbox emu on ps3.. will probably never happen.

dont forget how much trouble you get from sce and sony, this is something you dont want as developer.
Xbox1 is a death product of Microsoft.. ps3 is still sony`s cash cow. so before you know it, you are screwed.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
What is the point? You are better off using a real Xbox.

Obikka: PS3 uses PPC64 arch which is not compatible with x86 so no it will never happen.

·
代言人
7,175 Posts
Most developers develop on XBox because PS3 has a tough hardware to work with, so emulating XBox on PS3... will never happen.

You will find gazillion compatibility issues with the hardware itself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Obikka: PS3 uses PPC64 arch which is not compatible with x86 so no it will never happen.
Thank you. Yeah I'm also aware of the fact that all of the current-generation consoles uses the IBM-sourced PPC CPUs. In fact, I read a rumour somewhere, maybe on the Net, that Nintendo is considering another IBM CPU for their next successor to the Wii. I think their idea (which they'll never reveal right to the public) is that it's easier to ride on the bandwagon of the other 2 bigger console manufacturers, and hence makes it easier (& cheaper!) for the developers to port and/or develop multi-platform games on their future Nintendo consoles because they already have got experience with the same kind of CPU architecture from the same company.

Most developers develop on XBox because PS3 has a tough hardware to work with, so emulating XBox on PS3... will never happen.

You will find gazillion compatibility issues with the hardware itself.
Oh wow, yeah we don't really need to run a Xbox emulator on such a strange, foreign electronic device when we've already got the evergreen, reliable, and relatively future-proof Windows operating system platform(s) to use. AND, add in the fact that there are now quite a few different types of computers to use - from the desktop to the laptop/notebook, netbooks, tablet computers, touchscreen handheld devices (eg. Samsung Galaxy Tab, but that Android OS...?). Or Connect a laptop through a HDMI cable, or whatever the cable of the future will be to a TV screen plus a controller connected to the computer for playing games.

I know some may suggest that you do need an Xbox console (which must also be modded) to connect it to a laptop computer in order to run the Xbox discs, if you don't wanna run a game from an backup ISO file.

End of my 2 cents' worth..

* Edit: Probably this thread should be sticked, coz I notice a fair number of people asking this and that question at vastly different times about whether a Xbox emulator will be run on this or that console. I think this thread is just enough information to stop them asking the same question again.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
* Edit: Probably this thread should be sticked, coz I notice a fair number of people asking this and that question at vastly different times about whether a Xbox emulator will be run on this or that console. I think this thread is just enough information to stop them asking the same question again.
Honestly, this thread should be closed since it's pointless to even discuss it. I'm just letting patrick or shadow make that call this time.

A FAQ of some sort would be more efficient since it's a frequently asked question as you state.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Luckily, I have enough rights here to post in closed threads, so here goes my (hopefully constructive) final answer;

As with any emulator, running Dxbx on a system that does not have a CPU comparable to the one present in the system being emulated (in this case the Pentium-like processor from the Xbox1) would require a CPU emulator. Currently, we don't have a CPU emulator, since we can just run the Xbox1 code on the host CPU (with a few small modifications here and there to cater for hardware-differences). Add to that, that Delphi (the language in which we program Dxbx) doesn't compile for other target CPUs right now, so that's two reasons you won't see a port of Dxbx to anything else but wintel machines.

I cannot answer for Cxbx or any other Xbox emulator potentially out there. But I *can* tell that the Xbox360 does emulate the Xbox1 to quite an extend, so it *is* proven to be possible. (Of course it's possible, you /just/ need enough information, dedication & time and you could emulate everything... Maybe not full-speed, but all that requires, is faster hardware.)

Is it easy? No. Is it hard then? No, it's not that.

The problem is lack of information, and lack of capable & motivated people to work on this.
Microsoft had a vested interested to emulate the Xbox1, so they assigned a whole team of payed professionals working on it, with access to all information needed to build their emulator. (As a sidenote, with information I mean documentation on the hardware, original source code of the bios, kernel, libraries, and games even, access to the build-chain, tooling, test setups and lots of other stuff you're going to need to emulate a system like the Xbox1.)

We, open source developers have to do our work without much of this, so we have to attack it as a black box, and have to piece together a mental image of the way the Xbox1 works by methods of experimentation, clean room reverse engineering and what not. Only when we know (a bit) how the Xbox1 works, we can try and devise a method that can emulate it.

That's why I have great respect for the early day hackers, and the original team that worked on Cxbx (with good results!) not long after the system was released. Now, we have a bit more information and faster systems to work with, so it's become a bit easier now to work on Xbox1 emulation.

But we're just a small group of people, and not many have enough interest to really invest their time in this. So as I always say : More developers are welcome!

Thanks for reading, I hope this explains it enough.

Cheers,
PatrickvL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.