Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that on planethardware.com, they said that the kyro 2 ( Hercules' 3D Prophet 4500) can compete against the geforce2 ultra, and as for the looks of the test it really did. Is that really true, the kyro 2 is somewhat kinda better than the geforce2 ultra, i thought it was only a little better than the geforce2 mx, not the ultra nor the gts or pro

·
Registered
513 Posts
In many ways the Kyro can compete with the GeForce 2 series, but it lacks an effective T&L engine and, as a result, can slow down considerably in many many games (conversely, the GeForce *does* have such an engine and doesn't suffer from such problems). Supposedly the Kyro 3 will address these issues, but I haven't heard anything certain.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by cluthu
it lacks an effective T&L engine and, as a result, can slow down considerably in many many games.
What many many games? I can only name a handful of games that use T&L.
I did read on some reliable looking site(don't remember which one) that Kyro 3 will have a hardware T&L engine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>What many many games? I can only name a handful of games
>that use T&L.
Serious Sam, and a few others. From the article I'd read an increasing number of newer games require it, though they did mention that if you're into older FPSes and such (UT, Quake 3) it performs admirably.

Really though, I wasn't saying that I thought the Kyro was a poor card, I was just mentioning something I'd seen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The GF2 line is extremely limited by memory bandwith, so the Kyro can beat them in high resolution/high detail/32bit color scenes. The Kyro is very competitive against a GTS at 1024x768x32bit and up. Those cases of it beating an Ultra are during FSAA(the Kyro is amazingly fast at it) and when there is a lot of overdraw.

On a side note GF2 GTS and Pro prices have fallen a lot lately, so the Kyro2 isn't really able to complete with a GF2MX price wise anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts