Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says it dumps a "mec" file. I was just wondering what this mec file is? Also, when I used the dumper over my network adapter with ps2 link 1.24 I got errors on my pc client and it did not dump any of my other BIOS files, just the mec and I believe it was not the whole mec file. I should note I was already succesful in dumping my rom0(SCPH30001 v3 1.20 USA), rom1, rom2, erom and nvm using the older dumpbios program. I was just wondering if there is really any use to getting this to work as opposed to the older program?

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
it doesnt matter too much, if one doesnt exist pcsx2 will create one. im not quite sure on the .mec files function tho

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is there a guide to how to use this program anywhere? When I try to use this program the way that worked for the old utility I get this in my pc client(InLink v1.3.2):
Inlink said:
[NET] : Executing host: D:\Emulators\PS2\Bios Dumper\ps2dump.elf ...
Setting Curent Directory to D:\Emulators\PS2\Bios Dumper\.
Executing Elf host: D:\Emulators\PS2\Bios Dumper\ps2dump.elf...
loadelf: fname host: D:\Emulators\PS2\Bios Dumper\ps2dump.elf secname all
Input ELF format filename = host: D:\Emulators\PS2\Bios Dumper\ps2dump.elf
0 00200000 00006adc .
Loaded, host: D:\Emulators\PS2\Bios Dumper\ps2dump.elf
start address 0x2000e0
gp address 00000000

PS2Dump - v1.1

open name rom0:ROMVER flag 1 data 41378
open fd = 2

Reading Mechacon Version

Dumping Mechacon Version
open name host0:SCPH-30001_BIOS_V3_USA_120.MEC flag 603 data 41378
[FILE] : Cannot Open SCPH-30001_BIOS_V3_USA_120.MEC #0
open fd = -1
Error writing mechacon version to file
Also, do I need to have the program in my host directory or on my memory card.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Ran fine for me using Xlink beta from ps2dev.org

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks every one for the help, I got it working. The problem was my ps2link for some reason was failing to load PS2NETFS.IRX, I reinstalled the exploit and ps2link and got it working properly. I also have a followup question for auMatt, do I need to rename the .mec and .bba files to anything or does it matter and does pcsx2 0.8.1 currently use either of these two new files for anything ATM.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
BCM124 said:
Thanks every one for the help, I got it working. The problem was my ps2link for some reason was failing to load PS2NETFS.IRX, I reinstalled the exploit and ps2link and got it working properly. I also have a followup question for auMatt, do I need to rename the .mec and .bba files to anything or does it matter and does pcsx2 0.8.1 currently use either of these two new files for anything ATM.
Nope, leave all BIOS file names alone and put them in the BIOS directory, and you're all set.:) By having an unedited .MEC file, the emulator will show real version information correctly of the machine it was ripped from, as opposed to just having the main BIOS .BIN file which would show it as an unknown version..:D You can see this example in the attached screen shot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
generalplot said:
Nope, leave all BIOS file names alone and put them in the BIOS directory, and you're all set.:) By having an unedited .MEC file, the emulator will show real version information correctly of the machine it was ripped from, as opposed to just having the main BIOS .BIN file which would show it as an unknown version..:D You can see this example in the attached screen shot.
Actually the version details come from the nvm file. the mec file contains the mechacon version. which pcsx2 will generate a faked one if one isnt found. but using the real one will ensure 100% compatibility.

auMatt

ps. at the moment I dont think any version besides the latest closed beta/cvs builds support bba/mec stuff.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
si_ok said:
just curious, the ps1 driver, is that embedded within the bios rom itself?
It's part of the IOP processor which if I remember this right is embedded in the main BIOS file.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
generalplot said:
It's part of the IOP processor which if I remember this right is embedded in the main BIOS file.

the IOP processor is embedded in the BIOS oO as far as i know the bios contains some stuff for PS1, the IOP processor is in all reality a PS1 chip with a few extras and changes, the games as simply run from that processor, but the PS1 did not have a VU unit, it was processed entirely on the IOP processor and the GPU for PS1 side has not been implemented, this is why PS1 games do not work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.